Steven Taylor for Captain?

Guest haseeb
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I can see the argument for and against.

At the moment he is one of the few outfield players I would expect to be playing whenever fit and his injury record doesn't seem to be that bad. He is young and still a little naive but he does seem to have passion for the club and maybe this will kick him on to the next level and make him realise he can't do some of the stupid stuff he sometimes does.

People have suggested Barton but I don't really trust him.

Not unhappy about this, would prefer it to be someone a bit more experienced who will play the majority of games but we don't have that many players in the team like that.

Bit of a gamble, could be a masterstroke. I think he's as worthy a candidate as any other, because the other candidates either aren't first team regulars or play in goal in the case of Given. The way I see it, it's between Given and Taylor and I think Taylor will get more out of the armband so to speak and has the advantage that he plays outfield. He's slowly maturing and despite his age he has quite a bit of experience under his belt. He's very passionate and vocal at the back and perhaps most importantly I think his performances will improve with the added responsibility, not suffer as they did with Parker.

It does beg the question of who will come in at centre back before the window shuts though, as I can't see Taylor dishing out orders to someone like Sol Campbell.

I can see the argument for and against.

At the moment he is one of the few outfield players I would expect to be playing whenever fit and his injury record doesn't seem to be that bad. He is young and still a little naive but he does seem to have passion for the club and maybe this will kick him on to the next level and make him realise he can't do some of the stupid stuff he sometimes does.

People have suggested Barton but I don't really trust him.

Not unhappy about this, would prefer it to be someone a bit more experienced who will play the majority of games but we don't have that many players in the team like that.

IMO sam is taking one for the team. He'll take it in his 1st season to break Taylor into a captain and bring him closer. It was always going to happen, just Sam has moved it on quicker at his own expense. A lesser manager would opt for a simpler option, shows he's got balls, this all round can only be good for the club.

IMO sam is taking one for the team. He'll take it in his 1st season to break Taylor into a captain and bring him closer. It was always going to happen, just Sam has moved it on quicker at his own expense. A lesser manager would opt for a simpler option, shows he's got balls, this all round can only be good for the club.

IF it is Taylor (we don't know yet) then I agree with you, it's a ballsy decision from Sam and I applaud him for it.

He wouldn't have been my first choice but it could knock some of the stupidity out of him, it could be what makes him as a player if it calms him down and removes some of his rash decisions.  He does use his mouth a bit during a game so I don't see why he shouldn't get it apart from his age, I suppose if you're good enough then you're old enough, we'll see.

Like his Ego needed it, all shall now bow down to him. Would prefer someone slightly more stable both mentally and physically on the pitch.

Giving his the job might be the thing to change him, we'll soon see if it goes to his head or not and if it does, will it change him for the better or the worse?  It's going to be an interesting decision if it is true.

My gut feeling is this is the right thing to do, I suggested him as captain in the other thread and I'm glad to see Allardyce is willing to take a chance.

Some players revel in the role of captain and I think Taylor is one of them. I don't see Given as vocal or commanding enough at all, giving it to the wrong man can have a detrimental affect on his performances, as it did on Parker. I think Given, like Parker is someone who just likes to 'keep his head down' and get on with his individual role in the team, he's not a natural leader. Taylor is very vocal and very passionate and I think he'll thrive on the responsibility, he'll love it and may gain something out of it. Given could well go the same way as Parker and suffer from the responsibility of the armband, because he's not a leader, nor a shouter.

Although Butt played most of last season, he has had a history of injuries and I think his position won't be cemented in the team if we do sign another DM. I think he is past his best and his influence will begin to wane as he gets older. He's also not vocal nor does he appear to be a leader.

If Solano was going to play every week he would be my ideal choice, but he's likely to spend a lot of time on the bench meaning we've have a different captain every week. It needs to be someone constant.

Taylor for me is the outstanding candidate and the only thing against him is his age. But it would be unfair to call him inexperienced, he's already clocked up a lot of games for this club in the Premiership and in Europe.

My gut feeling is this is the right thing to do, I suggested him as captain in the other thread and I'm glad to see Allardyce is willing to take a chance.

Some players revel in the role of captain and I think Taylor is one of them. I don't see Given as vocal or commanding enough at all, giving it to the wrong man can have a detrimental affect on his performances, as it did on Parker. I think Given, like Parker is someone who just likes to 'keep his head down' and get on with his individual role in the team, he's not a natural leader. Taylor is very vocal and very passionate and I think he'll thrive on the responsibility, he'll love it and may gain something out of it. Given could well go the same way as Parker and suffer from the responsibility of the armband, because he's not a leader, nor a shouter.

