Roeder Resigns (paid off tbh) - Official.

Nate

Guest Christian Hayne

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/newcastle/article1756116.ece

Newcastle lose patience with RoederGeorge Caulkin

Confirmation of Glenn Roeder’s departure as Newcastle United’s manager is expected imminently, as another torrid weekend on Tyneside saw support leech away from the Londoner. Freddy Shepherd, the chairman, spent Bank Holiday Sunday locked in discussions at St James’ Park with fellow directors and Roeder’s dismissal is now a matter of public formality.

For the first time in his 15-month spell at Newcastle, Roeder faced calls for his sacking on Saturday, when his side posted a dismal 2-0 home defeat by Blackburn Rovers. The team have won just once in their past ten matches and, while Shepherd recently offered his backing to Roeder in private, circumstances have changed.

Roeder was summoned to attend an emergency board meeting today when it is understood he was relieved of his duties. A severance package will encompass 12 months’ salary. Witless losses to Blackburn and Reading have followed the sudden availability of Sam Allardyce, who resigned as Bolton Wanderers manager a week ago. With Alan Shearer, Shepherd’s ideal choice, showing little inclination to leave the comfort of the Match of the Day studios, Allardyce is the obvious candidate to replace Roeder, although there would be complications to overcome.

Sunderland’s bullish promotion under Niall Quinn and Roy Keane represents another source of pressure and Newcastle’s first-team squad is patently in need of a significant overhaul. The irony is that Roeder had a clear long-term vision for the club - and he refused to waste money on substandard signings last January - but his message has not been heeded by his players.

Allardyce’s contract at the Reebok Stadium stretched for another two years and Phil Gartside, the Bolton’s chairman, has already stated that he will seek compensation if his former employer assumes a new position. Shepherd may also feel some concern at reports that Allardyce faces another bout of questioning from Quest, the Premier League investigators.

As of today, Shepherd was adamant that no contact had been made. “I have never spoken to Sam Allardyce and he has never spoken to me,” he said. “I don’t know where all this is coming from.” Bolton’s functional style of football may not to appeal to Newcastle fans, yet Allardyce - who has been on a family holiday - lifted the club far above their status, made some astute signings and embraced new technology.

Newcastle are adamant that they are not pursing Sven Goran Eriksson and, while Shepherd cannot have failed to be impressed by the solid achievements of Mark Hughes at Blackburn Rovers, Ladbrokes have suspended betting on Allardyce succeeding Roeder in one of English football’s most demanding roles. “As far as we’re concerned, it’s a case of when and not if,” a spokesman said.

Whatever transpires next, Roeder’s pleas for patience, aired today, will not be heeded. “What has happened here this year has been out of my control,” Roeder said, “and I believe I deserve to go into a second season. We’re all big boys and I understand the rules of football, but things have happened to me this year that have been out of my control.

“The people with any understanding will know the problems the club has had this year. If, come Christmas, we’re not where we ought to be in that top-six or within a point or two of it - and we have one or two injured and not 12 injured, I would accept the questions that are being asked now. I feel I deserve to go through the summer. Judge me in a normal season, without those injuries, around Christmas time.” Roeder excelled, initially in a caretaker capacity, when he took the helm from Graeme Souness in February 2006. He lifted Newcastle, a team threatened with relegation, to seventh in the table, which ultimately earned them qualification for the Uefa Cup.

This season has been miserable, however and, while Roeder has been undermined by a disastrous list of injuries, Saturday’s chaotic scenes pointed to a lack of leadership.

Guest smoggeordie

Who fancies sending a taxi to SJP?

:lol:  "We're here to pick up a Mr G Roeder" :lol:

SSN now saying he has been told after the meeting he has to fight to save his job.

Fight Freddy?

Nah ... They've currently got Roeder and Allardyce stripped down to their underpants with gloves on, going toe to toe for the job.

Roeder struggling and blaming injuries already ... claims Allardyce has spat his gum in his eye.

Guest nufc 4 life

fucking hell this thread is faster than any other i have seen even on match day lets hope it's true though

they cant announce it until 6am tomorrow morning tho, right? due to stock exchange?

It'd have to be Tuesday, what with tomorrow being bank holiday.

But the chances are - if they're gonna do - they'll do it tonight anyway.

Surely they're not allowed to puclicly announce anything till Tuesday?

WOW we're organised. :lol:

They can announce it. Look, if we sack him now, we can announce it to the whole world and we wouldn't be breaking any laws. We just have to announce to the stock market as it opens again. There's nothing wrong with announcing it now!! There's nothing wron with signing players on a Saturday, nothing wrong with firing managers on the weekend/holiday/whatever!

Guest Knightrider

I just sent one, Dixons :lol:

"Where to"

"Milburn Entrance SJP please"

"Name?"

"Glenn Goeing"

anybody watching sky sports news.. to confirm what BELFAST BOY is saying

It is true, that was said.

Cheers for that, I was beginning to doubt I had heard it.

I didn't post it myself, just incase. Didn't want it to be so either :(

Surely they're not allowed to puclicly announce anything till Tuesday?

WOW we're organised. :lol:

They can announce it. Look, if we sack him now, we can announce it to the whole world and we wouldn't be breaking any laws. We just have to announce to the stock market as it opens again. There's nothing wrong with announcing it now!! There's nothing wron with signing players on a Saturday, nothing wrong with firing managers on the weekend/holiday/whatever!

Aye, fair enough. Exclamation marks hurt my feelings btw.