Wenger "Newcastle have the same potential as Arsenal,"

Guest nufc 4 life

Guest nufc 4 life

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=35899

Arsenal boss Wenger: Villa, Spurs, Newcastle can crack top four

tribalfooball.com - April 14, 2007

The Premiership is on the verge of a new era of competitiveness, insists Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger.

Wenger named Aston Villa, Newcastle United and Tottenham Hotspur among the "massive clubs" who could break into the elite of Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool because of their fan base and the financial muscle that it gives them. "Newcastle have the same potential as Arsenal," he said.

mackems.gif i think not, however it is good to know that someone like wenger is saying we have the same potential as his team.

If you swapped the manager roles around, we'd be in the Top 4. Bold statement i know, but Wenger really is that good, and he knows how to get the best out of his players. Imagine also the development of the likes of N'Zogbia, Milner, Taylor, etc. Top 6 at the very least.

The Premiership is on the verge of a new era of competitiveness, insists Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger.

Wenger named Aston Villa, Newcastle United and Tottenham Hotspur among the "massive clubs" who could break into the elite of Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool because of their fan base and the financial muscle that it gives them. "Newcastle have the same potential as Arsenal," he said.

We have the potential there and we have good players but what we dont have is the proper manager and the adequate chairman who cant see that we need top class manager

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=35899

i think not, however it is good to know that someone like wenger is saying we have the same potential as his team.

we do

If you swapped the manager roles around, we'd be in the Top 4. Bold statement i know, but Wenger really is that good, and he knows how to get the best out of his players.

He's also got an incredible backstage set-up – state-of-the-art training centre, coaching personnel, dieticians and doctors, scouting network etc – which Arsenal have wisely spent big on to give Wenger the support structure that will bring the best out of HIM.

We've always fallen down in this respect. Even Bolton are light years ahead of us on off-pitch, potential-maximising terms. Our two brief periods of touching the heights – under Keegan and Robson – were built solely on the pitch and left little foundation for their successors. We seem to spend everything for short-term effect.

When Wenger speaks of the Toon's potential, he's talking, when you come right down to it, about money. Realising that potential depends on how that money is handled. With Shepherd in charge, potential is all that it will remain.

Guest Magpiecn

Good words from Wenger.But potential is just potential.

Since I payed attention to Newcastle, Ive heared many people said its a potential team. Newcastle has potential players all the time,but lack of a decent manager, except SBR.

hard to know what to say here.

What Wenger says is of course, true. But to say we haven't appointed any other decent managers other than SBR and Keegan is complete nonsense. The appointment of Dalglish, was every bit as ambitious and a statement of intent as appointing Wenger himself would be.

Gullit too, as at the time he was very much a successful manager looking like he was on the way up in the managerial stakes too.

What would people do if Wenger came to Newcastle and failed to match SBR and Keegan, never mind exceed them ? Would you still say that we are being "raped by ineptitude and bad managerial appointments" ?

Before anyone sees this as defending anybody, it isn't, I'm only correcting the blatant misappropriation that is posted by people, again.

BTW, I have been saying for ages that if this club had 5m or 10m quid to spend on anybody, I would use it to buy out Wengers contract and bring him to Newcastle, before ANY player.

If you swapped the manager roles around, we'd be in the Top 4. Bold statement i know, but Wenger really is that good, and he knows how to get the best out of his players.

He's also got an incredible backstage set-up – state-of-the-art training centre, coaching personnel, dieticians and doctors, scouting network etc – which Arsenal have wisely spent big on to give Wenger the support structure that will bring the best out of HIM.

We've always fallen down in this respect. Even Bolton are light years ahead of us on off-pitch, potential-maximising terms. Our two brief periods of touching the heights – under Keegan and Robson – were built solely on the pitch and left little foundation for their successors. We seem to spend everything for short-term effect.

When Wenger speaks of the Toon's potential, he's talking, when you come right down to it, about money. Realising that potential depends on how that money is handled. With Shepherd in charge, potential is all that it will remain.

utter drivel

Guest thenorthumbrian

Potential is a word that has always been the word attached to Newcastle.

