Would you take Sam Allardyce?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If Sam took over I would have to top myself, can't stand the fat cunt.

The single most convincing argument in the entire thread. I'm now 100% in favour of Allardyce.  blueyes.gif

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Better than what we have, but not good enough. That and the fact he stands for everything I'm against in football pretty much.

We've all changed our tunes....

Another season of Big Sam proving he can do it, coupled with him adding some flair to his side and us even more desperate than before has swayed many, me included. In our current position Big Sam would be a big improvement, even though I don't think he's the genius some make him out to be.

I would definitely have him as a DOF  but as a Manager, no thanks! we should go for some one better or we'll have the same old shit again, do well for the short term but not over the long haul which is what we want, no short term fixes!.

I would definitely have him as a DOF  but as a Manager, no thanks! we should go for some one better or we'll have the same old shit again, do well for the short term but not over the long haul which is what we want, no short term fixes!.

Big Sam would do the complete opposite which would include a much needed overhaul of our backroom staff/methods.

Big Sam would do the complete opposite which would include a much needed overhaul of our backroom staff/methods.

Yep, Allardyce as you say is the complete opposite to a short term fix. He would come with a long term plan (Can't wait for a certain poster to read that, he loves that word he does! :D ).

Big Sam won't come and Glenn won't leave. My guess is the club are going to leave Roeder in charge until Shearer has done all his badges and he will step up and take over the club and run it how it wants. I would expect a new manager next summer not this.

Guest NSMagpie

Big Sam won't come and Glenn won't leave. My guess is the club are going to leave Roeder in charge until Shearer has done all his badges and he will step up and take over the club and run it how it wants. I would expect a new manager next summer not this.

I agree with the first sentence. However, my guess is that, if Roeder stays, he'll do even worse next season. That would leave NUFC in search for a new manager im mid-season, before Shearer's time.

Not lovely, but likely prospect.

I agree with the first sentence. However, my guess is that, if Roeder stays, he'll do even worse next season. That would leave NUFC in search for a new manager im mid-season, before Shearer's time.

Is Shearer even taking his badges?

From what i've heard his not even thinking about management right now.

Guest Knightrider

Who would want Big Sam?

Money

Since taking over at Bolton Wanderers back in 1999 Big Sam has spent £17.35m which works out at a mere £2.16875m per season (our average spend per season is £9m +), and incredibly he has brought in £23.29m in sales, effectively operating without a budget. The average cost of a Bolton player under his management is less than £500,000 - Big Sam has acheived promotion, a Cup Final, Premiership consolidation and European qualification on half a million pound buys basically. People talk about Arsene Wenger's shrewdness in the transfer market but Big Sam has shown there is no-one better at getting full value for money and working within the confines of a strict budget.

Big Sam is a better manager than Roeder, so I would take him.

But I have doubts if he is able to produce sustained top class results (Ferguson, Benitez, Wenger, Mourinho) even if he is given huge transfer money to spend.

Guest Knightrider

You also have to hand it to him for buying Anelka, it's a sign he is prepared to introduce class when the money is available.

You shouldn't be too surprised, this is the same manager who tried to sign Figo, Beckham, Kluivert and was interested in Ronaldo, Baggio and Weah at one time, players of that class. Also he has signed the likes of Hierro, Okocha, Diouf, Anelka and Djorkaeff who are all technically gifted footballers. This tells me is isn't a manager with archaic ideals. I've watched a lot of Bolton over the years, pretty much since we were first linked with Big Sam a few years back, and really, they play a brand of football not too dissimilar to the one Chelsea and Liverpool play which if you strip away the spin, is direct football played at a high tempo with the emphasis on tactics, midfield domination and transitional play. Obviously the other two are easier on the eye, but then their players are some of the best players in the game, Bolton's aren't.

It is a myth that Bolton play defensive, long-ball cautious football - they don't. They often play with three up front and two wide men and always notch up double figures in attempts at goal. As a result the style of football Big Sam uses wouldn't bother me at all, because it is effective football that wins games or gets points.

Guest NSMagpie

Is Shearer even taking his badges?

From what i've heard his not even thinking about management right now.

That's valid point. Shearer doesn't even have "A" badge, as I know, and he needs "Pro" licence to coach in the Premier League.

But, even if Shearer had all the badges he needed, it would be ludicrous to give someone manager's job in Newcastle before he had any coaching experience in professional football. Even if it's Big Al. By the time Newcastle are looking for the next manager, Shearer won't be available and interested in the job.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2047118,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=5

Hibernian's manager, John Collins, yesterday revealed that his club's youth players were taken for a training session by the former England captain, Alan Shearer, this week.

Shearer is taking his coaching badges in Scotland and spent time at Easter Road on Monday, along with the former Motherwell manager, Terry Butcher, working under the Hibs No2, Tommy Craig.

"Alan was in doing his A licence and Tommy Craig takes the A licence course, so he was here along with a couple of others on Monday afternoon doing a session with our young boys," said Collins. "The kids were surprised, they did not know it was happening."

Guest NSMagpie
"Alan was in doing his A licence and Tommy Craig takes the A licence course, so he was here along with a couple of others on Monday afternoon doing a session with our young boys," said Collins.

So, I was right, Alan still doesn't have A licence, and hee needs Pro licence to manage in the Premier League.

Guest Invicta_Toon

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2047118,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=5

Hibernian's manager, John Collins, yesterday revealed that his club's youth players were taken for a training session by the former England captain, Alan Shearer, this week.

Shearer is taking his coaching badges in Scotland and spent time at Easter Road on Monday, along with the former Motherwell manager, Terry Butcher, working under the Hibs No2, Tommy Craig.

"Alan was in doing his A licence and Tommy Craig takes the A licence course, so he was here along with a couple of others on Monday afternoon doing a session with our young boys," said Collins. "The kids were surprised, they did not know it was happening."

so he's learning to be a coach from someone we let go

"Alan was in doing his A licence and Tommy Craig takes the A licence course, so he was here along with a couple of others on Monday afternoon doing a session with our young boys," said Collins.

So, I was right, Alan still doesn't have A licence, and hee needs Pro licence to manage in the Premier League.

Except Southgate didn't have an A licence either yet was allowed to take over at Boro.

Guest NSMagpie

Except Southgate didn't have an A licence either yet was allowed to take over at Boro.

Well, you don't need to go to Teeside to back your stance. Al will have his A licence soon enough, and Roeder didn't have Pro, and he got the job in NUFC. All Premiership clubs' approval was needed, though.

• 6 years later...