AZ Alkmaar 2 - 0 Newcastle United (Agg 4 - 4) - Post match thoughts

Dave

Glenn Roeder insists it has not been another season of failure for Newcastle United, despite their exit from the Uefa Cup.

AZ Alkmaar recorded a 2-0 home win in the second leg of their last 16 tie to go through on away goals after a 4-4 aggregate scoreline.

The defeat will mean another campaign without a trophy for The Magpies, but Roeder refused to look on the gloomy side.

"It is too easy to say it is another season of failure for Newcastle," said Roeder.

"That is just too easy. You know the problems we have had. The squad has been decimated for six months by injuries.

"We have got a few back now, but we have had to pick up points during the season with a team that was minus a dozen senior players.

"There are nine games left now and we need to pick up as many points as we can to make sure we finish as high up the Premiership as we can."

With regards to the defeat in Holland, Roeder felt too many players failed to produce their best form when required.

"Conceding two goals," he added when asked where Newcastle had lost the tie. "We needed to score one and we did not. It is as straightforward as that.

"From our point of view, the two goals were poorly defended. Considering how well we played last week, we played very poorly tonight.

"We had too many players off form, experienced players who I would have expected to do better."

AT FUCKING LAST he used it as an excuse..

He always uses the excuse with a thin caveat to be fair.

"Now I'm not going to say we've had 13 players out injured but... *"blah blah" that is mitigated by the first part of the sentence*"

Guest Ridzuan

Glenn Roeder insists it has not been another season of failure for Newcastle United, despite their exit from the Uefa Cup.

AZ Alkmaar recorded a 2-0 home win in the second leg of their last 16 tie to go through on away goals after a 4-4 aggregate scoreline.

The defeat will mean another campaign without a trophy for The Magpies, but Roeder refused to look on the gloomy side.

"It is too easy to say it is another season of failure for Newcastle," said Roeder.

"That is just too easy. You know the problems we have had. The squad has been decimated for six months by injuries.

"We have got a few back now, but we have had to pick up points during the season with a team that was minus a dozen senior players.

"There are nine games left now and we need to pick up as many points as we can to make sure we finish as high up the Premiership as we can."

With regards to the defeat in Holland, Roeder felt too many players failed to produce their best form when required.

"Conceding two goals," he added when asked where Newcastle had lost the tie. "We needed to score one and we did not. It is as straightforward as that.

"From our point of view, the two goals were poorly defended. Considering how well we played last week, we played very poorly tonight.

"We had too many players off form, experienced players who I would have expected to do better."

AT f****** LAST he used it as an excuse..

Im not trying to protect Glenn here,but thats a fact and something that we have coped very well.Hes not pointing it out as one of the reason why we lost,but whether the entire season has been a failure for us.

Im not trying to protect Glenn here,but thats a fact and something that we have coped very well.Hes not pointing it out as one of the reason why we lost,but whether the entire season has been a failure for us.

I am not trying to protect souness but..

Huntingdale was woeful and he should have put Duff there...I mean how long we gonna put up with such a pub side defence ??? Our LB has been a problematic position for more than 3 years and we have done nothing to sort it out...

But the idiot Roeder should have put Duff there and taken Huntingdale off because he was crap...

Who

To be honest both were crap (Duff and Huntingdon) but our problem was mainly the side backs being exposed and rapped everytime Alkmaar went on the attack...

He's succumbed to it.

After he took over from Souness, and through a large part of this season, "injuries are no excuse" has been his mantra.

And now that the season is over for us, out it comes.

What's changed Glenn? Or am I just being cynical?

Of course its hard when you're missing top players through injury, but injuries don't excuse bad performances from the players who are out there. If you've got top players injured, and the players playing work hard, do everything that they can, but you still lose - then yes, perhaps there is a case for citing injuries.

But that hasn't been the case, not under Souness, not under Roeder. The fact is we've seen players underperform. We haven't had all our best players injured and they've underperformed.

