Dyer's best position in relation to the team?

Guest Knightrider
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Knightrider

I'm not a big fan of Kieron Dyer the player nor care much for him as a person, if I had my own way he would have been peddled years ago, I think he is a liability with his injuries and has done enough off the pitch to be made an example of ala Bellamy. However he has somehow survived and while he has a long way to go to repay back even some of the faith shown to him over the years least of all the medical expenses, but the good will of fans too, it has to be said, he is today one of our most important players and not only playing well (he is) but contributing in ways he rarely did, even when fit and playing in a decent team under Sir Bobby Robson.

What this is down to is open to conjecture, is he reformed, is he over his injury problems, has he finally woken up, who knows, that doesn't concern me, what does is his position in the team, in relation to the team. I.e. getting the best out of Dyer to benefit both himself and more importantly the team.

Since he signed for Newcastle he has played across the midfield, at right-back and up front, but what exactly is his best position?

Vote and discuss please.

Cheers.

Guest Knightrider

BTW I'm not so sure myself as to what is his best position, for me it depends on the opposition and the tactics being used.

Very tricky question. He's been good as a striker this season but I thought he was absolutely superb against AZ on the right wing, his work rate was fantastic and he linked really well with the front 2.

I'd say at the moment accomadate him where you can.

That's a tricky one, I think he'd be best when allowed to just float about.  So I'll go for striker, but in the 'free role'.

I agree with this. Give him a licence to roam. The more space and freedom he has, the more damage he can do.

It means to an extent building the side around him, but I'd be happy with that.

He could also be given a roving role in a last season Chelsea style 4-3-3.

Guest Knightrider

Aye, he was fantastic against AZ, yet he was as equally good against Spurs in the middle, for different reasons. Is he, dare I say it, becoming a man for all seasons so to speak, where THIS Newcastle team is concerned? Either way it is good just to be getting something positive or productive out of him for a change, I must say, he's surprised me and long may it continue... for the benefit of the team if nowt else. Probably jinxed him now like ???

Guest nufc_geordie

I voted for ACM (in the hole) but IMO Newcastle do not play a style of football to suit Dyer. He is not compatible with a 4-4-2 formation in my eyes as he is wasted stuck out wide right (athough he is capable of doing a job there) and I feel he is far too lightweight to be a (one of two) centre midfielder. Upfront he is not creative or prolific enough. In a 4-3-3/4-5-1 with the right set-up i.e. Chelsea where there is a holding player and he is free from defensive responsibilities I think he will do an excellent job linking midfield and attack and breaking from midfield but other than in that role I feel he is wasted.

In an ideal world I would sell him for a direct replacement as a definite centre midfielder or striker, but in the real world in what I believe is a relatively poor Newcastle side we need someone like him to open a few doors. Yes, I would replace him, but only after other areas are fixed first.

Cue OTT rant by Ally...

And ACM. I think he's decent on the right too but if he doesn't want to play there then if we can make him happy, play him in the middle as he'd prefer.

Ott my arse.

His best position for me is probably behind the striker like has this season, but I don't particularly rate him there - he's just better there than on the wing or as a non-tackling central midfielder.

As far as i'm concerned though, when people say someone is 'really versatile' its another way of saying that they aren't really good enough in any position to make it their own, hence them getting shunted about. He's one of those players you get sometimes who just has no real technical football ability. His first touch isn't great, you very rarely see him hit the ball with his laces, he can't cross etc etc. Reasonably effective due to his pace though, i'll give him that.

In terms of the poll though, get rid of the bastard. ;)

I wish we could get back every single penny we have spent on the utter cunt and we'd be able to buy a whole new defense, nevermind what fuking position our bling bling boy is best at.

We must have spent £20m+ on transfer fee's signing on fee's and wages, and for what? An odd goal from a spell of 10 games where he didn't get injured.

28 FFS, and we've supplied the twat with a lifestyle only a few 0.0001% of the Country could wish for.

This Dyer wanking is beyond fuking criminal tbh, he's become a footballer for the 1st time since we started paying for him, woophee-fuking-doo.

He aint a striker, he flatters to deceive in that position every time.  There are midfielders out there that are better finsishers than him.

