Scott Parker signs for West Ham - £6.5m (+£500k) fee confirmed

Dokko

Joey Barton career league stats:

02/03 - 7 apps - 1 goal - 0 assists

03/04 - 28 apps - 1 goal - 2 assists

04/05 - 31 apps - 1 goal - 4 assists

05/06 - 31 apps - 7 goals (1 pen) - 4 assists

06/07 - 33 apps - 6 goals - (1 pen) 4 assists

I think people are seriously overrating him. Parker got 3 goals this season. Barton only got 3 more and he played more games. I am not arguing to keep Parker here, i'm saying Barton is vastly overrated.

So gone are:

Pav

Bramble

Moore

Gooch

Bernard

Following soon:

Parker

Sib (unless he agrees to stay for 1 year instead of the 2 he is seeking)

So thats 7 players gone and thats probably not even the end of players yet to leave and bringing in a total of just 7m. Also only one of these players likely to be on big wages is Parker so not saving too much on the wage bill.

We knew before getting rid of any players we desperately needed to boost the squad numbers, now with 7 gone and counting how many players do you think Sam needs to bring in?

PS I would have made a new thread but being one of those unfairly penalised for not having been a too frequent poster I couldn't. Perhaps if I had started pointless threads and made pointless replies I would have reached the 100 posts or so required to start threads.

As much as people wont want to believe it I reckon Moore (free transfer) and Bramble (been here for years) will have been on a fair whack!

Moore was on £10k pw, not sure what Bramble was on but he came from the Championship and never signed a contract extension in his time here.

Where did you hear that? I remember rumours of Moore being on £40k a week and I am sure Bramble has signed at least one improved contract since he joined.

Even so the players we've got rid of except Parker are probably not amongst the highest earners - owen, dyer, luque, emre etc

Looking at the premiership clubs wages, the top 5 are as follows: -

PREMIER LEAGUE'S TOP WAGE BILLS 2005/06

Chelsea - £114m

Manchester Utd - £85m

Arsenal - £83m

Liverpool - £69m

Newcastle Utd - £52m

Source: Deloitte

Now the wages may have been helped a bit by those released, but it doesn't get away from the fact we've got a situation where we have a tiny squad but a massive wage bill.

That £52M would have included Shearer as well.  With him gone and a few others - this will come down.  If we can get players on free's this is better that borrowing money for players.  Even if it does push the wages up slightly.

Having said all that - if Asley takes control - this will all go up in smoke and be irrelevant anyway.

I think people are seriously overrating him. Parker got 3 goals this season. Barton only got 3 more and he played more games. I am not arguing to keep Parker here, i'm saying Barton is vastly overrated.

Its not all about goal - think you will find he had more assists and is genrally more effective at bringing others into play.

Either way, not a big fan of his.

We need some midfielders with end product in. Emre hasn't got an end product, neither has Dyer. Sell them both.

You're right, neither have ever showed any end product.

Why oh why must we sell everyone who under-performed last season (ie. the whole team)? We've got a new manager coming in, with new techniques. Emre, Dyer etc are not bad players, and I for one would like to see them start afresh with a new manager, so we can see what he can do for them. Admittedly some players need to go and have gone, but I don't see any reason to replace Emre or Dyer.

Barton is more of a Roy Keane type midfielder, someone who can get up and down the pitch and grab the game by the scruff of the neck when he needs to, he's what most thought Parker would be when he came here, not the headless chicken he turned out to be.

We need some midfielders with end product in. Emre hasn't got an end product, neither has Dyer. Sell them both.

You're right, neither have ever showed any end product.

Why oh why must we sell everyone who under-performed last season (ie. the whole team)? We've got a new manager coming in, with new techniques. Emre, Dyer etc are not bad players, and I for one would like to see them start afresh with a new manager, so we can see what he can do for them. Admittedly some players need to go and have gone, but I don't see any reason to replace Emre or Dyer.