I'm sorry Glenn, but it doesn't wash, and I'm disappointed that you've resorted to using that line after so much previous insistance that its no excuse.

Souness Mk 2. Fuck off Glenn, fuck off now, you utter utter arsehole.

Can't believe the twat has the nerve to come out with that shite.  >:(

I'm sure the Bramble apologists will try and bail him out, but he was s**** today and his defensive colleages weren't much better.

Taylor was worse.....

You must be selectively blind then.

Taylor elbow was bad, yes he coud have been sent off, plus he lost his man once which could have proved costly but he managed to block.

Bramble was at fault for BOTH goals (first one he played them onside, second one he lost his man for the header) nearly gave away a debated penalty, his tackle he was yellow carded for was horrofic and worse than Taylors elbow. His passing was abysmal as usual and he lost his man countless times. How on earth was he worse than Taylor?

Bramble should have been booted out years ago.

Selective blindness is running in you too...The WHOLE defence was crap crap craaaaapppppppppp...Solano kept lossing the ball, Bramble and Taylor were shocking, Huntingdale is just a kid playing in the wrong playground...

I was impressed though with Alkmaar's defender who was wearing the number 2 top...Who is he ?

Kew Jaliens... Dutch international..

Anyone know more about Kew Jaliens ? Is he this good or was this just a one of performance ? How old is he ? He didn't give Martins the time take a breather...

I'm sure the Bramble apologists will try and bail him out, but he was s**** today and his defensive colleages weren't much better.

Taylor was worse.....

You must be selectively blind then.

Taylor elbow was bad, yes he coud have been sent off, plus he lost his man once which could have proved costly but he managed to block.

Bramble was at fault for BOTH goals (first one he played them onside, second one he lost his man for the header) nearly gave away a debated penalty, his tackle he was yellow carded for was horrofic and worse than Taylors elbow. His passing was abysmal as usual and he lost his man countless times. How on earth was he worse than Taylor?

Bramble should have been booted out years ago.

Selective blindness is running in you too...The WHOLE defence was crap crap craaaaapppppppppp...Solano kept lossing the ball, Bramble and Taylor were shocking, Huntingdale is just a kid playing in the wrong playground...

I was impressed though with Alkmaar's defender who was wearing the number 2 top...Who is he ?

Kew Jaliens... Dutch international..

Anyone know more about Kew Jaliens ? Is he this good or was this just a one of performance ? How old is he ? He didn't give Martins the time take a breather...

Saw him in the WC,wasn't impressed,but some of my dutch mates keep going on about how good he is,he is really fast wich helped him today with Martins,but i still think he won't be a big hit here (Better then Carr though)

Ah, now quotes like that piss me right off, have some balls Glenn.

He has none.

Did you see the bit where van Gaal was slagging him off and Glenn was trying to pretend he was ignoring him, but looked like he was going to cry?

It's reflected throughout our team as well, how much fucking time did they waste in the second half yet pretty much no-one uttered a word - with the notable exception of Shay - making it easy for the ref to not make a decision and give the regulation 3 minutes of added time? 3 minutes, three fucking minutes!?! Ten minutes would have been more like it!!

Souness Mk 2. f*** off Glenn, f*** off now, you utter utter arsehole.

Can't believe the t*** has the nerve to come out with that s****.  >:(

At least he has stopped referring to himself in the 3rd person, something to be grateful for.

This bit really pisses me off though

"Conceding two goals," he added when asked where Newcastle had lost the tie. "We needed to score one and we did not. It is as straightforward as that."

What sort of pathetic attempt at an answer is that?

How were we going to score a goal the way the team was set out?

Don't you think its likely we'll concede two goals if we sit back and invite a team with a great record of scoring goals at home to come at us?

Given how shite we are at the back, is it ever wise to just sit back and rely on our defence to win a tie for us?

When we needed a goal towards the end was it really the best idea to play a narrow 4-3-3 system, given how effective our wingers were against the same team a week ago?

