Sir Alex Ferguson

Guest kingdawson

Guest firetotheworks

Not a fucking chance in the world. They're the most marketable team in the world, with huge pull, huge resources, huge fanbase, a long, successful history and a huge amount of pull for the best managers, players and money for TV.

In short, they're huge and it would take a colossal series of fuck ups for at least a decade to stop them from being anything else. People still big up Liverpool and that was the 80s, way before TV deals and all of the other avenues that specifically Man United have rinsed continuously for 20 years.

Guest neesy111

Would take a series of horrendous managerial appointments for them to even drop out of the top 3 IMO. The infrastructure, income and reputation to players are all there, they're on another planet to most other clubs in that respect. Don't they bring in more than 4 times what we do in a year?

Around that aye.  They make more commercially than what we do overall.

Was easier to do that in 60's and 70's do well and then slide down the league.

Ipswich.

Blackburn.

Leeds.

Newcastle.

Come to mind in recent years.

Not European Cup winners though, any of them. Or UEFA Champions League or whatever they call it. UCL FFS. I still laugh internally every time I mentally replay Denis Law's backheeled goal that sent them down. The best anti-celebration ever tbf.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Ipswich.

Blackburn.

Leeds.

Newcastle.

Not European Cup winners though, any of them. Or UEFA Champions League or whatever they call it. UCL FFS. I still laugh internally every time I mentally replay Denis Law's backheeled goal that sent them down. The best anti-celebration ever tbf.

True. Guess only Leeds would come close that.

Ipswich.

Blackburn.

Leeds.

Newcastle.

Forest. tbh, and Villa.

Ipswich.

Blackburn.

Leeds.

Newcastle.

Aye, they got robbed against Bayern Munchen back in the day iirc. 75? Served the cheating bastards right though, they never played fair. I can well remember as a kid turning to me dad and saying "Allan Clarke/Joe Jordan/Terry Yorath/any of their despicable players just handled that/fell over/fouled our man" and him saying "Yeah, that's how they win all the time." A salutary lesson I continue to ignore.

Play the game!

I'd say Liverpool is the best example of a top, top club that has fallen in the last few years. While I don't think Man U will fall out of the top 4 any time soon, I do think it's certainly a possibility when Ferguson retires. It'll be a huge change for a club that has had the same manager for as long as they have, and while they should be perfectly set up and prepared for it, it won't take more than a couple of poor managerial appointments for them to start slipping. Will be very interesting who replaces him and how he handles that huge amount of pressure.

Ipswich.

Blackburn.

Leeds.

Newcastle.

Forest. tbh, and Villa.

Forest, yes. Villa on their imminent relegation will be such a scream. Although Brummie seems such a nice chap I'd like to keep Villa 1 in the Prem for him to support and Villa 2 sliding down the Leagues for the bedsheet brigade. Sorry, that grudge ain't going anywhere. :lol:

Even Liverpool are still a massive, massive club. Not far away from being in that second bracket of clubs that they where in for awhile under Rafa. Since they lost won the league they've won what, 10 trophies? 2 CL finals? UEFA cup. Multiple FA Cups.

I would lie Man Utd to be Villa status in 20 years.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Ipswich.

Blackburn.

Leeds.

Newcastle.

Forest. tbh, and Villa.

Forest, yes. Villa on their imminent relegation will be such a scream. Although Brummie seems such a nice chap I'd like to keep Villa 1 in the Prem for him to support and Villa 2 sliding down the Leagues for the bedsheet brigade. Sorry, that grudge ain't going anywhere. :lol:

Dennis Mortimer was the UEFA B Tutor this year in the North-East!

It's not necessarily all about a complete collapse at Man Utd, but even a slight dip in form could let other teams in and push them out.  Think Chelsea last year....who would have thought that they would have dropped out of the top 4 (albeit only for one season).

What happens when you get a resurgence of Arsenal and Liverpool, and add them to Spurs, Chelsea and Citeh - now there are six teams chasing the top 4 spots.

As soon as Fergie is gone, then the replacement manager will have to deliver the same level of performance or they will be immediately hounded out (A la Chelsea or Liverpool)

Ultimately everything they have going for them amounts to a financial advantage when it comes to recruiting new players, and there are 2 sides in this country who can match them in that respect.