We are the only club which still - even after the Hall/Keegan era - has never fulfilled its potential.

What Wenger says is of course, true. But to say we haven't appointed any other decent managers other than SBR and Keegan is complete nonsense. The appointment of Dalglish, was every bit as ambitious and a statement of intent as appointing Wenger himself would be.

Gullit too, as at the time he was very much a successful manager looking like he was on the way up in the managerial stakes too.

What would people do if Wenger came to Newcastle and failed to match SBR and Keegan, never mind exceed them ? Would you still say that we are being "raped by ineptitude and bad managerial appointments" ?

Before anyone sees this as defending anybody, it isn't, I'm only correcting the blatant misappropriation that is posted by people, again.

BTW, I have been saying for ages that if this club had 5m or 10m quid to spend on anybody, I would use it to buy out Wengers contract and bring him to Newcastle, before ANY player.

Comparing the appointments of Dalglish and Gullit with the appointment of Wenger is laughable.

Dalglish and Gullit had proved that they could win trophies in England, were established names, and management style was to splash the cash on players good enough to bring success. They were ambitious, and they were a statement of intent.

In contrast, although he had some success abroad, Wenger was greeted with 'Arsene Who?' headlines. He did not have the name to attract the world class players that Newcastle or Chelsea were signing at the time, and he wasn't even big enough to win his own players. There seemed to be no short term vision of ambition, no apparent intent to turn the corner. Instead, it was a long term decision to revolutionise the club from its roots.

In the end, it was the move to change things long-term that was going to ensure a prolonged spell of success, whereas Newcastle, with their short term ambition, have stagnated and declined.

We are still waiting for our revolution. And we wont realise our potential until our chairman puts it in place.

Comparing the appointments of Dalglish and Gullit with the appointment of Wenger is laughable.

Dalglish and Gullit had proved that they could win trophies in England, were established names, and management style was to splash the cash on players good enough to bring success. They were ambitious, and they were a statement of intent.

In contrast, although he had some success abroad, Wenger was greeted with 'Arsene Who?' headlines. He did not have the name to attract the world class players that Newcastle or Chelsea were signing at the time, and he wasn't even big enough to win his own players. There seemed to be no short term vision of ambition, no apparent intent to turn the corner. Instead, it was a long term decision to revolutionise the club from its roots.

In the end, it was the move to change things long-term that was going to ensure a prolonged spell of success, whereas Newcastle, with their short term ambition, have stagnated and declined.

We are still waiting for our revolution. And we wont realise our potential until our chairman puts it in place.

Sadly, you miss the point completely. I am saying the appointment of Wenger NOW would be a top class appointment of a proven winner in the premiership, just like Dalglish was at the time.

Also mate, it took a major revolution to transform the club from facing relegation to the 3rd division, failure of a share flotation where they couldn't even raise the amount of money they got for selling Peter Beardsley to Liverpool, and 15000 crowds to transform the club into one that filled the stadium, qualified for europe more than any club bar 4, and bought major international footballers instead of selling them.

I think your use of the phrase "short term ambition" is wrong tbh, the club have opened a new training complex, that has been necessary for decades, and also expanded the stadium. Neither are the actions of a club operating a "short term policy".

I understand that you realise the appointments of Dalglish and Gullit were big statements of ambition mate, which they were. In fact, if they had been successful and won even the FA Cup having reached the Final, nobody would be saying now that the club lacked, or lacks, ambition at all, or makes "bad appointments". This situation still exists, all the board can do is do what it has done, they are backing their managers as much as possible, maybe too much if anything, which shows they want success. It is only the appointment of Souness which has hurt the club badly, and Roeder is trying to pick up the pieces and unfortunately is looking like the task may be beyond him, which is sad because I remember him for being a good player of the club, a good captain, and he's undoubtedly doing his best for the club. But if it isn't good enough we will have to move on to someone else.

