More good news (Krul)

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

from .cock

Keeper Krul Steps Up Comeback

By Craig Hope

TIM Krul has set his sights on a place in the Holland Under-21 squad for this summer's European Championships after stepping up his comeback bid.

The Dutch stopper has not played since his man of the match display during the 1-0 win over Palermo in November, the teenage keeper making a string of magnificent saves to deny the Sicilians.

But a cartilage injury sustained during the warm-up before the Carling Cup tie at Watford has kept Krul sidelined for what he admits has been a frustrating five months.

The 19-year-old told nufc.co.uk: "I'm happy that the injury happened after Palermo because that experience was unbelievable, but it was disappointing because I had a chance to try and break into the team.

"I made one comeback but suffered a setback and I've had to have two operations now.

"I'm feeling good and in the past couple of weeks I've been working with Terry Genoe, it's small steps at the moment but hopefully I'll be back playing sooner rather than later."

Holland play host to this summer's Under-21 European Championships, and Krul is hoping to prove his fitness between now and then and win a place in the Dutch squad.

"I have spoken with the coaches at Holland and they want me to play in a game first," he added.

"Boy Waterman who plays for AZ Alkmaar is the regular goalkeeper, and it will be difficult to get into the starting team because he is playing every week for his club."

Nigel Pearson, James Milner and Steven Taylor will be part of the England squad at the prestigious tournament, which kicks off on June 10.

And Krul said: "I would love to be part of the squad though, especially as a few of my Newcastle team-mates will be playing there.

"If not then it will be a case of hard work over the summer ahead of next season.

"I love it at Newcastle and if the weather stays like it has been recently then I don't think I'll ever leave."

:lol:

"Boy Waterman who plays for AZ Alkmaar is the regular goalkeeper, and it will be difficult to get into the starting team because he is playing every week for his club."

He was shite.

He was s****.

in one game? your point being?

He was s****.

And Krul was fucking class in one game. If he's the first choice, Krul must be in with a shout of pipping him to that spot sooner or later!

Guest smoggeordie

He was s****.

And Krul was f****** class in one game. If he's the first choice, Krul must be in with a shout of pipping him to that spot sooner or later!

Knee-jerk-a-riffic!!! I've seen Krul look shaky a fair few times.

Guest TheOrder

He was s****.

And Krul was f****** class in one game. If he's the first choice, Krul must be in with a shout of pipping him to that spot sooner or later!

Lying smog-twat.

Guest smoggeordie

He was s****.

Lying smog-t***.

dirty Mackem bastard

He was s****.

you're actually proving my point with that first bit

Surely he ought to be packed off for a season long loan with an average Championship team or a poor PL team.  The point being you want him getting practice and experience, not watching the ball up the other end of the park.  That thinking has done Ben Foster a lot of good.

Surely he ought to be packed off for a season long loan with an average Championship team or a poor PL team.  The point being you want him getting practice and experience, not watching the ball up the other end of the park.  That thinking has done Ben Foster a lot of good.

You can't have Krul on loan.  There, I said it, you're stuck with "tubbycan'tgettoground" Robinson. :D

Guest Sheriff John Bunnell (Ret

Yep totally agree he shld be sent off to a Champ side for a season to get some experience!!

You can't have Krul on loan.  There, I said it, you're stuck with "tubbycan'tgettoground" Robinson. :D

And in response to MJ; I would say that it isn't that beneficial to be playing first team football as a keeper too early. You need to learn the game, learn how to organise a defence, when to come for crosses and when not to etc., etc. Before the age of 21 I wouldn't imagine there's a huge amount to be gained from first team football - if you go too young and make a couple of mistakes your confidence could be ruined for some time. Bear in mind Foster is 24.

And in response to MJ; I would say that it isn't that beneficial to be playing first team football as a keeper too early. You need to learn the game, learn how to organise a defence, when to come for crosses and when not to etc., etc. Before the age of 21 I wouldn't imagine there's a huge amount to be gained from first team football - if you go too young and make a couple of mistakes your confidence could be ruined for some time. Bear in mind Foster is 24.

Foster is the same age as Cech who has been at the top for around 4/5 years, Casillas was 18 when he took over as no.1 at Real Madrid, and surely there is no greater pressure than that position for that club.  Having confidence in your ability is very necessary for any player, not just goalkeepers, as is mental toughness when things do go wrong.  From the little I've seen of Krul (and admittedly it is only a little) he looks to me to have all the attributes of being a top class keeper who would benefit from competitive matches. 

I would have thought he was ready to make the next step up.

I think the earlier he's playing competitively the better. There's nothing can prepare you for the real thing. His confidence may get knocked but I'd rather he learns to deal with that now. Given will probably be our keeper for the next 5, 6 or even 7 years. By that time, hopefully, Krul will be a fairly experienced keeper who we can bring straight into the first team.

I think the earlier he's playing competitively the better. There's nothing can prepare you for the real thing. His confidence may get knocked but I'd rather he learns to deal with that now. Given will probably be our keeper for the next 5, 6 or even 7 years. By that time, hopefully, Krul will be a fairly experienced keeper who we can bring straight into the first team.

Or find out if he's not good enough, of course.

Agree in general though, reserve football progresses nothing.

Been to a talk-in tonight with the 4 goalkeepers.  Krul said he would be going on loan next season.

Does that mean Pav the Geordie is staying for another year? After all, Given's "Lazarus" tag has taken a bit of a beating this year...