Owen To Leave?

Dinho lad

cant see him leaving this summer, but definately next if we dont make great strides.

he owes us a year, and he knows it, he cant come here and be injured for 2 years, let us pickup the tab and then do one when he i in (apparently) the best shape of his life.

we'll get a year out of him, im convinced of that

I'd be happy for there to be a release clause as I'd love to see MO playing regularly at WHL, I think he and Berbatov would be a superb partnership. 

PMSL you can't keep hold of decent players, Carrick was off at the first opportunity.  I'd be amazed if a) Owen isn't here next season and b) Berbatov is still at Spurs and c) not even the great Arthur C Clarke could write such an unbelievable story as Michael Owen leaving Newcastle for a little club like Spurs.

He surely will stay for a year, he owes the club that much for all the effort they put into his rehabilitation, and to be honest i'm not sure any top 4 club would be overly interested in a player who has been injured for nearly 2 seasons and hasn't had much time back on the park, but by 2008 he could well be gone........

cant see him leaving this summer, but definately next if we dont make great strides.

he owes us a year, and he knows it, he cant come here and be injured for 2 years, let us pickup the tab and then do one when he i in (apparently) the best shape of his life.

If we were going to sell him I'd sell him next summer as he'll only have a year left on his contract and I doubt he'll want to renew it.

If we were going to sell him I'd sell him next summer as he'll only have a year left on his contract and I doubt he'll want to renew it.

I can't see him leaving full stop especially not on the contract he is on. I mean Thierry Henry only recently singed a new contract of 100K per week at Arsenal and Owen earns 110K per week. Only Chelski or Man U could offer those terms and FFS has already clearly stated there is no clause.

I can't see him leaving full stop especially not on the contract he is on. I mean Thierry Henry only recently singed a new contract of 100K per week at Arsenal and Owen earns 110K per week. Only Chelski or Man U could offer those terms and FFS has already clearly stated there is no clause.

and you believe him?? ahahahahahahahaaha

I'd be very disspointed if he left this summer.  I'd understand, but i think he should have a good year with us and see how the new manager works out.  If he leaves next summer, I'll wish him good luck.  If he leaves this summer, i will be quite bitter about it.

I would hope he'd at least see who we bring in as manager before fucking off.

If he does go, i'll be pissed off at him, even though I know he has every right to look after himself.

Is there or is there not a get out clause?

at the time he signed I am sure Freddy made it dam clear there was no get out clause in the contract and he said it was the way both him and Owen wanted it.

Hunted for the article but the official site archive does not go back to Fed 06.

I cant believe the club would sell Owen, they sold the most amount of shirts this year with his name on them, you the club really stick one on the fans by making their shirts useless and selling Owen? could they get away with something like that?

no I was wrong, found it the story was that he had clause he could get out of the contract after  1 year but Fred denied that, did say , well read below.....

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/news/tm_method=full%26objectid=15918883%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Shepherd denied there was a get-out clause in Owen's four-year deal. "I heard a little rumour Michael has a clause in his contract which states he can leave in one year's time," he said.

"I can tell you he hasn't. Of course Michael has clauses in his contract. In this day and age all top players do. But that is not one of them."

AND

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/news/tm_method=full%26objectid=15915545%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

No get-out clause in striker's contract

Aug 31 2005

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Freddy Shepherd has vehemently denied that Michael Owen has a 12-month get-out clause in his Newcastle United contract.

Shepherd's signing of Owen has reverberated around world football but there has been talk of several clauses in the contract, including a supposed one that Owen could walk away from St James' Park if he did not like it at the end of the season.

However, Shepherd told me today: "Michael Owen has signed a four-year deal and that's the end of it. I can categorically say that there is no 12-month get-out clause."

When I asked the United chairman if there were any other clauses he would only say: "I have never known a transfer deal yet that did not include several clauses - on both sides."

While the rest of football felt that Owen would end up going home to Liverpool, Shepherd and his skipper Alan Shearer were always confident that the England international would end up in a black and white shirt.

Added the United chairman: "Obviously we were aware of the situation regarding Michael and Liverpool but I was never in any doubt it would happen here.

"But don't underestimate the parts Graeme Souness, Alan Shearer and Dean Saunders played when we talked to Michael at Mitford on Monday afternoon.

"They put together some presentation and Michael could not have failed to have been impressed by it. I know I was. I always felt that we would get Michael because it was the right move for him and the right move for us.

"We go hand in hand and it is a match made in a Geordie heaven."

Shepherd has been pilloried in some quarters for not splashing out in the close season even though even before the arrival of Owen, United had spent £20m

Shepherd said: "We knew the four players we wanted and we had to stay cool and not panic until we got them - something we have now achieved."

