Joey Barton completes move for £5.8m - Man City

Dokko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When all's said and done, he is our most talented player.

He's yet to show this for us at all. In fact he's up there was one of our least effective and talentless players.

For reasons of injury and misdemeanour, he has yet to have a run of games where he can build up his fitness. Yes, that is largely his fault and he has let the club down badly, but that doesn't make him a talentless player. Even in his short bursts of first team activity, we've seen that he can open up the opposition defence in a way that our other central midfielders can't.

Guest guinness_fiend

I don't mean to pee on anyone's parade here, but does anyone honestly think that, if we sell ANY players, Ashley will invest the money in new talent?  One of the stumbling blocks that prevented him from selling in the summer was our level of debt and chances are that any money made would be used to reduce the same.

Also, the way that some people are going on here, you'd think we had the pick of any player we want and that we have a huge squad.  "Ah, get rid of Harewood.  That Barton's s***.  Do we really need Simpson?"  Actually, yes, we do. We need all of them.

If the last six of so transfer windows have taught us anything, it's that we never get anywhere near the amount or calibre of players that we want/need.  There is nothing to suggest that this window will be any different.

Until we have the Manchester City millions to allow us to play real-life Fantasy Football, I vote that we stick with the squad that we have and try and bring in a few new (and cheap) faces if we can.  Selling anyone at this stage could be suicidal, especially given the length of the Championship season and how injury-prone our players are.

He's yet to show this for us at all. In fact he's up there was one of our least effective and talentless players.

I would agree that he's been a waste of time for us, I would have preferred it if we could get rid tbh, but even when playing badly he shows glimpses that he is streets ahead technically than the likes of Nolan. Whether he's ever going to produce that here is a different matter.

Guest Stephen927

We're managing okay without him at the moment, should try and sort out a loan deal for him until the end of the season. Get him back in the Premiership, back in the shop window.

I don't mean to pee on anyone's parade here, but does anyone honestly think that, if we sell ANY players, Ashley will invest the money in new talent?  One of the stumbling blocks that prevented him from selling in the summer was our level of debt and chances are that any money made would be used to reduce the same.

Also, the way that some people are going on here, you'd think we had the pick of any player we want and that we have a huge squad.  "Ah, get rid of Harewood.  That Barton's s***.  Do we really need Simpson?"  Actually, yes, we do. We need all of them.

If the last six of so transfer windows have taught us anything, it's that we never get anywhere near the amount or calibre of players that we want/need.  There is nothing to suggest that this window will be any different.

Until we have the Manchester City millions to allow us to play real-life Fantasy Football, I vote that we stick with the squad that we have and try and bring in a few new (and cheap) faces if we can.  Selling anyone at this stage could be suicidal, especially given the length of the Championship season and how injury-prone our players are.

I agree with you but with the likes of Barton it's a player we are playing stupid money out to which we can't play so surely it's better for the club to not be paying the wages even if the investment doesn't go straight back into the club ?

For reasons of injury and misdemeanour, he has yet to have a run of games where he can build up his fitness. Yes, that is largely his fault and he has let the club down badly, but that doesn't make him a talentless player. Even in his short bursts of first team activity, we've seen that he can open up the opposition defence in a way that our other central midfielders can't.

How many games in a row does a player need ? He played the end of last season and was terrible. If I remember correctly he managed a full pre season played 6 games for us at the start of this season and despite us doing well he was terrible. His passes went astray, he looked over weight and not up to it in the Championship. Barton looked like a good player at City but he's yet to play like that for us in the 38 games he's managed in 3 seasons at the club.

Guest schmuck

To be fair, he can pick a pass.

Sometimes, this season no so much.

tbf when he's played this season he's been playing with an injury which carries a 4 month layoff

tbf when he's played this season he's been playing with an injury which carries a 4 month layoff

Barton has a career built around excuses he had a decent season or maybe 2 at City & the odd good game for us. I cant see the day when he will outscore Nolan,create more goals than Guthrie or score more in open play than Jonas. He could if his ego would let takeover from Smith & play a limted game & be a decent PL player.

Don't think that's how it was, didn't he pick up a "minor" foot injury which kept him out for one game, he then returned for 1 sub appearance never to be seen again. He's a waste of money, space, time and effort.

Guest schmuck

Don't think that's how it was, didn't he pick up a "minor" foot injury which kept him out for one game, he then returned for 1 sub appearance never to be seen again.

It was, it had been bothering him all season, he wasn't happy with his performances and said it wasn't fair him keeping others out of the team and went in for an operation, there's some quotes about it somewhere from him and Hughton.

Barton and Guthrie are both central midfielders who have been forced to play wide to accomodate Nolan. For me Nolan's the worst of the three which is why we play rubbish football but he gets the goals.

I agree with this completely, footballs not as linear as goals scored and assists made, there's a glass ceiling as to how well we can play with Nolan in the team (not that that matters in this league).

There's three schools of thought on Barton:

1. Shit player, waste of space

2. Good player, waste of space

3. Good player, has something to offer

And with all the discussion on him over the years everyone has become pretty entrenched in their view and probably won't change, so I won't bother trying to convert anyone to my viewpoint but I'm definitely in the third camp.

Don't think that's how it was, didn't he pick up a "minor" foot injury which kept him out for one game, he then returned for 1 sub appearance never to be seen again.

It was, it had been bothering him all season, he wasn't happy with his performances and said it wasn't fair him keeping others out of the team and went in for an operation, there's some quotes about it somewhere from him and Hughton.

Barton and Guthrie are both central midfielders who have been forced to play wide to accomodate Nolan. For me Nolan's the worst of the three which is why we play rubbish football but he gets the goals.

I agree with this completely, footballs not as linear as goals scored and assists made, there's a glass ceiling as to how well we can play with Nolan in the team (not that that matters in this league).

There's three schools of thought on Barton:

1. s*** player, waste of space

2. Good player, waste of space

3. Good player, has something to offer

And with all the discussion on him over the years everyone has become pretty entrenched in their view and probably won't change, so I won't bother trying to convert anyone to my viewpoint but I'm definitely in the third camp.

See I just wonder about the first 2 seasons when he was noubt special. People say he has the best technique but at the end of the day it's what the bloke does on the pitch and for 3 seasons and god knows how many chances he hasn't done it for us. I myself think he was a good player but he's lost it now and is a waste of space.

Barton is set to return in the middle of next month. Looking forward to it.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/football_league/article6968038.ece

Chris Hughton, the Newcastle United manager, has confirmed that Joey Barton is to return from a long-term foot injury by the middle of next month. The controversial midfield player has not played for the Coca-Cola Championship leaders since his substitution against Plymouth Argyle in September, but his recovery is ahead of schedule. “Joey is very much part of my long-term plans,” Hughton said.