Allardyce to quit Bolton at end of season

Syrette

I am unhappy we spent £5m on a left winger when the defence desperately needed attention first and N'Zogbia has basically been pushed out in part due to the transfer.

The stats seem to think the defence has been fine, its scoring goals that are the problem.

But as ever, look for a reason and you'll find it  :uglystupid2:

Nice dodge on the question by the way  :-[

At last!!! Someone else who can see what's been obvious all bloody season long.

In regards to Martins Roeder did very well indeed. I have no problems with that. Its just his other 5 transfers that cause me concern as we are heading into a new transfer window.

:cheesy:

Hilarious the way you use the "availability" word when babbling on about Martins but conveniently forget that it applies equally to all possible transfers.

Bit of a difference between players like Martins and Duff whose clubs have agreed to sell them and actually buying a player whose current club want to keep. Not suprised you fail to see this though.

At least the words make some kind of sense from an English language perspective, unlike some other posts of yours that come across as though you've just knocked back 10 pints of beer, or something.

Anyway, you're right, I don't have the foggiest idea what it is you're on about in your post above, but I'll take a stab. It sounds to me as though you're suggesting a player is only "available"when they are transfer listed. Is that what you're saying?  :cheesy:

I believe the point he is trying to make is that we only seem to get players who are basically transfer listed and never actually manage to get anyone who their club is looking to keep.

edit: i forgot to post a smiley, sorry.  :hal:

sorry it's the other lad then, implies that roeder made no decision and bought the only striker in the world that was available

not beyond the realms of possibility that roeder knew he was s*** hot and waited for the player he wanted rather than get kuyt who maybe he didn't?

some people just won't credit roeder now but martins is one of the best 10m we've ever spent pound for pound

Roeder did make a decision, he decided to buy Martins and that has worked out well, he didn't have a decision to make regarding which of the two he should go for, Kuyt signing for Liverpool removed the need for that. 

Roeder spent month after month (allegedly) scouting and talking about Kuyt, Martins only started to get mentions once his team brought in 2 forwards and Martins was pushed down the pecking order, I'm sure that's when Martins asked for a transfer and we became alerted, that's my memory of it.

Maybe Roeder knew Martins was going to ask for a transfer, who knows?  It is possible that Emre tipped him off, we'll never know so will just have to guess.

In regards to Martins Roeder did very well indeed. I have no problems with that. Its just his other 5 transfers that cause me concern as we are heading into a new transfer window.

Hilarious the way you use the "availability" word when babbling on about Martins but conveniently forget that it applies equally to all possible transfers.

Bit of a difference between players like Martins and Duff whose clubs have agreed to sell them and actually buying a player whose current club want to keep. Not suprised you fail to see this though.

At least the words make some kind of sense from an English language perspective, unlike some other posts of yours that come across as though you've just knocked back 10 pints of beer, or something.

Anyway, you're right, I don't have the foggiest idea what it is you're on about in your post above, but I'll take a stab. It sounds to me as though you're suggesting a player is only "available"when they are transfer listed. Is that what you're saying?  :cheesy:

I do love the way you throw in a dig at someone when you are struggling to understand things.

There is quite a difference between signing a player that has been allowed to leave a club and having to work to bring in a player a club doesn't really want to go or other clubs are trying to get. So far Roeder seems to have failed in getting players that other clubs are seriously interested in (Huth, Woodgate, Kuyt...) or that the clubs don't want to let go (Knight, Davies, Babel, French striker we tried to sign at the end of the last transfer window...).

I believe the point he is trying to make is that we only seem to get players who are basically transfer listed and never actually manage to get anyone who their club is looking to keep.

Which is of course something the facts will show to be total and complete bollocks, unless a couple of signings made last summer is as far back as his (and maybe your own) memory can go?

So now you are telling me our defence is fine?

I am just glad we had a quality left back in Alkmaar otherwise we would have been in real trouble, oh wait...

So now I am "stats" and Huntigton is a left back  :uglystupid2:

You really should stop trying to be clever, its not becoming  mackems.gif

Right I think I might be getting somewhere, ok here goes... Why was Huntington playing at left back?