Whats all this shite about him owing us? Does anyone REALLY think thats how he feels?

Yes. That may be naive, but i do think he feels guilty about the amount of money he's taken out of the club without playing more than a handful of games. If the new manager is someone of Allardyce, Eriksson or Houllier's ilk, and not another comical appointment, i think he'll be here at the beginning next season at least.

no I was wrong, found it the story was that he had clause he could get out of the contract after  1 year but Fred denied that, did say , well read below.....

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/news/tm_method=full%26objectid=15918883%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Shepherd denied there was a get-out clause in Owen's four-year deal. "I heard a little rumour Michael has a clause in his contract which states he can leave in one year's time," he said.

"I can tell you he hasn't. Of course Michael has clauses in his contract. In this day and age all top players do. But that is not one of them."

AND

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/news/tm_method=full%26objectid=15915545%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

No get-out clause in striker's contract

Aug 31 2005

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Freddy Shepherd has vehemently denied that Michael Owen has a 12-month get-out clause in his Newcastle United contract.

Shepherd's signing of Owen has reverberated around world football but there has been talk of several clauses in the contract, including a supposed one that Owen could walk away from St James' Park if he did not like it at the end of the season.

However, Shepherd told me today: "Michael Owen has signed a four-year deal and that's the end of it. I can categorically say that there is no 12-month get-out clause."

When I asked the United chairman if there were any other clauses he would only say: "I have never known a transfer deal yet that did not include several clauses - on both sides."

While the rest of football felt that Owen would end up going home to Liverpool, Shepherd and his skipper Alan Shearer were always confident that the England international would end up in a black and white shirt.

Added the United chairman: "Obviously we were aware of the situation regarding Michael and Liverpool but I was never in any doubt it would happen here.

"But don't underestimate the parts Graeme Souness, Alan Shearer and Dean Saunders played when we talked to Michael at Mitford on Monday afternoon.

"They put together some presentation and Michael could not have failed to have been impressed by it. I know I was. I always felt that we would get Michael because it was the right move for him and the right move for us.

"We go hand in hand and it is a match made in a Geordie heaven."

Shepherd has been pilloried in some quarters for not splashing out in the close season even though even before the arrival of Owen, United had spent £20m

Shepherd said: "We knew the four players we wanted and we had to stay cool and not panic until we got them - something we have now achieved."

so, technically that "year" is gone & there could be a get-out clause, right?  :undecided:

Last night, I told my Grandad on the phone:

"expect every single paper to start linking Owen with a move away every single day until September 1st, as the press hat the idea of Owen playing for us. He'll be here next season."

I stand by my comments.

If Owen's not here on September 1st, are you willing to be banned? :razz:

Last night, I told my Grandad on the phone:

"expect every single paper to start linking Owen with a move away every single day until September 1st, as the press hat the idea of Owen playing for us. He'll be here next season."

I stand by my comments.

If Owen's not here on September 1st, are you willing to be banned? :razz:

No, football is a funny old game and all that.

Look ... Michael Owen is a great footballer, but I don't think it is that big a deal if we let him leave, as long as we get in some really good players in return.

If we let Owen go and brought in Darren Bent for example I really wouldn't be losing any sleep over little Micky. It might be for the best if we just made a clean break and ensured that by the time next season comes around that the only players who will be left at the club are players who have a real desire to be here and who are excited about playing for Newcastle.

Besides ... considering we are a lower half club I'm not sure it is such a good idea forking out £110,000 a week to just one player. We need to start from the bottom and build ourselves back up.

Surely Shepherd aint that daft?

Who knows. But perhaps it's written in Owen’s contract that the release clause will go down and down after x season(s), or by not qualifying for Europe.

There are few reasons there to why his release clause may possibly be cheap.  :undecided:

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he did have a release contract with a (relatively) low figure in his contract, the general opinion when he came back being that he didn't really want to be at Newcastle in the first place, it was just being in England prior to the WC that counted.

Given what has happened since, though, if he exercises it, then he's a total cunt of the highest order.

I doubt it'd be to go to Spurs, though. Much more believable if it was Man United.

Guest zicobones

The other thing, ManU?  Do you think he really wants to ruin any ties he has with liverpool?  He'll be hated there.

there mentioning him coming back to liverpool but i cant see it myself i think he will stay at newcastle expect a transfer request about 5 days before the transfer window closes off the little cunt  ;D

How many years has he left on his contract? 2?

If so, we'll have no option but to sell next summer, unless he signs a new contract.

Imagine how bad a signing he would be if he walked on a bosman, 4 years here, 2 seasons out injured, £120k a week, £17m transfer fee....