Its Roeder

lovejoy

For if United were to bring in someone like Martin O'Neill and his backroom staff of John Robertson and Steve Walford, it is hard to see how here would be a place for Shearer.

And O'Neill - or any would-be manager for that matter - could be forgiven for always looking over his shoulder at Shearer.

But the respect between Roeder and Shearer is mutual and the pair have already shown they can work together.

Seriously that's a fucking joke

Agreed, for us to miss out on Mon or Hitzield or any big name manager because FF is so obsessed with his notion of giving Shearer the job is just insane. This could set the club back about 5-10 years.

Guest Gemmill

For if United were to bring in someone like Martin O'Neill and his backroom staff of John Robertson and Steve Walford, it is hard to see how here would be a place for Shearer.

And O'Neill - or any would-be manager for that matter - could be forgiven for always looking over his shoulder at Shearer.

But the respect between Roeder and Shearer is mutual and the pair have already shown they can work together.

Agreed, for us to miss out on Mon or Hitzield or any big name manager because FF is so obsessed with his notion of giving Shearer the job is just insane. This could set the club back about 5-10 years.

Let's hope so, we were much better then.  bluebigrazz.gif

Insane, it's like "Carry On Chairman" with Freddy in the Sid James role!

Souness is being played by Barbara Windsor's left breast

Guest elbee909

From the official site:

Manager Stories - Club Reponse

NEWCASTLE United have responded to the latest reports concerning the vacant managerial situation at St. James' Park.

Chairman Freddy Shepherd told nufc.co.uk: "I am aware of reports circulating today but the club will not be making any comment on them.

"We haven't ruled anyone in, or out, as far as things go.

"When we have something to say on the matter we will make an official announcement."

Insane, it's like "Carry On Chairman" with Freddy in the Sid James role!

Souness is being played by Barbara Windsor's left breast

ahaahaha I can really imagine FF in that role, i tihnk he was born to play it tbh

Guest Newbie

Not happy to be honest  :( (assuming this turns out to be true)

Yes he has turned our performances around and I am eternally grateful for that, but they couldn't have got much worse could they !

After watching how Roeders team performed against Man Utd, Liverpool & Chelsea, I think a greater emphasis has to be placed on how we performed against the top sides, and I have to say judging him on those games he isn't the top level manager we need to push for a champions league place.

This completely smacks of an interim appointment while we wait for Shearer, who is completely inexperienced and unproven as a manager.

Just look at England potentially appointing Mclaren as the next manager based on a run of good results, even though the general consensus is that he's not the best man for the job. I think we are seeing a similar situation develop with ourselves  :(

How do you know FS didnt contact Hitzfeld or Oneill but they turned it down?

I find it quite funny really, When ever we are linked with someone there is always a group of posters who are dead against it.

I will actually be quite gutted if this turns out to be true.  Look at Stuart Pearce at City.  Had a great caretaker run,  got the job,  and now they're hardly setting the world alight. 

It would be a big mistake gambling on the future of the club,  over some decent results over very non-decent teams.

I find it quite funny really, When ever we are linked with someone there is always a group of posters who are dead against it.

Find it funny? I suppose if you don’t laugh you’ll f****** cry!

This looks more than "being linked".

Guest TheOrder

An absolute disaster for me.You can write off next season straightaway.

Been Manager with expectations is a helluva lot different than Caretaker who whatever happened couldnt be blamed.

No top club would ever appoint a Manager who's previous job was to get relegated,you may as well appoint B Robson.

Are you for real?!

Cry? I got nothing to cry about. Roeder has done a good job since he's been there and all of the players are listening and a few are improving.

We have had big name managers in the past and everyone of them won F*ck all, KK came the closest and my Favourate Newcastle manager and he was inexperienced and i bet if N-O was around then alot of people would be moaning when we appointed him.

the article we were commenting on states that the main reason O'neil wont be appointed is due to the fact that Shearer is still lingering over the club and as a result of this the club will suffer. The article indicates that FF is choosing Roeder because he would be more suited to be at the club when Shearer somes in...M'ON or Hitzfield would not accept this.

Guest s0ftcore

I would take the risk with Roeder. After all, I'm pretty sure he can maintain this run of form and I think things will be better when all our players are back. Hope he picks up a few good signings as well

Look at Frank Rijkaard. He brought Sparta Rotterdam to relegation didn't he? And he's 1 step away from the CL Final with Barcelona. Where were Barca a few seasons back before him? They weren't too good; I still remember the whole Camp Nou waving white hankies lol

Hope Roeder gets the job, he deserves it. Hope he doesn't make me eat my words!  :lol:

Ok so the club look to be hiring Roeder and some people want him and some don't. So can I ask the ones who don't want him will you support him and back him to the hill or will be winge after every defeat and not let him get on with the job. Basically I'm asking will you give the man a chance ? I did not want RG or GS but I gave both a chance didn't exactly work out very well but never mind.

