Mark Viduka signs for Newcastle - 2 years + 1 more optional

Guest SwissMagpie

Guest eyeball_tickler

BIRMINGHAM are trying to gazump Newcastle by offering Mark Viduka a £3million-a-year switch to St Andrew’s.

Newly-promoted Brum are one of eight Premiership sides to have tabled offers for Middlesbrough’s out-of-contract Aussie striker. The 31-year-old looked set to join the Toon on a free but Birmingham have upped their offer to £60,000 a week.

And chairman David Gold said: “Until he has actually signed for anyone else, there is always a possibility.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2007250874,00.html

8 premiership sides?

Viduka 'set for Newcastle switch' 

Newcastle have agreed in principle to sign Middlesbrough striker Mark Viduka, the Press Association understands.

More soon.

From BBC sport

sibierski out, viduka in. that's one hell of an upgrade!

Going over old ground but if Sam can get him fighting fit & hungry he'll be a handful & could form a fantastic pairing with Owen/ Martins - if I were Owen I'd be well pleased; Viduka has fantastic vision.

sibierski out, viduka in. that's one hell of an upgrade!

Going over old ground but if Sam can get him fighting fit & hungry he'll be a handful & could form a fantastic pairing with Owen/ Martins - if I were Owen I'd be well pleased; Viduka has fantastic vision.

Attacking 3 of Martins,Owen and Viduka would be good.

I am happy with this, as someone said early it is one hell of an upgrade on Sibierski. Players that are over 30 get written off way too soon these days. If Viduka can stay injury free I reckon we could get another 2 good years from him.

3yr contract is it?

I think he'll be a good player next season, but then i really fear most people will be slagging him off for his last 2 here, getting a big contract and not doing much, Xmas in Oz etc etc

Guest Ridzuan
Newcastle have agreed in principle to sign Middlesbrough striker Mark Viduka.

The 31-year-old Australian has been offered an extended deal by Boro boss Gareth Southgate but has yet to give an answer to the Teessiders.

Newcastle say they have no comment to make about Viduka's possible switch from the Riverside to St James' Park.

Portsmouth and West Ham are also believed to be keen on Viduka and Birmingham have reportedly joined the chase to sign him as well.

Viduka is currently on a break before joining the Australia squad to play in the Asian Cup.

Talks are set to continue between the striker's camp and the Magpies later in the week with the ex-Celtic and Leeds player appearing certain to end his three-year spell at Boro.

Viduka was signed for the Riverside outfit in July 2004 by former England boss Steve McClaren in a £4.5m from Leeds.

He scored 19 goals last season as he played a major part in helping Southgate avoid relegation in his first season in charge.

A potential move to St James' Park would see him join new Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce's overhaul of the squad.

Allardyce took over the Magpies just two days after the end of the Premiership season and one of his main tasks in the striker department will be to persuade Michael Owen to stay.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/6721521.stm

Hope its true.Viduka is definitely much much better than Sibierski.

Guest Northern Boys Love Gravy!

It said today that he has agreed to join in "principle" .... but what does that mean??  :frantic:

It said today that he has agreed to join in "principle" .... but what does that mean??  :frantic:

'Viduka is currently on a break before joining the Australia squad to play in the Asian Cup.'

I think he has agreed to join but cant sign contract as on international duty?

ah right, get you....

its all good then.

The photo on BBC is amazing, the lad's got a face the size of a small country :laugh:

Got to love him though, can't wait to see him bullying defenders in the black and white.

How old is he? Do you think it will be a signin for a season or two, or will it be a kind of longish term contract?

3 years, I reckon. Basing that on absolutely nothing.

:lol:

You might love gravy, but you sure as hell don't read articles...

Thanks, I will take you advice  ;D