Anyone can get it wrong appointing a new manager and the Man United board haven't had to make that decision yet.

If the Glazers lose their nerve and start hiring and firing the way Chelsea do, or if they get a new manager who spends money like Dalglish and co, then there is no reason why teams with relatively meagre resources can't finish above them, in the same way that we finished ahead of Liverpool and Chelsea last year.

IMO it may depend on the transition season or two afterwards, they could end up like Chelsea stuck with a bunch of players now with some level of player power and could go the way of chelsea, still doing well enough but manager after manager fatally undermined. Ferguson's ruthlessness has been what's kept them at that level long term and they they may struggle when they lose it.

The Dodgers to Real's Yankees. Even if they fall off competitively, it wouldn't take much for them to get right back into it. They'll be a top club for the rest of our lives.

Sometimes it has got so bad, that I’ve been smuggled out of European stadia under blankets because of the strength of feeling against me. But you zone out, you have to.

It happened to me during a UEFA Cup match at San Sebastian, in Turkey at Galatasaray, and even at Sunderland. At the Stadium of Light, they were camped around the transport vehicle, so I huddled down at the back of the assessors car. How can that be right?

:lol:

I didn't think it at the time, but the Rafael one looks a clear red and penalty from that photo in the Mail. Arms above your head has to be just as unnatural as arms extended out to the side.

The photo of Nani shows a clear booking at least. Which makes a mockery of the fawning mackem arse and his prattling commentary.

Regardless of the referee, 10 men teams usually put up much more of a fight these days and don't concede that quickly. Fifteen minutes and it was all over. Nothing Van Persie hasn't seen before though....

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2011/2/5/1296928007802/Newcastles-Cheik-Tiot--ce-001.jpg

IMO it may depend on the transition season or two afterwards, they could end up like Chelsea stuck with a bunch of players now with some level of player power and could go the way of chelsea, still doing well enough but manager after manager fatally undermined. Ferguson's ruthlessness has been what's kept them at that level long term and they they may struggle when they lose it.

On that note, The Sun think he's going to get rid of Rooney:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4828461/Wayne-Rooney-can-leav-Manchester-United-for-25million.html

MANCHESTER UNITED will listen to offers of £25million for striker Wayne Rooney.

That figure is half what they would have expected for the England star a year ago.

Rooney, 27, was sensationally axed from United’s Champions League starting line-up against Real Madrid on Tuesday night.

And with just over two years left on his current contract, the club are ready to accept a reduced fee.

United believe they have seen the best years from a player they signed from Everton for £30m nine years ago.

The decision by boss Alex Ferguson to leave Rooney out of the Champions League line-up to face Real stunned the player and his advisors.

Rooney tried to quit United 2½ years ago after claiming they lacked ambition.

He changed his mind and signed a new contract but his relationship with Ferguson has never been the same.

Ex-England and United striker Michael Owen said: “For Rooney not to start on Tuesday was a real kick in the teeth.”

Rooney, who has scored 140 goals in 271 games for United, is no longer the main striking option at the club with the arrival of Robin van Persie.

And Fergie now believes Danny Welbeck could be a better partner for the Dutchman.

If true there will be plenty of speculation about a bust up, but he's done this plenty of times before and it's nearly always helped the team.

The Guardian are also carrying a story saying that City arent interested because his wages price them out of a deal - Rooney is supposedly on £300,000 a week including add ons

Sometimes it has got so bad, that I’ve been smuggled out of European stadia under blankets because of the strength of feeling against me. But you zone out, you have to.

It happened to me during a UEFA Cup match at San Sebastian, in Turkey at Galatasaray, and even at Sunderland. At the Stadium of Light, they were camped around the transport vehicle, so I huddled down at the back of the assessors car. How can that be right?

:lol:

Love that after reading that, one of the related articles underneath is:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2288940/Cuneyt-Cakir-pictured-Referee-sent-Manchester-Uniteds-Nani-Real-Madrid.html?ICO=most_read_module

Even pointing out that he FOLLOWS RONALDO AND REAL MADRID ON TWITTER. That heinous bastard. :lol:

Guest Brendan_Rice

Think it's time Rooney moved on to another team anyway.

DO you think we will put in another bid?