Go on, you can do it, I have faith in you....

I am unhappy we spent £5m on a left winger when the defence desperately needed attention first and N'Zogbia has basically been pushed out in part due to the transfer.

The stats seem to think the defence has been fine, its scoring goals that are the problem.

it's a fair point, there have been a number games this season where we've played ok/well/good but not put the ball in the net, conceded then collapsed like a pack of cards

wigan away in particular springs to mind

if michael owen had played 15-20 games with martins the season would have had a totally different look about it, believe me

Which is of course something the facts will show to be total and complete bollocks, unless a couple of signings made last summer is as far back as his (and maybe your own) memory can go?

We are talking about Roeders ability in the transfer window genius, what has he got to do with transfers before last summer? :lol:

Don't want him. Bolton play ugly football and i never want to see that sort of play at Newcastle.

Thats the view I held last summer. But managers who want their sides playing ugly football dont sign players like Sorin or Anelka, quality and skillfull footballers. Granted Allardyce failed in his bid for Sorin, but that was down to Sorin wanting higher wages than Bolton could afford - ultimately, hes a wing back you want for his footballing abilities rather than his defensive ones.

And its only been very recently that hes even been able to consider such players, as Bolton are a tiny club and its taken years of moderate success for them to have any sort of attractability as well as the finances in order to get the good players who arent over the hill OAPs.

Modern training and fitness regimes, good discipline and organisation on the pitch, good scouting system - he has alot more going for him than Roeder, thats for sure. Only real negative about Allardyce is that he has had no success in Europe - even with the players hes had, youd have expected them to do better in the UEFA Cup, yet his sides have failed to deliver. Whether thats down to his lack of resources, players, etc is irrelevant - if were going to expect someone to both qualify for Europe as well as go far in European competitions, on top of being a top 6 side domestically as a minimum, then we really should go for a manager with a decent continental record, not just purely domestic success.

Guest Nappy Rash

Right I think I might be getting somewhere, ok here goes... Why was Huntington playing at left back?

Because we've had a season of unprecedented injuries, more than in our entire history  :uglystupid2:

erm...  :undecided:

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/8743/roederci8.jpg

you'll have to enlighten me tbh

Because we've had a season of unprecedented injuries, more than in our entire history  :uglystupid2:

Or because our only left back (who isn't good enough) was injured, now if only we knew Babayaro was injury prone we could have done something sooner... Well we did sign Bernard I suppose :lol:

Guest Nappy Rash

it's a fair point, there have been a number games this season where we've played ok/well/good but not put the ball in the net, conceded then collapsed like a pack of cards

if michael owen had played 15-20 games with martins the season would have had a totally different look about it, believe me

Yorkshire Mutants away was another, but for some reason the prozac munchers wont agree.

I do love the way you throw in a dig at someone when you are struggling to understand things.

There is quite a difference between signing a player that has been allowed to leave a club and having to work to bring in a player a club doesn't really want to go or other clubs are trying to get. So far Roeder seems to have failed in getting players that other clubs are seriously interested in (Huth, Woodgate, Kuyt...) or that the clubs don't want to let go (Knight, Davies, Babel, French striker we tried to sign at the end of the last transfer window...).

i like this concept, that you have to "work" at transfers and they're "incredibly difficult" to make happen

surely times haven't changed beyond picking the phone up, saying how much for this lad?  negotiating until you reach an agreement? 

where else does the work come in?  you never hear about manu, chel$ki, arsenal, liverpool having to "work" do you?  they either pay the asking price or don't

"work" is what you do when you're trying to get something for nothing

erm...  :undecided:

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/8743/roederci8.jpg

you'll have to enlighten me tbh

Fucking hell look at the state of that :lol:

Guest Nappy Rash

Or because our only left back (who isn't good enough) was injured, now if only we knew Babayaro was injury prone we could have done something sooner... Well we did sign Bernard I suppose :lol:

Yes our two left backs were injured  :uglystupid2:

Remember when Krul went in goal at Palermo, if only he had been shit it'd have made your day eh  :idiot2:

So injuries have had no bearing on our season then  :uglystupid2:

I'd have thought that an ever present Owen and Given would be worth at least another 10 points this season, not beyond the realms of possibility is it?

