Allardyce to quit Bolton at end of season

Syrette

Guest Nappy Rash

Serious question.

Why are you happy to give managers more time when almost everyone else can see through them?  I'm not just talking about on here because I don't know a single person who thinks Roeder is up to the job.

Because prematurely sacking Managers is how we are in the situation we are in.

No cunt worth having will touch us.

Every time we appoint a new Manager it costs us Millions, not just in payoffs and compensation for new Managers, but when they want to build their teams.

Like previously and as stated countless times, the only time we shouldnt back Roeder is if we can get someone in, significantly better, Allardyce is not that man.

Changing for changes sake may keep the boo boys happy, but its worsening the position we're in.

OBI, he stuck up for Souness right until the bitter end and he's doing the same with Roeder.

Incorrect, just as before, I pointed out its not all doom and gloom and told you to be careful what you wished for.

You in particular Mick were saying we'd be relegated, I pointed out we were closer to Europe, guess where we finished  :coolsmiley:

But nobody did take me up on the bet did they.

I understand what you say about being careful what you wish for, I didn't think for one minute that Shepherd would get it wrong again.  I doubt for one minute that we'd have finished as high last season if Souness had stayed.  You probably don't agree but I felt everybody gain a lift early in our first game without Souness and that stayed with us until the end of the season.

What I do wish for is to have a team and manager to be proud of, we don't have that at the minute.

I know we could get worse and I don't trust Shepherd to deliver, that's why I'll not say we should sack Roeder, that doesn't mean I'll big him up for the sake of it, I'll still say if I think somebody could do a better job for us.

Serious question.

Why are you happy to give managers more time when almost everyone else can see through them?  I'm not just talking about on here because I don't know a single person who thinks Roeder is up to the job.

No c*** worth having will touch us.

Every time we appoint a new Manager it costs us Millions, not just in payoffs and compensation for new Managers, but when they want to build their teams.

Like previously and as stated countless times, the only time we shouldnt back Roeder is if we can get someone in, significantly better, Allardyce is not that man.

Changing for changes sake may keep the boo boys happy, but its worsening the position we're in.

I don't disagree with that but you've got a shit way of getting your point across, it's as if you blame others for us having a poor manager.  I doubt anybody on here would disagree with that post but you've probably pissed everybody off with the way you've gone on.

Guest Nappy Rash

Thats what we all hope for, but some people have a half full glass and some a half empty.

This forum is definitely more half empty like  :coolsmiley:

Im the same as you with a different viewpoint, I dont think Allardyce is significantly better than Roeder, just as I dont think MON is better than McLeish, Strachan or Souness, but thats why we spend hours on these things furiously typing at oneanother.

But I at least give you the courtesy of reading your posts  :coolsmiley:

I honestly believe if we'd escaped injuries to Shay and Owen we'd be at least 10 points better off, for me thats not so bad considering where we were when he came in.

No, sacking Robson was not the problem, it came if anything too late. Our problems do not stem from indiscriminately sacking managers, but from from not preparing and ending up hiring incompetent replacements.

There were in no way the calls for his head in his first season that we have seen for Souness and Roeder, and with good reason. It is fairly obvious that you give a manager like Robson time, he had the pedigree and the future looked positive. If we had that with Roeder he would deserve longer, but we do not, and that is why people are rightly looking at alternatives.

No, sacking Robson was not the problem, it came if anything too late. Our problems do not stem from indiscriminately sacking managers, but from from not preparing and ending up hiring incompetent replacements.

There were in no way the calls for his head in his first season that we have seen for Souness and Roeder, and with good reason. It is fairly obvious that you give a manager like Robson time, he had the pedigree and the future looked positive. If we had that with Roeder he would deserve longer, but we do not, and that is why people are rightly looking at alternative.

all of that granted but you can't disassociate the two can you?  sacking the manager and having a good replacement lined up, they're inextricably linked...part of the same f!ck up

what i believe the lad nappy, htl and a couple of others including myself are trying to point out is that allardyce has not suddenly become the man for nufc 'cause he's becoming available

he wasn't the man when we sacked robson, wasn't the man when we sacked souness and isn't the man now

Guest Nappy Rash

There were in no way the calls for his head in his first season that we have seen for Souness and Roeder, and with good reason. It is fairly obvious that you give a manager like Robson time, he had the pedigree and the future looked positive. If we had that with Roeder he would deserve longer, but we do not, and that is why people are rightly looking at alternatives.