Or, more likely, another chairman is put in our current chairman's place.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

It would take someone like Wenger 3/4/maybe 5 years to turn us around properly so much needs to be changed at the club.

The most basic of research would have brought about the conclusion that Gullit was never going to be a good appointment.

Didn't need foresight for that one.....or Souness......or Roeder.......

I don't see how anybody could say he is wrong.

If we hired Wenger all those years back we'd be as good as Arsenal if not better, too some degree we still have the potential to do so. As a club (ignoring managers and chairmen) the only advantage Arsenal had was that they are situated in London. We'd probably be moving to 70k stadium.

Its fair enough to say that there were good reasons to appoint Dalglish and Gullitt - a blind look at their CVs would suggest that they were good managers at the time we appointed them. Of course, different people have different opinions about the ability level of those managers at the time we appointed them, eg Ive always wanted a manager with a successful continental CV, ie success both domestically and in European competitions, building a side that you can visibly see has the markings of a good manager (eg Fergusons team all have movement, Wenger's technical ability, Rafa and Mourinho defensive organisation and drilling, etc etc) but thats a different arguement.

So, for the sake of agreement, lets just say that Shepherd had done a decent job up to and including the appointment of Sir Bobby. He appointed managers with strong CVs, secured a higher amount of income by carrying out the stadium expansion plans from the previous board/chairman, backed his managers in some seasons with cash, eventually took us to a top 4 spot after two failed managerial appointments and finally landing a good manager.

What you cant ignore though is the downward spiral of the club under Shepherd's stewardship a few years into Sir Bobby's reign. Undermining his manager, then failing to replace him when everything went stale and even our competitors at the time, Liverpool, went about replacing theirs despite finishing above us and having a very similar season under a manager who won plenty of trophies with them. The sale of Woodgate behind his manager's back without any replacement lined resulting in a terrible start to the season, the dismissal of Sir Bobby without any replacement lined up at a silly time of the season to sack the manager, the appointment of Souness, a manager who was a national laughing stock with every set of fans thinking him shiite, yet Shepherd decided hed be a good appointment, the backing of Souness with huge amounts of cash, the signing of an injury-prone centreforward for a huge amount of money despite having a weak squad, the refusal to sack Souness whilst the transfer window was still open, the statement of intent when talking about going abroad in looking for a top manager and admitting this was his last chance, the appointment of Roeder, a man with a track record of mediocrity.

Since 2003, the club have gone backwards and backwards under Shepherd as hes made poor decision after poor decision. Clearly, the man is an idiot if he thought Souness to be a good manager, and only an idiot would have thought Souness to be a good appointment (can guarantee you that rules out 99.9% of our fans, all of whom probably felt sick when the appointment was announced). And what on earth makes Shepherd think Roeder can coach or build a CL side, which surely is our goal?

Maybe some wise heads have left the board since those early years when he made the appointments of Dalglish, Gullitt and Sir Bobby, and as Shepherd's influence has grown without anyone there to give some decent perspective to him, the decision making has gone downhill spectacularly. Or maybe hes undermined one too many a manager, and noone with an ounce of credibility wants to work for him. Either way, hes failing badly to do what hes supposed to, and its unfair that he gets the wield the axe on others, managers or players, yet theres noone there to oust him.

Guest Phil K

i think we do have the potential as a club, its just raped by the ineptitude of the staff from the fat man at the top right down to the retarded tea lady at the bottom

Absolutely correct, although I think you're a bit harsh on the tea lady !

The fat moron at the top and his staggering ineptitude in choosing the worst possible managers is the cancer at Newcastle's heart.

Roeder must go, yes. But the fat tw*t would just give the joib to another waste of space incompetent.

If we had a decent manager, as Keegan was - God, not even the sky's the limit.

Always remember "fan potential" of the succesful clubs have hardly beeen tested by lack of success. remember the disappearing thousands when Liverpool went 3 seasons or something without a trophy ?

Newcastle win NOTHING yet they are held up besides teams that win a trophy a year on average !!!!