Barton on his way to Toon?

stozo

I think Allardyce likes a flair player in the middle, Dyorkaeff, Okacha and to a lesser extent Nakata.

I reckon Bolton have suffered this season for not having that kind of player at the moment.

Even if he does sign Barton it doesn't mean that he's gonna be the playmaker. He might think he can get that out of Emre or maybe he'll sign someone else. There's plenty of time.

Sounds like a back up option if/as we have lost out to chelsea for sidwell and cant afford Nolan.

For £3m or less I would take him, im pretty sure Allardyce would sort him out, a change of scenery is definatley a start for what he needs, alot of therapy wouldnt go amiss either!

No less an arsehole than Bellamy, its Big Sams call really. We could do better, but he would be a good addition on the footballing side.

Arteta would be ideal but as likely as buying Rooney.

Another player from the bent tins department.

ie. Volatile & is in possession of an ego to compliment his firebrand temperament, and therfore needs a manager who can effectively handle/man-manage him.

I seem to remember you wanting the club to get rid of Bellamy - ie. our then best player - while singing a similar tune.

Big Sam has shown that he handle volatile/temperamental types, while getting the best out of them on the pitch. Diouf is the notable example in this regard. For this reason, and if the pricetag is a couple of million or so, Barton is worth a gamble. We need some penetration into the box, from midfield that is, and Barton fits the bill.

I'd have Diouf as well, provided the price was right. As a utility forward he is imo an upgrade over Dyer.

Another player from the bent tins department.

ie. Volatile & is in possession of an ego to compliment his firebrand temperament, and therfore needs a manager who can effectively handle/man-manage him.

I seem to remember you wanting the club to get rid of Bellamy - ie. our then best player - while singing a similar tune.

Your memory is defective.

Bowyer, however, yes.

We already have a track record of spectacular "bad-boy" explosions. Why tempt fate? I think it's far-too optimistic to think that Big Sam has the magic touch with these kinds of players just because he's been able to deal with Diouf for a few years.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Barton is basically Scott Parker, but with personality issues. He's certainly not the kind of player that could dramatically turn our club around. Should focus on making good with our salvagable assets rather than taking a big gamble on a human time bomb.

Barton to be doing Prison time by 2009 at the latest, tbh.

The term "richer clubs" is certainly an unusual one to use. What is indisputable is that we are one of the tichest clubs in the world, and here in the UK we are one of the 'rich five', whose annual turnover puts them in a clear seperate group, well ahead of the 6th one and all those below 6th.

It is success-on-the-field (translating all that money into winning trophies) that has been the problem.

It is not for financial reasons, that we have not / perhaps 'will' not, buy the best players.

Why would we even consider their ~£5m asking price when he's not going to play for them again?  When we fall out with players and publicly say we're desperate to get rid of them other clubs grab us by the fucking knackers and get a bargain, do the same to these lot.  It's not like it's a tragedy if we miss out.

If Newcastle want to buy Barton, you're welcome to him, talented without a doubt, but takes the term 'loose cannon' to a completely new level.

I reckon he will go to Everton or Celtic, probably for about £3m.

Guest maddog2

For a midfielder who never plays a killer ball nor is particularly effective in breaking up attacks - a goal return of 6-7 is quite poor.

He is no better than Parker who is a lot more intelligent defensively than Barton, and is not comparable to Butt who is a destroyer.

However, I can see Sam going for Barton - he likes battlers rather than creative players.

For a midfielder who never plays a killer ball nor is particularly effective in breaking up attacks - a goal return of 6-7 is quite poor.

He is no better than Parker who is a lot more intelligent defensively than Barton, and is not comparable to Butt who is a destroyer.

However, I can see Sam going for Barton - he likes battlers rather than creative players.

I think he knows you need both battlers and creative players tbh.

Guest teepee

buying barton is completely idiotic - and our club will be seen as an even bigger joke than it is today

Guest elbee909

A guy who repeatedly punched someone in the face and head is an example of a 'poor attitude' that can be 'sorted out'?  For fuck's sake.  The guy's a bloody timebomb.

I'm neither pro or anti Barton. I think he's a good player, good engine, got drive and can grab a game by the scruff of its neck - perhaps something our CM's have been lacking in this season.

That said, his attitude is questionnable. No doubt.

My problem with this (should we show an interest or indeed sign him) is that, in some respects, it's another Damien Duff style signing i.e: We're buying him because he's unexpectedly available, slightly cheaper than perhaps he's worth and maybe we don't want say an Everton, Villa or Portsmouth to sign him.

There's no planning. It's not like we've wanted him for years and now our chance has suddenly arrived nor it is that he's good enough to build a team around (Lets face it, he's no Zidane).

Does Sam already know what he wants to do with Emre, Butt and Parker? Does he know for sure that he won't play Milner, Dyer or the Zog through the middle? Surely not, at least not already?

If we get (or even try to buy him) it's almost like its for the wrong reasons.

We already have a track record of spectacular "bad-boy" explosions. Why tempt fate? I think it's far-too optimistic to think that Big Sam has the magic touch with these kinds of players just because he's been able to deal with Diouf for a few years.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Barton is basically Scott Parker, but with personality issues. He's certainly not the kind of player that could dramatically turn our club around. Should focus on making good with our salvagable assets rather than taking a big gamble on a human time bomb.

Barton to be doing Prison time by 2009 at the latest, tbh.

Got to agree with this. Barton is a ticking time bomb, a complete thug, will be a nightmare, very very unpopular with other players  and is no better than Parker imo

Imo opinion big Sam could get Parker/Butt and Emre working really well, unlike Roeder who wanted Parker to play in a more advanced 'our Gerrard' style role and made Emre stay back more, when the rest of us could clearly see parker is suited as a more defensive type player and Emre  should be encouraged to go forward alot more. Parker and Emre are clearly very good individual players who just haven't ben able to play as well as they should be, within our team due to shite managers (Souness tring to play without wingers and Roeder not playing them in their correct roles. Big Sam will hopefully see what most of us can see here.