St James' Park

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

Is a fucking class name for a stadium, one with real history to it. Bloody hope Ashley doesn't rename it. Sports Soccer Arena etc.....

:coolsmiley:

Guest smoggeordie

Wouldn't matter. Well it would, but it'd still be St James'.

It'd be disgusting hearing a shit name like that though in the media etc and all the plastic fans calling it that etc.

I wouldn't mind if we had to raise some extra money by 'renaming' it. It'll still be known as St James' Park to most people I would imagine. It's not like with Arsenal where they were building a new stadium therefore there wasn't a name that had yet stuck to the stadium.

Guest tbelcher11

Wussy???  No way.  It's class. It's history.  It's everything a club should be about.  Not huge million dollar sponsors that want an advertisement. 

Wouldn't matter. Well it would, but it'd still be St James'.

It'd be disgusting hearing a shit name like that though in the media etc and all the plastic fans calling it that etc.

would it even take two hands to count the # of plastic geordies?  :tongue:

I can't see it - there would be riots in 99.99% of cases.

I can only think of one exception and that is if a Company called "Fortress" spent millions to have it renamed "Fortress - St. James."

sell the name if it brings in cash for quality players,we'll still call it St James' park.

just like i still sit in the gallowgate......i'd have to check last seasons ticket book to remember what it's now called.

It's should always be St James' - lets not sell out. It's our history. The whole likening SJP to a Cathedral is an uber-cliche, but it's as important to me as some church. You'd never get the Church (Catholic or Protestant selling out). You'll never see the Coca-Cola St Mary's Cathedral or the Pepsi Cathedral of St Nicholas - why, because it would be a disgusting insult to those who hold them and their beliefs dear. I hold NUFC dear to me and I would find any re-naming a disgusting, degrading insult to the NUFC cause.

If other clubs want to sell out, let them. It's easy for the new-stadium brigade because although they're not all of the cloned, bland, stuck on a retail park on the outskirts of wherever - they're soulless arenas devoid of tradition and history. In time, they will build that up, but when you finish a new stadium, it's easy to call it something like the Aldi Arena. With a stadium like SJP, which has had the same name for over 130 years - outdating even NUFC itself, it's so much harder because it's a landmark, stepped in history and memories - it's people's second home, they're attached to it, you can't go wiping that away for a few quid.

Aside from that, you hear the names of these places and they sound comical and fake. I find myself devaluing the relevant club, as if they've sold themselves like a cheap whore.