I never mentioned SBR, again he should have been sacked or backed.

Chicken and egg sitution though.

We all know who's culpable for each and every disaster.

Don't want him. Bolton play ugly football and i never want to see that sort of play at Newcastle.

And because we play like Barcelona we should keep Roeder

the assumption here is that roeder isn't intending on playing crap football forever, that he'll improve as we go on and get some consistency; whereas it's allardyces stock in trade and the secret to his success....

can allardyce change?  i doubt it

Guest Knightrider

We all know who's culpable for each and every disaster.

Yep, and that's why I hope should it all end in tears for Roeder, fans turn on the idiots who appointed him and not Roeder himself.

Thats what we all hope for, but some people have a half full glass and some a half empty.

This forum is definitely more half empty like  :coolsmiley:

Im the same as you with a different viewpoint, I dont think Allardyce is significantly better than Roeder, just as I dont think MON is better than McLeish, Strachan or Souness, but thats why we spend hours on these things furiously typing at oneanother.

But I at least give you the courtesy of reading your posts  :coolsmiley:

I honestly believe if we'd escaped injuries to Shay and Owen we'd be at least 10 points better off, for me thats not so bad considering where we were when he came in.

To use your half full/half empty analogy, I probably do think we're half empty but I also think we've had an opportunity to start filling the glass again but we've wasted it.  I also think that the club has most things in place to take a step closer to where we want to be, I just don't think we're taking advantage of it, and as usual its the fans who are left feeling frustrated as hell.

I’ve been through the really shit times and don’t want to go back to that and I can see it happening if we don’t change direction as a club.

I have nothing personal against Shepherd or Roeder but I don’t think they’re capable of taking the club back to a position of getting close to the top teams and that is shocking considering what the fans have put into the club over the years.  I would go out of my way to pay over the odds at the club shop so that the money would go back into the team.  I suppose I fell for Keegan telling us that he bought player X out of the shirt sales so put more in to get more out.

I think Shepherd has lost direction and doesn’t have any fresh ideas, he’s a bit like a government which has been in power too long, he’s gone stale and as far as I’m concerned he should go and let somebody come in with fresh ideas.  I’m not even bothered if he owned the club 100% as long as he stepped back and gave somebody else the club to run on a daily basis.

There were in no way the calls for his head in his first season that we have seen for Souness and Roeder, and with good reason. It is fairly obvious that you give a manager like Robson time, he had the pedigree and the future looked positive. If we had that with Roeder he would deserve longer, but we do not, and that is why people are rightly looking at alternative.

all of that granted but you can't disassociate the two can you?  sacking the manager and having a good replacement lined up, they're inextricably linked...part of the same f!ck up

what i believe the lad nappy, htl and a couple of others including myself are trying to point out is that allardyce has not suddenly become the man for nufc 'cause he's becoming available

he wasn't the man when we sacked robson, wasn't the man when we sacked souness and isn't the man now

This discussion has been done before in the past couple of months and the outcome has always been the same: a majority of people feel Allardyce is much better than we have currently and probably the best we can realistically hope for. The fact that Allardyce has now stated he will leave Bolton at the end of the season hasn't changed people's opinions, just prompted the discussion to start again.

Guest Knightrider

Don't want him. Bolton play ugly football and i never want to see that sort of play at Newcastle.

the assumption here is that roeder isn't intending on playing crap football forever, that he'll improve as we go on and get some consistency; whereas it's allardyces stock in trade and the secret to his success....