Given how badly bummed we were getting throughout the game, we could have been four or five down with twenty minutes left.

No Glenn, you bottled it. You put out a team that was begging to get beaten and you got what you asked for. It's as straightforward as that.

Ya clown.

Guest Knightrider

Did their 'keeper have a save to make all night? This was probably a worse performance than Lisbon, as in the first half we were quite good, and individual errors lead to our demise, where as tonighht, only Parker and the traveling Geordies turned up.

Souness Mk 2. f*** off Glenn, f*** off now, you utter utter arsehole.

Can't believe the t*** has the nerve to come out with that s****.  >:(

At least he has stopped referring to himself in the 3rd person, something to be grateful for.

This bit really pisses me off though

"Conceding two goals," he added when asked where Newcastle had lost the tie. "We needed to score one and we did not. It is as straightforward as that."

What sort of pathetic attempt at an answer is that?

How were we going to score a goal the way the team was set out?

Don't you think its likely we'll concede two goals if we sit back and invite a team with a great record of scoring goals at home to come at us?

Given how shite we are at the back, is it ever wise to just sit back and rely on our defence to win a tie for us?

When we needed a goal towards the end was it really the best idea to play a narrow 4-3-3 system, given how effective our wingers were against the same team a week ago?

Given how badly bummed we were getting throughout the game, we could have been four or five down with twenty minutes left.

No Glenn, you bottled it. You put out a team that was begging to get beaten and you got what you asked for. It's as straightforward as that.

Ya clown.

Yeah, me too. Is that supposed to be a joke or something? Is he taking the piss!?!

Guest AZ Antwerpen

Bramble is not worth your team.

But I wondered where the team was that AZ met last week????

Guess the same as Newcastle wondered what team they met this week was completly different with the team the met last week.

lets put it this way that the ball is round.

anyway its been a great uefa-cup round and unfortunatly both teams didn't meet in a later stage.

AZ won this one on agressive attack at home and Newcastle didn't expect an AZ like this I guess.

Good luck rest of the season and it was an honour to play against such a great team with such great supporters.

Goodnight

Guest Ridzuan

Bramble is not worth your team.

But I wondered where the team was that AZ met last week????

Guess the same as Newcastle wondered what team they met this week was completly different with the team the met last week.

lets put it this way that the ball is round.

anyway its been a great uefa-cup round and unfortunatly both teams didn't meet in a later stage.

AZ won this one on agressive attack at home and Newcastle didn't expect an AZ like this I guess.

Good luck rest of the season and it was an honour to play against such a great team with such great supporters.

Goodnight

Well,I think yesterday,we were totally poor and didnt deserve to win.Thats us.One day we perform extremely well and the other,we perform like kindergarten kids.Anyway,I hope your team will meet Spurs in the next round and beat them and thats the bottom line because Stone Cold said so.  :occasion14:

Guest Hodgson09

It has gotten to the point where i'm totally indifferent. I have just stopped caring, it just seems if you have any hopes for NUFC you will just be disappointed. I will still support them but I will not have any expectations of the team at the moment. It is just like a big cycle good manager crap manager crap manager good manager. so until we have that good manager and he show he is consistently good i might get some hope back.

How many first team players WHO ARE GOOD ENOUGH TO BE IN THE TOP HALF OF THE PREMIERSHIP are we missing? one?

Why blame Roeder ? I'm not defending him but when your so called BIG players don't turn up for the game what hope is there? You expect the likes of Shambles and kids like Huntingdon/Taylor to fu**up, but Dyer /Duff/Parker and even Nobby fu**ed up. I don't think we could've defended a 3 goal lead on tonights performance.

We have no big players.

Oh, and blaming Roeder? Its largely his fault. He chose the wrong players. The wrong tactics. And he - unlike the AZ manager - was unable, at any point, to see how the game (or 2 legged tie) was going, and amend the way we played to match it. He's fucking awful.