Viduka

Cajun

Guest eyeball_tickler

we've paid considerably more for considerably less in the past.

if he's free, i think it would be a great signing.

He will want 40/50k a week if we get him free.

if this "clear out" does happen then we can give him 40k. 40k a week for 15+ goals a season is a bargain.

Good point....But replace baggage with baggage?

he has 37 goals in 76 starts. i dont consider that baggage.

if this "clear out" does happen then we can give him 40k. 40k a week for 15+ goals a season is a bargain.

Viduka wouldn't really be baggage, not like Carr, Luque, Babayaro etc...

Baggage doesnt offer the team anything, Viduka would.

I agree to an extent and I'm not being a bitch....But I'd rather have Kanu here, think also G how much he can teach the likes of Martins and Shola. Nigeria my brothers. :lol:

Here:

Years Club App (Gls)*

1993-95

1995-98

1998-00

2000-04

2004- Melbourne Knights

Dinamo Zagreb

Celtic

Leeds United

Middlesbrough

48 (40)

82 (40)

37 (30)

130 (59)

67 (21) 

I'm beyond debating about this with you now Parky, tbh.

Viduka has been far superior to Kanu for ages now. Probably ever since Kanu entered the EPL.

You're not looking at the big picture love...Or maybe you are.... I mean BIG..!!

If pushed into a corner and raped by the writers group....I would probably take Fatuka if his wage demands were reasonable. That is the key.

Guest eyeball_tickler

Here:

Years Club App (Gls)*

1993-95

1995-98

1998-00

2000-04

2004- Melbourne Knights

Dinamo Zagreb

Celtic

Leeds United

Middlesbrough

48 (40)

82 (40)

37 (30)

130 (59)

67 (21) 

or.....

Middlesbro  08-07-2004    £ 4500000  52 (15)  21  9 (3)  7  4 (0)  1  11 (3)  8

37 in 76 starts.

Hang on, if we're having a go at Viduka's goal record look at Kanu's ffs!

Done well this year, but for WBA he got 7 in 53, and 30 in 119 for Arsenal is pretty poor aswell considering he played in a quality side.

A while ago I turned my nose up at Viduka, he's always been a very good striker but has always had problems with injuries and a questionable work ethic.

This season though he's done very well for Boro and changed my opinion of him somewhat. I think we're also in a position of beggars can't be choosers as I honestly believe we need to buy a whole new defence in summer. On a free he would complement our strike force nicely, he is a better striker than Sibierski in all aspects of the game, a big physical player with a touch of class about him. Get rid of Sibierski and bring in Viduka and we'd have a healthy striker force for next season: Owen, Martins, Viduka, Ameobi.

We need to start building a squad so we're not left playing untried kids after a few injuries. Players like Viduka and Sidwell on bosmans would help us to do that, they've got Premiership experience so you know what you're getting. Save our transfer funds for plugging the gaps in our squad, such as in defence.

In theory, hed be a great addition as a rotated striker, ie an alternative to Martins and Owen, but you just know under Glenn hell be our first choice forward because we'll be resorting to nothing but long balls, especially if you take Emre and Nobby out of the side which could well be the case next season.

Hes also a similar forward to Ameobi imo, of course a significantly better footballer, but still were talking about a big target man who plays mostly with his back to goal, and for that reason, im not so sure we need him unless Ameobi is getting shipped out or will remain crocked (neither of which will be the case, knowing our luck).

We need a playmaking forward to add to that squad, as Dyer is shiite up front and is never a forward. But since Glenn is desperate on adding a player who will help cover the fact that he cant coach a group of pretty talented players into passing and moving on the deck, Viduka on a reasonable contract (2 years? hes 32) would be a good signing.

It also needs to be said that imo hes a slightly better forward than Ashton, who plenty of people would be more than happy for us to spunk 12mill or something silly on.

A while ago I turned my nose up at Viduka, he's always been a very good striker but has always had problems with injuries and a questionable work ethic.

This season though he's done very well for Boro and changed my opinion of him somewhat. I think we're also in a position of beggars can't be choosers as I honestly believe we need to buy a whole new defence in summer. On a free he would complement our strike force nicely, he is a better striker than Sibierski in all aspects of the game, a big physical player with a touch of class about him. Get rid of Sibierski and bring in Viduka and we'd have a healthy striker force for next season: Owen, Martins, Viduka, Ameobi.

We need to start building a squad so we're not left playing untried kids after a few injuries. Players like Viduka and Sidwell on bosmans would help us to do that, they've got Premiership experience so you know what you're getting. Save our transfer funds for plugging the gaps in our squad, such as in defence.

You raise a good point actually, Viduka may be a stop gap player but his signing could mean we can finally improve our defence with players who aren't stop gaps for once!