I think on the right wing, when he has a good right back behind him - not when Carr is playing. 

Or potentially behind a front two, but that would mean you are structuring a team round him and he aint that good!

He'd be the ultimate super-sub I reckon. At some point in the second half in any game, he's going to be ideal to throw on.

In a tight game, with neither team creating many chances, he could be thrown on and would immediately ask different questions of the oppositon. Be it up front, down the wing or even in CM he'd be a breath of fresh air.

In a game where we're winning and looking to hold on, throw him on as a striker and use his pace on the counter attack.

If we're losing, throw him on instead of one of the midfielders and he'll likely provide more of an attacking threat than whoever he's replaced.

The only position he could ever be effective week-in, week-out is on the right wing. As a CM, he'd be a liability against the better teams, where we need to scrap for everything and be solid in midfield.

As a striker, he drops too deep against the teams we expect to beat. As a result we often end up playing 5 in the middle against teams we should be looking to throw everything at.

Buthe'll never be the super-sub for us, not on the money he's on.

So either he gets it into his head that he's best on the right hand side or he'll always be a bit of an enigma.

I wish we could get back every single penny we have spent on the utter c*** and we'd be able to buy a whole new defense, nevermind what fuking position our bling bling boy is best at.

We must have spent £20m+ on transfer fee's signing on fee's and wages, and for what? An odd goal from a spell of 10 games where he didn't get injured.

28 FFS, and we've supplied the t*** with a lifestyle only a few 0.0001% of the Country could wish for.

This Dyer wanking is beyond fuking criminal tbh, he's become a footballer for the 1st time since we started paying for him, woophee-fuking-doo.

I really don't understand that attitude. He didn't want to be injured. If at other times he lacked dedication, that's different now. I think he's grown up as a person and as a player.

It's what he's offering us now that counts.

I wish we could get back every single penny we have spent on the utter c*** and we'd be able to buy a whole new defense, nevermind what fuking position our bling bling boy is best at.

28 FFS, and we've supplied the t*** with a lifestyle only a few 0.0001% of the Country could wish for.

I really don't understand that attitude. He didn't want to be injured. If at other times he lacked dedication, that's different now. I think he's grown up as a person and as a player.

It's what he's offering us now that counts.

He has. But its cost us £20m to get that person we have now.

Nice.

I wish we could get back every single penny we have spent on the utter cunt and we'd be able to buy a whole new defense, nevermind what fuking position our bling bling boy is best at.

28 FFS, and we've supplied the twat with a lifestyle only a few 0.0001% of the Country could wish for.

I don't know if thats tongue in cheek, but I wholeheartadly agree. ;)

Guest Ridzuan

He has said many times that he doesnt like to play on the right of midfield,but honestly,I think that is his best position.I think he has done well playing on that position not just this season but the seasons before as well.

Hes a key player for us without a doubt, changes the way we play, but ultimately he has no position. Hes not a striker as he rarely gets into goalscoring positions and in the Premiership has often looked lost up front, hes not a central midfielder as he has zero distribution and only comes into the game when we're on the counter (2% of the time?), and hes not a right winger because firstly we know he doesnt want to play there, but also because he lacks the required crossing ability. He also seems himself as a playmaker, and wants to constantly be "involved" in the play, which isnt ideal for a winger.

Certainly a problem with him. In truth, if he avoids injury till the summer, we'd ideally look to sell. Hes playing well for us, hes in the England squad - now is the time to cash in on an injury prone 28 year old who's game is reliant on pace.

In relation to the team as we are now, CM or ACM.

In relation to NUFC if we were aiming to be genuine contenders for the 5th spot, then looking to push on, then he would have no place.

He's fit for purpose at the moment, but he's not a 'great' player - just a decent player in a poor team.

In relation to the team as we are now, CM or ACM.

In relation to NUFC if we were aiming to be genuine contenders for the 5th spot, then looking to push on, then he would have no place.

He's fit for purpose at the moment, but he's not a 'great' player - just a decent player in a poor team.

I disagree, thinking of the potential 5th place side I think Dyer would find a place in them and would probably find a place in the Liverpool side even if its on the left. Considering Fletcher gets a few games for ManU im sure Dyer would get a few more for them aswell.