Definitely worth a bid I'd say - No new deal for Smith

Guest DavB93

Alan Smith is a GOOD hard working striker, no more, no less.

Right now we should be concentrating on defenders. However since it has been brought up i would suspect that Man Utd will be lucking somewhere in the region of 7m for smith. I believe we could get better for that, Nugent as an example.

This ones good, he's got Alan Smith doing decent and David bloody Nugent sounding even better :)

tbh I still think Nugent can be a decent Prem-level striker. He'll never be a big goalscorer but could be a good partner for someone. He's quite an intelligent player and that doesn't leave you overnight.

Would have been interesting to see how it panned out for him if he chose Sunderland where he would have got regular games and the confidence that comes with it. Might have fucked his career up choosing Pompey.

tbh I still think Nugent can be a decent Prem-level striker. He'll never be a big goalscorer but could be a good partner for someone. He's quite an intelligent player and that doesn't leave you overnight.

Would have been interesting to see how it panned out for him if he chose Sunderland where he would have got regular games and the confidence that comes with it. Might have fucked his career up choosing Pompey.

At least he showed he has some common sense though.

Liam O from the other thread (didn't want to bump up 2 in one day)

I think given a decent run in the team, he'll get us more than five goals. 

And anyway, you asked what he would give us that we didnt already have.  How many goals did, Parker, Butt, Dyer and Emre get for us last season from the centre of midfield?

Is that 5 goals throughout his 5 year contract or just one season, Liam, either way I'd bet against it  :p

Liam O from the other thread (didn't want to bump up 2 in one day)

I think given a decent run in the team, he'll get us more than five goals. 

And anyway, you asked what he would give us that we didnt already have.  How many goals did, Parker, Butt, Dyer and Emre get for us last season from the centre of midfield?

Is that 5 goals throughout his 5 year contract or just one season, Liam, either way I'd bet against it  :p

He hasn't had a decent run yet

;) He's shite like

Madras from the other thread, he wanted Smith Cloned !! :)

Quote from: Douga on August 04, 2007, 10:16:47 PM

so you would rather have 11 players with drive and desire rather than 11 with quality?

thote so

11 smiths or 11 ronaldos?

rather have 4 smiths in defence than 4 ronaldinhos..............what on earth is your point ?

afar talking about Titus Bramble ;)

I think he has the ability to go on to great things, and firmly believe if we let him go we would deeply regret it.

Lol what a knob :) Yeah I'm sure we are regretting every minute.

This Dougba chap was a genius but you guys were giving him hell:

Here's one from Spins on the other thread:

Quote from: firetotheworks on August 05, 2007, 12:38:30 PM

Quote from: Douga on August 05, 2007, 12:24:02 PM

MAny people moaned about lee bowyer for newcastle

he adds a lot more bite and spine to the team

i would say Alan Smith is a poor man's lee bowyer

Does not run as much and is not as box to box as bowyer

If theres one thing smith is, its a better and more effective player than Lee Bowyer.

Fact.

Hell I should be doing something more productive, I'm still on the clock for another 10 mins at least :)

I'm not a great Dyer fan, but Smith couldn't lace his boots. £6m ffs. The mackems got a better deal on Richardson and I mean that.

:smug:

This post from Parky's "I love Smith but now I've shut up because I was wrong again, just add it to the list" thread needs highlighting too: http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=44077.msg963891#msg963891

:lol:

Good striker, i like him and i like his agressive style of play, but it's only worth it if one of Martins or Owen goes, and i'd rather have either of them over Smith.

I'm going to nominate this one.

Aye, pretty bad like. Although the second half of the post is just about right (sort of, :blush: ).

Not as bad as when i said he'd score 15 goals a season if he played every game upfront.

some of Gemmil's posts in the smith thread... :lol:

still remember Allardyce smiling smugly after the carlisle friendly, when asked about selling Dyer and already having his replacement lined up, imagining himself as some transfer market genius for making such a terrible mistake.  :rolleyes:

I _may_ have made an embarassing post or two if we signed him right after leeds were relegated >_>

I will have commit the same mistake too. The truth is Alan Smith is actually quite prolific for Leeds at a young age with Mark Viduka as his partner then, never mind the quality of his goals. However, he seems to have lost his gloss over the years.

Then again, in recent years, England players are often over-rated. That partially led England to its demise I feel.