Although Butt played most of last season, he has had a history of injuries and I think his position won't be cemented in the team if we do sign another DM. I think he is past his best and his influence will begin to wane as he gets older. He's also not vocal nor does he appear to be a leader.

If Solano was going to play every week he would be my ideal choice, but he's likely to spend a lot of time on the bench meaning we've have a different captain every week. It needs to be someone constant.

Taylor for me is the outstanding candidate and the only thing against him is his age. But it would be unfair to call him inexperienced, he's already clocked up a lot of games for this club in the Premiership and in Europe.

Agree with all of that. It just surprises me that Sam's not waiting to see who else he can bring in before deciding.

Would have been my first choice so I'm well happy if this is true.

Makes sense:-

- It'll bring him on as a pro and as a person.

- He has the balls to have a go at people, regardless of age/ability.

It also probably means that Sam will build the side around him in future years which, to me, makes sense. He's a natural leader.

I'd be willing to bet he's attracted alot of attention during this window from 'bigger' clubs (See Mourinho's comments last year praising him and SAF is a fan apparently) and this may be part of the deal to keep him here and move forwards with him involved rather than buggering off.

Good work Sam.

Like his Ego needed it, all shall now bow down to him. Would prefer someone slightly more stable both mentally and physically on the pitch.

Perhaps his ego does need it. One of the weaknesses in his game is that he tries too hard to be noticed, diving into tackles and playing too aggressively. This might be what he needs, he's someone who clearly wants the responsibility and won't ever hide away from it the way Parker did. Butt and Given strike me as quiet types and not captain material really, I can see them suffering from the added responsibility or simply not having much effect. Taylor will improve with the armband, I'm quite confident of that, and I think he's a much more natural leader than either of them.

Agree with all of that. It just surprises me that Sam's not waiting to see who else he can bring in before deciding.

Can you really give captaincy to a new signing though? Would be utterly wrong imo.

That does surprise me, but perhaps his shortlist of targets doesn't include anyone suitable? Like I say it begs the question as to who will be coming in at CB because I think most of us would like to see an experienced leader brought in alongside Taylor. At the end of the day though, why should someone deserve to walk into the club and take the armband straight away over players who have been giving their all for the club for years now?

Can you really give captaincy to a new signing though? Would be utterly wrong imo.

A couple of people have mentioned this now. I can't see why it matters - give it to the best candidate.

Respect in the dressing room for Taylor is a problem for me though, I just think fellow players think he is a laughing stock and a complete amateur when it comes to being serious, the guy is a complete drama queen and has got to be on the end of a lot of jokes in the squad.  You can say what you want about Parker on the pitch, but I am pretty certain he commanded a lot of respect in the dressing room.

If Taylor wasn't a local lad he wouldn't even be in the running for captaincy.

He's a good prospect but still has a lot to learn, I remember Allardyce saying he wanted to bring in an experienced defender next to him for him to learn off, wouldn't it have made sense to make him captain and have him take Taylor under is wing? I really don't see what Taylor has to offer and I can't see many of the current squad looking to him when we're up against it, it's bad enough watching him run around with his chest puffed out like he's on a one man mission, I hate to think what he's going to be like with the captains armband on.

This is the sort of thing I'd expect from Roeder, not Allardyce.

Respect in the dressing room for Taylor is a problem for me though, I just think fellow players think he is a laughing stock and a complete amateur when it comes to being serious, the guy is a complete drama queen and has got to be the recipient of a lot of jokes in the squad.  You can say what you want about Parker on the pitch, but I am pretty certain he commanded a lot of respect in the dressing room.

Where does that come from? ???

A couple of people have mentioned this now. I can't see why it matters - give it to the best candidate.

Its just not right though. The new player has no history with the club at all, hasnt proven himself with us, wont know most of his teammates and vice versa - the captaincy is more about teammates respecting a player and his contribution to the team, and if that doesnt exist yet then itd be artificial to try to enforce it straight away. If they are the best candidate for it, then theres nothing wrong with them becoming captain say a few months down the line when theyve established themselves as a cornerstone of the team, and when others who have served the club for a long time will be happy to see the armband go to them - but to walk into the role straight away would surely rub some people the wrong way.