Bundesliga (und Fußball) - 2017/18

samag

Would love a weekend in Germany where I'd go to Dortmund, Bayern and St Pauli home matches. We have a lot to learn from the Germans....the matchday experience sounds amazing.

You'd be lucky to manage that. You'd need St Pauli playing Friday evening, Dortmund Saturday afternoon and Bayern on Sunday. Then you'd only have to drive about 1000km. It'd be a cracking weekend, though.

A lot of the Bundesliga atmosphere is, IMO, down to standing. Watching from the terraces is 10x better than from a seat.

Would love a weekend in Germany where I'd go to Dortmund, Bayern and St Pauli home matches. We have a lot to learn from the Germans....the matchday experience sounds amazing.

You'd be lucky to manage that. You'd need St Pauli playing Friday evening, Dortmund Saturday afternoon and Bayern on Sunday. Then you'd only have to drive about 1000km. It'd be a cracking weekend, though.

A lot of the Bundesliga atmosphere is, IMO, down to standing. Watching from the terraces is 10x better than from a seat.

I'd settle for just the St.Pauli Friday evening bit and then spend the rest of the weekend enjoying the win/lose/draw party they seem to have regardless. Better spend Saturday and Sunday in Hamburg than on the train going to Bavaria :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Not content with being runaway leaders of the Bundesliga, Borussia Dortmund have made good use of their free time on the club coach by coming up with an outrageous 'trick shot.'

As you can see from the video, midfielder Nuri Sahin and goalkeeper Roman Weidenfeller position themselves at either end of the bus with the doors at each end open.

With the bus hurtling down a highway, Sahin then kicks the ball out the door and against the wall of an overpass with the ball then bouncing back into the hands of Weidenfeller.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/article/37311/

Neuer was outstanding for Schalke in the derby yesterday.

:thup:

Man U bound?

Apparently Man U made a formal approach to buy him on Tuesday. Previously, he was expected to go to Bayern.

van Gaal expected to be sacked today apparently.

Yep. Press conference today and the comments of the people from their board yesterday sounded like the decision had already been made.

Edit: Just read that a spokesman said that there won't be any further development at the moment.

Who do you get to replace van Gaal.  I think he's brilliant myself although I don't know enough about German football to know what's happened this season.

The difference this season is that Robben didn't have a pre-season, has been injured till after christmas. If you look at last season - he scored all the important goals in the CL and in the league. Now he's back and not looking as good as last season.

The other thing is that Olic has been out for long and he was vital last season as well.

Selling Van Bommel (was a bit like what's Nolan for us to them - not great on the pitch but a great leader) wasn't that clever either imo.

It's a mad decision IMO, but then again to me it seems these days Bayern are Germany's answer to Real Madrid.

He's had to cope without Robben for most of the season, Ribery also been out for massive spells. Olic too who was crucial in their CL run and he's been long-term. Realistically with Dortmund being other-worldly this season they weren't going to anything in the league anyway so it seems a bit of trigger-happy idea to give him the hook after he had done so well last year.

Who do you get to replace van Gaal.  I think he's brilliant myself although I don't know enough about German football to know what's happened this season.

Seem to be doing alright in the CL again though, I would have thought they would have let him off for this relatively poor season after the success last season.

It's gone very tits-up in the league for them, and they've been playing like shit recently. I saw the Schalke game, and Bayern were terrible. As David28 said, Robben's not on his game, but ultimately they shouldn't be relying on one player. They are out of the CL places at the moment (which is unacceptable for Bayern), and they might not even make it into Europe at all, which is absolutely unthinkable for them.

The Bayern management is not overly patient with managers. They spend significantly more than any other Bundesliga club and expect to be competitive every season.

Official now - Van Gaal will stay at Bayern till the end of the season and will leave then.

I really can see them doing even worse now as I can't see the players wanting to give their 100 % for him now (which they haven't down recently anyway)

Van gaal is a great manager. Shame he's shit with actually the players, and in this day and age, like fergie said, the players expect to be coddled.

So, that makes Van Gaal a poor manager then.  :pow:

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of musical chairs going on. Magath is off back to Wolfsburg and Rangnick is on his way back to Schalke.

They probably never should have fired Rangnick in the first place, but Assauer didn't like him. The longer I follow Schalke, the more convinced I am that they have a bad case of the Newcastles, and all their problems can be traced back to a bunch of tools running the club.

Bit of musical chairs going on. Magath is off back to Wolfsburg and Rangnick is on his way back to Schalke.

They probably never should have fired Rangnick in the first place, but Assauer didn't like him. The longer I follow Schalke, the more convinced I am that they have a bad case of the Newcastles, and all their problems can be traced back to a bunch of tools running the club.

Rangnick resigned after they sold Luis Gustavo behind his back.