I guess all you prozac munchers would still be demanding his head and saying how s*** he's been in the transfer market  :idiot2:

I've finally found something I think I agree on with you, which is quite amazing considering the dross you come up with.. You are right, injuries have affected our season considerably. Maybe even to the point where we may have been challenging for European football. The point though is, we shouldn't be happy with what we could have achieved without the injuries for two reasons. Firstly, with our outlay and potential, we should be beating the likes of Bolton and Reading hands down. Secondly, a lack of a squad is something that Roeder is to blame for. We were in trouble defensively before the January transfer window, yet we seemingly only started looking at solutions partway through that window and ended up doing nothing to really resolve the issue. If we (Roeder) had, we could have achieved European football next season. If you are pleased with the few things Roeder has done right in his time at the club and select to ignore his many mistakes and flaws it's easy to kid yourself into thinking he is a decent enough manager. Some of us actually use their brans for more than childish namecalling and can see we can do and should do better..

i like this concept, that you have to "work" at transfers and they're "incredibly difficult" to make happen

surely times haven't changed beyond picking the phone up, saying how much for this lad?  negotiating until you reach an agreement? 

where else does the work come in?  you never hear about manu, chel$ki, arsenal, liverpool having to "work" do you?  they either pay the asking price or don't

Aye because transfers always happen in a matter of days. Manchester United just decided they wanted Carrick went straight in and signed him.

Surely it's just as easy to speculate that with a half-decent defence we'd be doing much better too? We got as far as we did in the Waffa Cup with the striking options now, with a better defence could we have won it?

So injuries have had no bearing on our season then  :uglystupid2:

I'd have thought that an ever present Owen and Given would be worth at least another 10 points this season, not beyond the realms of possibility is it?

I guess all you prozac munchers would still be demanding his head and saying how s*** he's been in the transfer market  :idiot2:

I've finally found something I think I agree on with you, which is quite amazing considering the dross you come up with.. You are right, injuries have affected our season considerably. Maybe even to the point where we may have been challenging for European football. The point though is, we shouldn't be happy with what we could have achieved without the injuries for two reasons. Firstly, with our outlay and potential, we should be beating the likes of Bolton and Reading hands down. Secondly, a lack of a squad is something that Roeder is to blame for. We were in trouble defensively before the January transfer window, yet we seemingly only started looking at solutions partway through that window and ended up doing nothing to really resolve the issue. If we (Roeder) had, we could have achieved European football next season. If you are pleased with the few things Roeder has done right in his time at the club and select to ignore his many mistakes and flaws it's easy to kid yourself into thinking he is a decent enough manager. Some of us actually use their brans for more than childish namecalling and can see we can do and should do better..

Spot on.

But I thought according to you not siigning the players you wanted was all down to that bastard Fat Fred The Pie Eater?

But no, now it's down to Roeder.

Fact is, you don't know a thing about the background to any of these so-called transfer targets. Not a thing. Neither does anybody on this forum, but you just want to moan on and on and on. If you're going to slag the manager do it based on facts, solid facts, not wild speculation published by the mainly lying bastards in the media, who will write whatever it takes to sell their shitty rag whichever one it may be. 

Yes, a manager can be judged on his transfer dealings but that is in respect to how it turns out on the field of play because what happens on the field of play will be as a result of his entire managerial performance.

Aye because transfers always happen in a matter of days. Manchester United just decided they wanted Carrick went straight in and signed him.

no, they started with a bid and increased it 'til spurs accepted then the deal went through...it's negotiating 101 ain't it?

Earth to aliens:

Mourinho didnt want Duff to leave and Oba put in a transfer request  :idiot2:

Aye Jose fought tooth and nail to keep him :lol:

I am starting to think you are just on the WUM now, you really can't be this stupid.