Agreed, if we got rid of everyone who underperformed last season then we would have to change nearly the whole squad.

Barton is more of a Roy Keane type midfielder, someone who can get up and down the pitch and grab the game by the scruff of the neck when he needs to, he's what most thought Parker would be when he came here, not the headless chicken he turned out to be.

My worry is that Barton will do more than "grab the game by the scruff of the neck" - no denying his passion for the game, but on that wavelength I can't deny it sometimes clouds his judgement, and as said before by far my biggest issue with the guy is well-known behaviour issues. And again I really don't think he is really any better than Parker.

Dyer must go now. How long is it gonna take people to realize what a waster he is? I'm not saying sell the whole squad. Personally i would rather we kept Parker, and got rid of Dyer and Emre and replaced them with two attacking midfielders who can score goals and create things. If you look at the top teams they all have midfielders who score goals. We rely so heavily on our strikers because we don't have midfielders who can score goals. When Bobby was manager we had Solano, Robert and Speed all scoring. We will get absolutely nowhere if we have to rely on our strikers all of the time.

Manuel Fernandes has to be made the #1 target IMO, he's a class player already and is only going to get better. Benfica are looking for around that £11m, but if Ashley is serious about looking to "revive a fallen giant"(or some bullshit like that), then he should be able to afford that, good players cost good money. And it would prove to be a bargain IMO, a classy DM that has proven he can handle the premiership. If we buy Barton then that tells me we're going to settle for mid table again, he's a nothing player. If HE was Portuguese we would never have heard of him.

Manuel Fernandes has to be made the #1 target IMO, he's a class player already and is only going to get better. Benfica are looking for around that £11m, but if Ashley is serious about looking to "revive a fallen giant"(or some bullshit like that), then he should be able to afford that, good players cost good money. And it would prove to be a bargain IMO, a classy DM that has proven he can handle the premiership. If we buy Barton then that tells me we're going to settle for mid table again, he's a nothing player. If HE was Portuguese we would never have heard of him.

:thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:

Tried to bring him up in the Nani thread but it got lost in the Toon Vs Spurs shite.

If we're getting anyone in from the portugese league it has to be Lucho Gonzalez imo. Way better player than Fernandes.

Could not agree more. However, I believe he's Porto's captain so I doubt they'd be willing to sell.

One is 21 and the other is 26, also one is alot more realistic than the other. I would pick Fernandes myself.

Fernandes also works in the EPL while the other guy is an unknown gamble.

One is 21 and the other is 26, also one is alot more realistic than the other. I would pick Fernandes myself.

Captains Porto ffs... over 30 caps for argentina... great technique with hell of a shot on him. Unknown gamble... :lol:

You never know, we're selling our captain.

Parker seems to want out, and it's not as if our future success is at all dependant on the likes of him staying. Not the case for Porto.

Captains Porto ffs... over 30 caps for argentina... great technique with hell of a shot on him. Unknown gamble... :lol:

Has he played in the EPL? No, thats what i meant  and he would be a gamble until we've seen him here.

Shevchenko & Veron, those two should emphasize my point beautifully  O0

Has he played in the EPL? No, thats what i meant  and he would be a gamble until we've seen him here.

Shevchenko & Veron, those two should emphasize my point beautifully  O0

Gamble yes, unknown definitely not.

The point here is, with class players, they're more likely to succeed than not. While people like to point out the likes of Shevchenko and Veron, they're part of the minority few world class stars that didnt impress here. For every one failure there's 2-3 success stories but no one ever brings them up. And we're not even talking about figures close to the 30m that each of these two cost.

To emphasize my point

Essien

Ballack

Ronaldo

Alonso

Mascherano

Tevez

Berbatov

Drogba

list goes on...

Didnt stop Man Utd from spending over 50m on Hargreaves, Anderson, and Nani. 3 'unknown' 'gambles' by your standards.

Guest skhwoody

Sad to see Parker go, but it seem inevitable, but the shock for once is we are actually making a profit on a player