Have you seen much of Bolton at all? It is a myth that they play awful football, they don't and haven't done for a while now. Yes they can be very direct and don't mind mixing it up, but they are no Wimbledon or even Watford for that matter, they are similar in style to Liverpool and Chelsea. Anyhow stuff performances, give me results over eye candy all day long.

Have you seen much of Bolton at all? It is a myth that they play awful football, they don't and haven't done for a while now. Yes they can be very direct and don't mind mixing it up, but they are no Wimbledon or even Watford for that matter, they are similar in style to Liverpool and Chelsea. Anyhow stuff performances, give me results over eye candy all day long.

Spot on.

Totally agree. I was beginning to think I was the only one on here who's seen that Bolton play far better football than us for the vast majority of the time and are as far removed from being "ugly" as most teams in the league. There's a difference between being organised and being ugly, is there not? It's become one of these media-peddled things from seasons ago where everyone is quite happy to just hop on the bandwagon and give the same opinion despite not having much first-hand knowledge of the subject matter. I'd equate it to saying something like "the Geordies would rather lose 4-3 than draw 0-0" - i.e. something that is quite probably utter tosh but is believed by most of the non-Toon supporting mongo's around the country.

They're hardly thrilling, but they have some excellent players with a good level of technical ability.

i see similarities with chel$ki and have mentioned it earlier in this post....i also think chel$ki are a terrible team to watch, utterly horrible

i see similarities with liverpool at all

i'm perhaps exaggerating how bad bolton play (no more than the hyperbole that's thrown around about roeder though) but the point remains that it's allardyce's style and i don't want to see it in black and white stripes

Totally agree. I was beginning to think I was the only one on here who's seen that Bolton play far better football than us for the vast majority of the time and are as far removed from being "ugly" as most teams in the league. There's a difference between being organised and being ugly, is there not? It's become one of these media-peddled things from seasons ago where everyone is quite happy to just hop on the bandwagon and give the same opinion despite not having much first-hand knowledge of the subject matter. I'd equate it to saying something like "the Geordies would rather lose 4-3 than draw 0-0" - i.e. something that is quite probably utter tosh but is believed by most of the non-Toon supporting mongo's around the country.

They're hardly thrilling, but they have some excellent players with a good level of technical ability.

Chelsea and Liverpool (especially under Benny) play as much long ball as Bolton.

Guest Nappy Rash

To use your half full/half empty analogy, I probably do think we're half empty but I also think we've had an opportunity to start filling the glass again but we've wasted it.  I also think that the club has most things in place to take a step closer to where we want to be, I just don't think we're taking advantage of it, and as usual its the fans who are left feeling frustrated as hell.

I’ve been through the really s*** times and don’t want to go back to that and I can see it happening if we don’t change direction as a club.

I have nothing personal against Shepherd or Roeder but I don’t think they’re capable of taking the club back to a position of getting close to the top teams and that is shocking considering what the fans have put into the club over the years.  I would go out of my way to pay over the odds at the club shop so that the money would go back into the team.  I suppose I fell for Keegan telling us that he bought player X out of the shirt sales so put more in to get more out.

I think Shepherd has lost direction and doesn’t have any fresh ideas, he’s a bit like a government which has been in power too long, he’s gone stale and as far as I’m concerned he should go and let somebody come in with fresh ideas.  I’m not even bothered if he owned the club 100% as long as he stepped back and gave somebody else the club to run on a daily basis.

I think apathy is over-ruling the frustration to be perfectly honest.

I too have been through the shit times, which is why when people claim the sky is falling in dont fuckin realise how lucky they are that 10th and 11th is a disaster and Parker is the worst captain in the history iof Newcastle, the little fuckers dont know they are born.

Again with Shepherd its not all Black and White, he is partly responsible for us having witnessed some of the biggest and best names in football playing for the Toon, the stadium, the youth academy etc etc.

But where he's got it wrong almost every time is with the Managers, if he isnt appointing the wrong man, he sacking them at the wrong time.

For me his last throw of the dice is Shearer, if that doesnt end like a Fairy Tale, I dont want to think where we'll be.

