Sami Hyypia

Nobby

Might bring Taylor on a bit and he's very experienced in the Premiership.

Thats the upside. On the downside, he'd get raped by anything with half a yard.

I'd say no and try to get someone with lots of experience but a bit more pace.

That said, as a squad player or a part time player/defensive coach would be a nice, if unrealistic, option.

No doubt if he was available get him here immediately...for me its the same situation as big sol...both defenders of the same calibur....He is getting slower and slower yes but he is massive and would be great here. Give him a defence to run and I think he'd love it...as he is always in the shadow of carragher at liverpool imo...

So in short: Get him in if possible

Would anyone else take Mellberg?

He's not got long on his Villa Contract left and will probably be looking for one last big payday, so he's not out of the question.

I'd have him here in a shot but not sure if he's A) fast enough and B) Vocal enough to develop Taylor and Co.

Thoughts?

Would anyone else take Mellberg?

He's not got long on his Villa Contract left and will probably be looking for one last big payday, so he's not out of the question.

I'd have him here in a shot but not sure if he's A) fast enough and B) Vocal enough to develop Taylor and Co.

Thoughts?

Not so sure about Mellberg but i'll take Hyypia

He has couple of years left so i think he will be good addition to our defence

Finished

Agreed, I think he would be useless out of Liverpool's organisation. Hell, he's not that hot in it. I know he's not that old but with all their long cup runs their are a lot of games in those legs. Steer clear, we signed Hamann last year under similar circumstances - coming to the end, in and out of the side, probably got something left in the tank to offer us - fingers well and truly burnt.

Sol Campbell mark II, i'd have him. We need an experianced head in the defence, i'd probably go for Distin and a nippy fullback to cover for his lack of pace aswell. Distin is as fast as shat off a stick. :thup:

And whoever mentioned Mellberg. :thup: He'd be a very good option aswell, one of the most underrated players in the league IMO.

He cant play under a crap manager. He will get exposed then.

Hyypiä has been making "bramble" errors for Finland national side, but has been rock solid after Roy Hogdson took the charge.

Would take him instantly before Taylor Moore Gooch and Bramble

Guest Bramble OG

Agree we should have had Campbell, but Hyypia? We really need to be setting our sights higher than out of contract defenders that could 'Do a Job' for a year or so.

If we could have had him i january id have took him for the rest of the season, But we need to move on and stop buying shite like Moore,Babayaro,Carr if were going to start moving forward.

I thought he was fairly brilliant in games I saw him in towards the start of the season, when I was watching him a fair bit, but I admittedly haven't seen as much of Liverpool since then and when they've played Hyypia has barely featured. I was genuinely surprised, though, that someone his age was playing so well. He was just reading things so soon, was as imperious in the air as ever and was obviously involved in keeping 'Pool a lot of clean-sheets.

He could well be too far gone and certainly doesn't seem to fit Roeder's "blueprint" for a potential signing, but I certainly wouldn't object to him coming in as a cheap option to replace one of the (hopefully) outgoing Moore & Bramble. He's still miles better than both sans-pace and would be a useful old head to have around the place, if nothing else.

Guest LucaAltieri

Ever since it became apparent Agger was keeping him out of the side I've wanted him... he'd be cheap and could well be what we need to stabilize the back next season. If we could have had him for anything under £1mil I would have had him in January instead of our loanee.

Richard Dunne, Mellberg, Upson, Ferdinand, Tel ben Hiem, Silvestre (Depending on age but can play left back and centre back), Brown and/or Davies.

All of these players are at a good standard. Not great or world class but good. I'd make it priority to either sign two of these or one of these and a quality left back.