Roeder has brought in 6 players and one of them has improved the team, thats not a ratio that gives me confidence that he will spend well in the summer.

personally i think the way he's operating in the transfer market is to the benefit of the club as a whole - no manager has a 100% success record in transfers do they?

so far martins has been very good, sib has exceeded expectations and duff has been a disappointment (but is hardly to be written off at age 27)

rossi should have been used more (but then he was tied for quite a few games), bernard was/is a joke and gooch has not been as good as we'd hoped

all in all the 6 players he's brought in haven't damaged us too much have they?  he hasn't panic bought a 9.5m player yet has he?

i have to believe that roeder, and the club, have learned from their mistakes to this point and will take steps to rectify them this summer....

the alternative as i see it is another season of a new manager coming in and "assessing" the players we all know need to leave before then not being given the chance to change things round

if roeder doesn't act this summer then he's pulling the trigger on himself, simple as that....

Jesus. You WANT to let him bring more players like f****** Gooch into the club??

you TRUST a man who automatically plays Carr???

Roeder has been woeful, he'll learn f*** all because he thinks he was right, and he'll drag us down.

I'm more worried that he continually picks Parker.

You won't leave it will you. :lol: :cheesy:

;)

Well, that's because I am REALLY worried about it. I'd select Carr at fullback ahead of Parker in midfield, for example. I'd select Ameobi up front as a striker ahead of Parker in midfield as another example. Both of these players are slated but both do better at their role than Parker does at his.

In my opinion Parker has a negative impact on the entire team play and it really pisses me off that Roeder picks him every time he's fit. The thought he may even want to build a team around such a s*** player is mind numbing.

I don't think Roeder is very good, but I don't think "just anybody" would do a better job and the circumstances have to be taken into account. As I've said before, a so-called "top" manager will expect and demand a certain level of financial backing in the transfer market, backing that the present Board has always given imo, just looking at the money spent will tell you that. However, it could well be that sufficient cash is just not there following the Souness debacle, I suspect it is going to take another a couple of years to get over the money wasted by that clown on the likes of Parker, Emre, Boumsong, Luque etc.

We need to consolidate first ( I think we're doing that now ) and then show we are moving forward next season so that when the financial clout is there the club can attract a better quality manager at that time. After saying that, if the right level of cash is there right now I'd get rid of Roeder and bring a better man in. Who that is, I don't know, but I don't like Allardyce, that's for sure. He's hyped up in the same way O'Neill is hyped, both of whom have a track record no better than Souness. Neither would be the right man imo.

Parker's main failing is his distribution and the fact that GR seems to have burdened him/talked him into/been talked into this idea that he can get forward in some kind of AM role with def duties. IMO this is the main confusion for Parker because he lacks the basic qualities (doesn't read the game well either) to know when to break the leash.

I also have a theory that the Parker at Charlton was more confident and hence 'looser' as a player a lot of which he lost during his time at Chelsea (Morinho is notorioulsy keen to keep his CM frugal and not risk takers in possession).

So esentially what Parker has done is over exentuate his 'running around and tackling' mainly because he has no real vision of his role (or core position) or is not suited to the role (ultimately GR's fault). I cringe at his backpassing and the resultant hoofing from a CD at least 10 times a  game ending in lost posession. But I will add correctly positioned with limited instructions there is still some hope for Parker, but maybe he isn't really a proper DM...Football has moved on. This is now a key position as Alonso, Makalele and Pirlo have shown...Ultimately I agree we need a new DM at some point but atm it isn't a priority.

A team like Chelsea and especially under M will burn out players much faster, it is well known that 'M' always keeps the pressure on and scrutinises performances to the enth degree...I think we have seen that Duff has slowly returened to some kind of form and will be better next year.

We are rebuilding (but I also believe money is there and can be found if we really need it and this has nothing to do with accounts or the stock market), people forget  a club like ours has many financial instruments to raise money at short notice. But in general I think we are in a consolidation period. Allardyce yes atm I'd prefer him to Roeder, but yes there are many other who are BETTER.