But for me Allardyce is not an option, I'd rather stick with Roeder.

People have seen them play teams like Arsenal and have labled them because of that, not many teams beat Arsenal they try and play like Arsenal and teams have learnt this, adapted their approach and get better results against them.

As you say the whole "Bolton boring football" thing is a media tag that has stuck the same way we are labled "entertainers" and the atmosphere at SJP is amazing!

Guest Knightrider

Regarding the technical ability thing, Bolton employ individual coaches to work on players' games on a one-to-one basis, imagine that here. There would be hope for even Carr. Welll OK, maybe not.

Mrmojorisin75, fair enough, see what you're saying.

I’ve been through the really s*** times and don’t want to go back to that and I can see it happening if we don’t change direction as a club.

I think apathy is over-ruling the frustration to be perfectly honest.

I too have been through the shit times, which is why when people claim the sky is falling in dont fuckin realise how lucky they are that 10th and 11th is a disaster and Parker is the worst captain in the history iof Newcastle, the little fuckers dont know they are born.

Again with Shepherd its not all Black and White, he is partly responsible for us having witnessed some of the biggest and best names in football playing for the Toon, the stadium, the youth academy etc etc.

But where he's got it wrong almost every time is with the Managers, if he isnt appointing the wrong man, he sacking them at the wrong time.

For me his last throw of the dice is Shearer, if that doesnt end like a Fairy Tale, I dont want to think where we'll be.

But for me Allardyce is not an option, I'd rather stick with Roeder.

At this point in time, I'd agree with all of that. The points about Parker and Shepherd are particularly spot-on. People of my age, myself included, were spoiled by the Premiership years and the reigns of Keegan and Robson and I do think it plays a big a part as any in the whinging that goes on when we're not challenging for Europe or playing brilliant football. Not wanting to delve too deep into the psyche of the current generation of support, but I'd equate it to us all being something like spoiled brats who've had a gifted upbringing and are now falling on slightly harder times (i.e. our supercars are a couple of years old and "Daddy" won't get us a new one), when there are people in and around us who've had to feed off fucking scraps in the past. People like me can't help it, though, it's the old bastards who seem to have forgotten how bad we used to be and who STILL expect greatness now that really get on my tits. These might be people who jumped on the infamous "Keegan bandwagon" that we hear so much about like and there seem to be fucking thousands of them inside SJP on any given matchday.

Bits of perspective like this from the less repugnant older fans are very welcome to my eyes.

People have seen them play teams like Arsenal and have labled them because of that, not many teams beat Arsenal they try and play like Arsenal and teams have learnt this, adapted their approach and get better results against them.

As you say the whole "Bolton boring football" thing is a media tag that has stuck the same way we are labled "entertainers" and the atmosphere at SJP is amazing!

this is mint

you all sound like you're trying to talk youselves into something you don't really believe 'cause you think it's gonna happen (not saying you don't believe it just it reads a bit like that)

you'll be fucken weeping into your collective pints when we're watching 8m equivalents of ivan kampo hoofing the ball up to 10m equivalents of kevin davies

ba ha ha

Regarding the technical ability thing, Bolton employ individual coaches to work on players' games on a one-to-one basis, imagine that here. There would be hope for even Carr. Welll OK, maybe not.

Mrmojorisin75, fair enough, see what you're saying.

Loads of the more forward-thinking clubs have specialised technical coaches these days, do they not?

I recall Martin Jol banging on about Tottenham employing one in the pre-season and I'm fairly certain the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool have them, as well.

this is mint

you all sound like you're trying to talk youselves into something you don't really believe 'cause you think it's gonna happen (not saying you don't believe it just it reads a bit like that)

you'll be fucken weeping into your collective pints when we're watching 8m equivalents of ivan kampo hoofing the ball up to 10m equivalents of kevin davies

ba ha ha

You obviously havent seen much of Bolton recently have you? Just believe everything you read in the media I take it?

Take it you have seen £4.5m Bramble hoofing up towards £10.9m Martins a lot though?