Joey Barton completes move for £5.8m - Man City

Dokko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest optimistic nit

Personally think he absolutely, 100% spot on with this comment!!! Especially regarding Fat Frank, useless bellend.....

aye.

He needs to shut his trap and keep his opinions to himself for the time being. His public image is shocking and I would have thought he'd keep his head down.

If ever the expression 'least said, soonest mended' were more appropriate... :rolleyes:

The level of stick he's going to get at the CoMS will be Gary Chuckle-esque. And he deserves it.  :nope:

Bearing in mind he flashed his arse once already to supporters, (I never saw it, and assuming it was deliberate), what effect could the entire City support screaming abuse at him have, up his game or lose it completely ala Cantona?

The level of stick he's going to get at the CoMS will be Gary Chuckle-esque. And he deserves it.  :nope:

Bearing in mind he flashed his arse once already to supporters, (I never saw it, and assuming it was deliberate), what effect could the entire City support screaming abuse at him have, up his game or lose it completely ala Cantona?

Unfortunately for Citeh fans they care more about him than he does about them, thats been the main problem he's had, and its allowed him to get away with blue murder throughout his career. He's took the living piss out of them, he can't continue to do that now in his career, because if he does, this is his tidemark as no club bigger than us will take him no matter how much of a talent he could possibly become. But i'm confident he knows this.

He needs to shut his trap and keep his opinions to himself for the time being. His public image is shocking and I would have thought he'd keep his head down.

If ever the expression 'least said, soonest mended' were more appropriate... :rolleyes:

I'd go along with that, it's a pity he didn't realise that he's got a fresh start in life and it might be a good idea to make the most of it.

First of all, not saying i agree with his sentiment.

But, if he's behaving himself on the training ground and doing the goods on the pitch, then he can say what he likes in the papers for all i am concerned. He hasn't broken any laws there, even though it is a bit boisterous.

We could do with some character.

But, if he's behaving himself on the training ground and doing the goods on the pitch, then he can say what he likes in the papers for all i am concerned. He hasn't broken any laws there, even though it is a bit boisterous.

I agree, but it's better to produce on the pitch before you go gobbing off in the press. He's done very little in his career in all honesty to be criticising others and the way he messed about trying to get 300K out of city/us was pure greed and hypocrisy.

Barton has qualities which could make him very successful or a major mistake for us. He reminds me of Bowyer but with better technique. Bowyer was supposed to be our 'driving, goalscoring midfielder' who gave 110%, flew into tackles and got into bother off the pitch and eventually on it. Barton is worryingly similar, though hopefully the circumstances (better manager etc) mean he'll fare better.

I agree, but it's better to produce on the pitch before you go gobbing off in the press. He's done very little in his career in all honesty to be criticising others and the way he messed about trying to get 300K out of city/us was pure greed and hypocrisy.

Barton has qualities which could make him very successful or a major mistake for us. He reminds me of Bowyer but with better technique. Bowyer was supposed to be our 'driving, goalscoring midfielder' who gave 110%, flew into tackles and got into bother off the pitch and eventually on it. Barton is worryingly similar, though hopefully the circumstances (better manager etc) mean he'll fare better.

I presume you mean they're alike because of their off field behavior because there are little similarities on it.

I worry that, despite the fact that he seems a reasonably intelligent bloke, he's accusing Pearce of precisely what he himself has been doing. If you want to be outspoken, fine, but you can't then complain about others doing the same. It seems that he likes to dish it out, but can't take it.

Unless he learns to be aware of other people's views, all this anger management stuff won't work. In his eyes, he's always going to be in the right.

• 4 months later...

http://www.messengernewspapers.co.uk/display.var.1845741.0.barton_set_for_summer_trial.php

Barton set for summer trial

SOCCER star Joey Barton will face his crown court trial for assault at the end of the present football season.

The former Manchester City midfielder is charged with occasioning actual bodily harm after its claimed he repeatedly punched French international Ousmane Dabo, 30, in the face during a row at City's Carrington training ground.

The 24-year-old, who now plays for Newcastle, appeared at Minshull Street Crown Court this morning after the case was unexpectedly brought forward by court officials.

Barton - dressed in black jeans, trainers and dark jacket - pleaded not guilty to the charge. Judge Leslie Hull allowed Barton unconditional bail during the brief three minute hearing.

Prosecution lawyers wanted the trial dealt with earlier than June but agreed to the summer hearing because of Barton's commitments as a professional footballer.

Former city manager Stuart Pearce and former City captain and Blues defender Sylvain Distin are expected to give evidence at the trial.

If convicted the £40,000-a-week footballer of Fox Bank Close, Widnes, Cheshire, faces a maximum five years in jail.

http://www.messengernewspapers.co.uk/display.var.1845741.0.barton_set_for_summer_trial.php

Barton set for summer trial

SOCCER star Joey Barton will face his crown court trial for assault at the end of the present football season.

The former Manchester City midfielder is charged with occasioning actual bodily harm after its claimed he repeatedly punched French international Ousmane Dabo, 30, in the face during a row at City's Carrington training ground.

The 24-year-old, who now plays for Newcastle, appeared at Minshull Street Crown Court this morning after the case was unexpectedly brought forward by court officials.

Barton - dressed in black jeans, trainers and dark jacket - pleaded not guilty to the charge. Judge Leslie Hull allowed Barton unconditional bail during the brief three minute hearing.

Prosecution lawyers wanted the trial dealt with earlier than June but agreed to the summer hearing because of Barton's commitments as a professional footballer.

Former city manager Stuart Pearce and former City captain and Blues defender Sylvain Distin are expected to give evidence at the trial.

If convicted the £40,000-a-week footballer of Fox Bank Close, Widnes, Cheshire, faces a maximum five years in jail.

I thought his trial began on Thursday?

Guest RodrigoPalacio

Realistically could he go to jail?  That would be utter shite if he did like.  Would we be due some sort of compensation of whatever?

Realistically could he go to jail?  That would be utter shite if he did like.  Would we be due some sort of compensation of whatever?

Theoretically, i think he could. But he won't.

And no, we would get no compensation, why would we?

There still seems to be this opinion that he can be great for us. I can only assume that the people saying this never really watched him play before, or accept that we are going to remain a mid table team.

There still seems to be this opinion that he can be great for us. I can only assume that the people saying this never really watched him play before, or accept that we are going to remain a mid table team.

Insurance?

Guest DazzaNufc1892

training as a lawyer and working for 1 of the biggest firms in manchester, i would tell you, when you go to minshull street, you are in trouble, if you go to the other crown court, then you tend not to go down, so in my opinion, this is being taken very seriously.

training as a lawyer and working for 1 of the biggest firms in manchester, i would tell you, when you go to minshull street, you are in trouble, if you go to the other crown court, then you tend not to go down, so in my opinion, this is being taken very seriously.

It's a high profile case which may also account for the location maybe?

Insurance?

Will we have taken out "Employee is a knobhead who attacks team mate cover"?

Guest DazzaNufc1892

It's a high profile case which may also account for the location maybe?

nah definitely not i'm afraid to say, i mean, usually high profile celebs go to the crown square, newer and usually a much higher profile court as it is brand new. Judges within minshull are generally seem to give much harder punishments. I believe recent celebs to go to the other crown were diouf, keane. With any look they move it to the other court

Guest Anders Rye

Off course we wont be paying Bartons wage if he went to prison, when we bought him, we knew he had a chance of going to prison, and im 99,9999% sure Mort put in an option in his contract that stated if he goes to prison he wont get nothing.