Turk on Trial (Left Back)

Ayerso

The point was just because a player isn't getting a game it doesn't mean he isn't good enough.

True,but comparing RVN with this anonymous guy is just funny

Aye it was an extreme example but it had the same point ie you could say RVN wasn't good enough for ManU if you didn't know the circumstances like we don't with this guy, its unfair to say he isn't good enough for the league when you don't know why he is being left out.

As some have said, lets wait and see before we write the fella off. Although not exactly what I wanted Moore and Sibierski were a lot better than expected.

Neither of them took the club forward, they were cheap players to paper over cracks while money was wasted in other areas.

In the summer we signed Moore, defence was totally neglected while money was poured into midfield and attack (Parker, Emre, Luque, Owen, Solano). A few months later we were giving a trial to a 30-odd year old French left back!

In the summer we signed Sibierski, £5m, a third of the budget for that year, was spent on Duff when we already had a very promising young left winger who has hardly had a game since. A few months later we're forced to take a defender on loan from Standard Liege to make up the numbers.

Moore and Sibierski are bad examples, they're a symbol of how badly our transfer business was conducted in those two transfer windows. There's a reason to be sceptical of this, espescially given Shepherd's record of neglectin defence, espescially the full back positions.

As some have said, lets wait and see before we write the fella off. Although not exactly what I wanted Moore and Sibierski were a lot better than expected.

Neither of them took the club forward, they were cheap players to paper over cracks while money was wasted in other areas.

In the summer we signed Moore, defence was totally neglected while money was poured into midfield and attack (Parker, Emre, Luque, Owen, Solano). A few months later we were giving a trial to a 30-odd year old French left back!

In the summer we signed Sibierski, £5m, a third of the budget for that year, was spent on Duff when we already had a very promising young left winger who has hardly had a game since.

There's a reason to be sceptical of this, espescially given Shepherd's record of neglectin defence, espescially the full back positions.

Thats fair enough and I can understand peoples issues if they believe he will be the only left back but some seem to be completely writing him off when he could be useful back up if (and we bloody well need to) we sign a quality left back aswell.

In the summer we signed Sibierski, £5m, a third of the budget for that year, was spent on Duff when we already had a very promising young left winger who has hardly had a game since.

There's a reason to be sceptical of this, espescially given Shepherd's record of neglectin defence, espescially the full back positions.

Thats fair enough and I can understand peoples issues if they believe he will be the only left back but some seem to be completely writing him off when he could be useful back up if (and we bloody well need to) we sign a quality left back aswell.

Maybe he is decent player i dont know but i highly doubt that

He has never played at this high level the premiership is offering and i dont think at the age of 32 he will be any different

We dont need these kind of players=old,anonymous,on trial...

I really hope nothing will come out of this

I'm not writing him off, there's a chance he'll do what Moore and Sibierski did for us. But I'm saying those players were both terrible signings when you look at the number of points we dropped with them in the team. They may have done better than expected, but they were expected to do nothing. The money wasted in other areas of the team meant we had to get these players in, and considering how many players we need to replace this summer then this never-has-been Turk on trial is a worrying sign of our financial situation, particularly given Shepherd's record with the defence.

I know not a lot of people are impressed with Roeder at the moment, me being one of them! However, people keep goign on about the under 25 thing...I'm sure Roeder didn't mean he would never sign anyone over this age. I think what he meant was that large amounts of money shuldn't be spent on these kinds of players.

For example Campbell was on a free but he would have commanded significantly  high wages especially if he knew we were interested in him.

I have no doubt we will be looking at bringing in a top left back. if we are looking at the likes of this guy it will mean that Babayaro won't evem be kept around as backup.

It's such a shame Roeder has made a mess of things lately because it actually looks like we were prepared to sort out the squad nice and early this summer.

Oh well...

No he said he'd not be signing ANYONE over 25.

His words, not mine.

I'd like to see the quote to back up what you have said. I know he said he'd focus on people under under 25 but I don't think he said he wouldn't sign anyone over 25.

http://www.football.co.uk/newcastle_united/roeder_eyes_young_recruits_241927.shtml

"We will be looking at a lot of players between now and the start of next season and they will be young players aged 25 and under.

"I do not want to bring in big names who are past their shelf-life, but players who have their best days in front of them."

The thread i remember it from:

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=36428.0

He does not say there he does not want anyone over 25. He says he will be looking at players aged 25 and under and doesn't want big names who are past their shelf life. Says nothing about not buying ANYONE over 25.

the thing is it took Roeder an year to see that we don't have a single capable left back (or right) at the club.. and when it finally occurred to him he turns to some 32 year old unknown who was slow as fuck  when i saw him 2 years ago and chances are he's not much quicker now, also i don't think his preferred position is left back.. i can tell you right now, that he won't be approved, because he's fucking shit..

Not against getting players on trial...

But left-back is our shittest area of the team and for yonks now we've been filling the position with shitty, nothingy, crappy, worthless wing-backs who give either very little, or shit all in return.

If there's one area we need to sort out by spending money and getting someone proven in, it's left-back. How come we can do that with strikers and wingers, yet not defenders?