Ok so the club look to be hiring Roeder and some people want him and some don't. So can I ask the ones who don't want him will you support him and back him to the hill or will be winge after every defeat and not let him get on with the job. Basically I'm asking will you give the man a chance ? I did not want RG or GS but I gave both a chance didn't exactly work out very well but never mind.

I'll give him a chance, and back him to the hill if he is appointed,  but I seriously question the decision.  Freddy has taken 12 weeks to make the most important decision in his life.  And the best he has come up with is Glenn Roeder,  on the back of a lot of decent results against mostly poor teams.

The feelgood factor after Souness went played (in my opinion) a large part in the results,  and run that we had.  As soon as things start going wrong again,  we'll be back to square one.

I'd have no complaints at all about Glenn joining the coaching team,  but to be the main man,  perminantly in charge? 

No,  thanks.

Guest nufc1984

I dont know what to say, as soon as we lose a game or 2, our beloved fans will try their hardest to ruin his life and get him out of the hot-seat anyway, because the large majority of our fans are incompitant and unsatisfied by everything.

Roeder has done a good job here, but he has had the Academy to slip back into, should everything go tits up, so the pressure on him would double, will that be good for his health? can he take it? I think so and i think he would deserve it, should he get it.

When Roeder was appointed, expectations were low, and victories over Poor-tsmouth and Villa overwhelmed everyone, when we should be beating teams like that anyway, the thing that has impressed me the most (although, annoyed me at times) was the fact that he won't hessitate to take a star player out the team and give a youngster a go, example: Matty Pattison, great performance at the weekend and looked well up for playing out there.

Another thing that impresses me, is the response the players gave to him after the poor show at Charlton, they said he told them a few home truths and showed his other side, so suggestions that he is too soft are daft, I think he just reacts like that only when nessecery.

Overall, yes i wouldn't mind Roeder being appointed, M'ON seems to be un-decided, other mangers are just speculation and i think Roeder has pride for this Club and cares about its welfair, atleast we know Roeder holds the club high in his list in life.

Looking on here and some other boards it would seem people would be distictly grateful to Glen but totally underwhelmed.

To answer your question, he will be unquestionably backed and supported by everyone.  After all no bugger wanted Souness but there wasnt rioting on the terraces was there?

He'll be backed to the hilt right up until he gets sacked to make way for Shearer, which is FFS's avowed aim.  Everyone, I'd imagine, who applied or was approached was only too aware of that.

Cry? I got nothing to cry about. Roeder has done a good job since he's been there and all of the players are listening and a few are improving.

We have had big name managers in the past and everyone of them won F*ck all, KK came the closest and my Favourate Newcastle manager and he was inexperienced and i bet if N-O was around then alot of people would be moaning when we appointed him.

Seriously doubt that. We were in a different situation then. If we were 3rd bottom of the Championship I'd be very happy with Roeder. We are the second best supported team in the Premiership, we have massive potential, we should be appointing an experienced manager who knows what it takes to move us on. Not, and no disrespect to Glenn, a twice failed manager who has had a decent run on a reasonably easy schedule recently. I like Glenn, give him a role in the club but he's not the man to take us onward and upward.

The cry comment was sarcasm ("the lowest form of wit", I know)

Maybe if a few more people criticised rather than applaud the gits achievements on the last day of last season, the nightmare of this season might not have happened.

Ok, that was tongue in cheek to an extent, but suffice to say he will have a lot to prove to win me over.

My support for him and the team at the ground goes without saying, but I will have less patience and will ask more questions of him than a manager who has proved he can do the job (rather than see the relegation of every club he has taken charge of).

Guest Gemmill

We're in for a shitload of whining after every poor result, you can guarantee that.  It's gonna be a lorra lorra fun.

Guest nufc1984

We're in for a shitload of whining after every poor result, you can guarantee that.  It's gonna be a lorra lorra fun.

Agreed

Lets be honest here the fans of Newcastle United are impatient, plenty don't understand the game and follow the crowd and we have a chairman who runs the club to please the fans every few months whilest trying to make plenty of money in the process. Until this all changes it doesn't matter which mug takes control of the club we won't win a thing.

i'll support him but i agree that it is an underwhelming appointment.

shepherd has failed to get his man yet again. i thought we were one of the top ten jobs in europe

we have a man who knows the club, knows the players and the fans and MOST IMPORTANTLY how Fat Fred works

he has proved he can get results with a load of injuries

we could do a hell of a lot worse - I shudder at most of the names on the list ....  Alardyce FFS.......