In theory, hed be a great addition as a rotated striker, ie an alternative to Martins and Owen, but you just know under Glenn hell be our first choice forward because we'll be resorting to nothing but long balls, especially if you take Emre and Nobby out of the side which could well be the case next season.

Hes also a similar forward to Ameobi imo, of course a significantly better footballer, but still were talking about a big target man who plays mostly with his back to goal, and for that reason, im not so sure we need him unless Ameobi is getting shipped out or will remain crocked (neither of which will be the case, knowing our luck).

We need a playmaking forward to add to that squad, as Dyer is shiite up front and is never a forward. But since Glenn is desperate on adding a player who will help cover the fact that he cant coach a group of pretty talented players into passing and moving on the deck, Viduka on a reasonable contract (2 years? hes 32) would be a good signing.

It also needs to be said that imo hes a slightly better forward than Ashton, who plenty of people would be more than happy for us to spunk 12mill or something silly on.

As usual t you serve up another post of ludicrously high quality...Agree with all of that and the fact we already have Ameobi bit and better not to put long ball temptation in Rodents way.

I am saddened however to see others scurry off and find Kanu's goalscoring stats...He is a creative forward and not an out and out striker he see's passes, one's two and space where others seed darkness. He would link up ideally with the ground football I'd like to see us play behind Owen or Martins, whoever was unavailable.

The other thing people have to understand is that he is on a fair whack at Boro I'd guess 50/60k some even say 70k (you know Boro and their star player wages)...So his reluctance to resign would mean he is expecting the same or more elsewhere. He isn't free...Wages and signing on fee alone he would cost us £5m over 2 years...I doubt he'd sign for one. He also has a history of getting injured and these things don't improve with age. Totally a high risk and deffo NOT FREE signing.

I see G has already backed off to the point of using the freeing up money for def argument. :lol:

He'll cost a signing on fee, but it'd still be a damn sight cheaper than buying another striker. Sibierski isn't good enough now and in a year he'll likely be even poorer. He's not a man who will get us goals, he's not even a striker really. You say Viduka'd cost £5m in signing on fee and wages, but all new signings require wages and we never normally factor that into their price so it's a bit unfair.

Some people tend to turn their noses up at freebies, but even the biggest clubs have done it. Man Utd (Larsson), Chelsea (Ballack), Arsenal (Flamini), Liverpool (Zenden, Aurelio, Fowler, Voronin).

There is an argument for keeping what we've got, with a striker pool of Owen, Martins, Dyer, Ameobi, Sibierski, Carroll. If the rest of the money was going into building a quality defence I could live with that, though strictly speaking two are midfielders and one is an academy player. It all depends on what our budget is like really. I guess what I mean to say is if we can afford to sort out the defence and one or two additions elsewhere then I'd take Viduka up front as he'd give us something different and I reckon his power and link up play would complement both Owen and Martins better than anyone we currently have on our books.

I would MUCH rather take Viduka and spend the money we have for the summer on other positions. Quality players in defense would improve our team ALOT more than going for a expensive striker instead of Viduka who on a free would be a great deal for our club at the moment when you look at the situation we are in.

Have to look at what's best for the team. Yes i would rather have someone younger playe as a striker for now and the future instead of Viduka. But that money is a better investment in other positions.

I PROMISE that if we sign Viduka on a free and put the 5-10m a younger striker would cost (with quality) for extra quality in defense on top of what we have in our transfer kitty it will for sure result in us finishing higher in the league table.

Funny how everyone is just assuming we will be adding strikers next season

I dont know if we will, but if we will i hope the larger amount of our transfer kitty will be invested in our defense...

As usual t you serve up another post of ludicrously high quality...Agree with all of that and the fact we already have Ameobi bit and better not to put long ball temptation in Rodents way.

I am saddened however to see others scurry off and find Kanu's goalscoring stats...He is a creative forward and not an out and out striker he see's passes, one's two and space where others seed darkness. He would link up ideally with the ground football I'd like to see us play behind Owen or Martins, whoever was unavailable.

The other thing people have to understand is that he is on a fair whack at Boro I'd guess 50/60k some even say 70k (you know Boro and their star player wages)...So his reluctance to resign would mean he is expecting the same or more elsewhere. He isn't free...Wages and signing on fee alone he would cost us £5m over 2 years...I doubt he'd sign for one. He also has a history of getting injured and these things don't improve with age. Totally a high risk and deffo NOT FREE signing.

I see G has already backed off to the point of using the freeing up money for def argument. :lol:

I think freeing up money for the defence is a very relevant point, don't you?

Sorry I honestly thought you were joking when you suggested Kanu instead. Viduka can do everything Kanu can do IMO but a whole lot more. With Kanu being 6ft 5 do you honestly believe there is less chance Roeder would use him in exactly the same was as he would Viduka in regards to long ball football? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...