I won't make a confirmed opinion on this bloke, but i'm willing to confidently predict that he's nowhere near the standard we're looking for. That's merely going by his track record, his age, his squat experience in this league, and the fact that he can't get a game at Olympiakos. But i'm reserving judgement. :rolleyes:

I know not a lot of people are impressed with Roeder at the moment, me being one of them! However, people keep goign on about the under 25 thing...I'm sure Roeder didn't mean he would never sign anyone over this age. I think what he meant was that large amounts of money shuldn't be spent on these kinds of players.

For example Campbell was on a free but he would have commanded significantly  high wages especially if he knew we were interested in him.

I have no doubt we will be looking at bringing in a top left back. if we are looking at the likes of this guy it will mean that Babayaro won't evem be kept around as backup.

It's such a shame Roeder has made a mess of things lately because it actually looks like we were prepared to sort out the squad nice and early this summer.

Oh well...

No he said he'd not be signing ANYONE over 25.

His words, not mine.

I'd like to see the quote to back up what you have said. I know he said he'd focus on people under under 25 but I don't think he said he wouldn't sign anyone over 25.

http://www.football.co.uk/newcastle_united/roeder_eyes_young_recruits_241927.shtml

"We will be looking at a lot of players between now and the start of next season and they will be young players aged 25 and under.

"I do not want to bring in big names who are past their shelf-life, but players who have their best days in front of them."

The thread i remember it from:

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=36428.0

He does not say there he does not want anyone over 25. He says he will be looking at players aged 25 and under and doesn't want big names who are past their shelf life. Says nothing about not buying ANYONE over 25.

Jesus Christ you go on like me ex-lass, and tbh, if you knew what she is like, then i'd be banned for over a month from here due to insulting a forum member so badly.

Its blatantly obvious what he means, try and twist it however you like but he's banging on that the palyers he is looking at are 25 and under, and nothing above will do.

Not against getting players on trial...

But left-back is our shittest area of the team and for yonks now we've been filling the position with shitty, nothingy, crappy, worthless wing-backs who give either very little, or shit all in return.

If there's one area we need to sort out by spending money and getting someone proven in, it's left-back. How come we can do that with strikers and wingers, yet not defenders?

I won't make a confirmed opinion on this bloke, but i'm willing to confidently predict that he's nowhere near the standard we're looking for. That's merely going by his track record, his age, his squat experience in this league, and the fact that he can't get a game at Olympiakos. But i'm reserving judgement. :rolleyes:

Good post, sums it up for me.

Guest Sniffer

Roeder also says he doesn't want BIG names past their shelf life.

He doesn't say that he won't consider no names who are past their shelf life so we can't accuse him of misleading us.

Guest Invicta_Toon

people seriously do over simplify stuff tbh

there could be hundreds of reasons why he's not getting a game FFS. We start Carr FFS.

and as for trackrecord of average teams, who the fuck do people think we are?

fucking heads arses up tbh

Guest Invicta_Toon

Is anybody surprised this is the best option for left back our 'scouts' have come up with?

no, considering it's the middle of the season

In the summer we signed Sibierski, £5m, a third of the budget for that year, was spent on Duff when we already had a very promising young left winger who has hardly had a game since. A few months later we're forced to take a defender on loan from Standard Liege to make up the numbers.

Moore and Sibierski are bad examples, they're a symbol of how badly our transfer business was conducted in those two transfer windows. There's a reason to be sceptical of this, espescially given Shepherd's record of neglectin defence, espescially the full back positions.

Moore and Sibs did turn out to be half decent for us, but I don't think for one moment they would have been calculated buys. Both IMO were panic buys as there was nobody else.

Our past two transfer windows could have been handled far better and I don't know who to blame most. It is not solely at the foot of Roeder or Freddie. Both played their part in poor transfer windows. This Left Back I have never heard of let alone seen play. Its not the direction I would like to see the club take but he could turn out to be a useful player, there is no harm on bringing him in on trail, he is free and as Gemmil said if he is shite we can just send him packing!

What a bunch of miserable negative cunts you all are ;D

Stick his name in youtube and you'll see him score an amazing goal against Real Madrid. I, like all of you, can't make any judgement on this player whatsoever as I haven't seen him play...........but the goal was sweet ^-^

Liverpool bought  Arbeloa from Deportivo in Januray window, he cost around 2 M, I guess. He recently turned 24, played center back at Deportivo , played left back against Barca for Liverpool and right back against Arsenal last week and played decent in all those positions. He is the former captain of Madrid's B team. May not be a world beater but why cant Newcastle look at these kind of players young, versatile , comfortable with the ball , a bit suspect defensively but definitely not shite. I am sure there would be such players in other leagues. IMHO, one thing that is against Newcastle in the transfer market is that Roeder does not have the same pulling power as names like Wenger, Benitez , Mourinho or Ferguson. Even with out champions league football, a top managerial name would attract players, I believe.

What a bunch of miserable negative cunts you all are ;D

Stick his name in youtube and you'll see him score an amazing goal against Real Madrid. I, like all of you, can't make any judgement on this player whatsoever as I haven't seen him play...........but the goal was sweet ^-^

probably got murdered for the whole game though :'(