Shaun Wright-Phillips

WarrenBartonCentrePartin
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If we're aiming to play the 4-3-3 system then I'd be all for getting him in and selling Duff. Provided we've enough money after strengthening other positions.

He's gotten lost at Chelsea really, people forget how good he was at Man City I think. He'd be a vast upgrade on Dyer and Duff out wide.

Better than Dyer or Duff on the left? So is my great gran, and she's been dead for 16 years.

Not sure the point you're maing really, as I would have though improving the squad would be a positive.

He's arguably better than Milner as well, to be fair. Milner's very good, but I think he'll always lack the pace to be a truly terrifying winger.

If we're aiming to play the 4-3-3 system then I'd be all for getting him in and selling Duff. Provided we've enough money after strengthening other positions.

He's gotten lost at Chelsea really, people forget how good he was at Man City I think. He'd be a vast upgrade on Dyer and Duff out wide.

Better than Dyer or Duff on the left? So is my great gran, and she's been dead for 16 years.

Not sure the point you're maing really, as I would have though improving the squad would be a positive.

He's arguably better than Milner as well, to be fair. Milner's very good, but I think he'll always lack the pace to be a truly terrifying winger.

The point i was making was that being better than Dyer or Duff on the left was no big deal, we already have players who are that. As for being better than Milner, i haven't seen anything to indicate THAT, but let me guess, you've seen him play 79 times this season, so know that to be the case.

Better than any winger we currently have at the club tbh.

Not Milner. The highpoint of our season.

Him being the highpoint of our season, a season that was our worst points wise since we've been back in the Premiership really doesn't count for a lot.

The lad has hardly any pace which means he never going to be good enough for a top 4 side which is where we aim to be, he also doesn't have the ability on the ball that someone like Solano or Beckham did to make up for it, it hasn't worked out for SWP at Chelsea but he has the pace and penetration to make it at a top 4 club if used correctly.

The point i was making was that being better than Dyer or Duff on the left was no big deal, we already have players who are that. As for being better than Milner, i haven't seen anything to indicate THAT, but let me guess, you've seen him play 79 times this season, so know that to be the case.

I never said the left, I said out wide, which can be the right as well.

Seen plenty of Wright-Phillips yourself then or is that only relevant when I'm making judgements on a player, and not when you're doing so?

milner is nowhere near as good as SWP, nowhere near. agree with what Baggio has said, as usual. £10m seems like a pretty good price too. obviously i'd only support us getting him if he fits into a system, rather than just getting him for his name.

Seen plenty of Wright-Phillips yourself then or is that only relevant when I'm making judgements on a player, and not when you're doing so?

"I haven't seen anything to indicate THAT". Like i said.

Guest posadageordie

, if we didn't have Milner than aye, without doubt,

Milner is utter shite. Nice lad, works hard, but wingers have to have pace, a trick, beat the full back and put a cross in. Milner can do none of these things consistently and should be flogged to Wigan or Stoke immediately.

pace isnt everything.. helps to  have pace but not end of world if you dont have it.. milner can beat players without out pacing them... ( most the time )bit harsh on him there imo "posadageordie"

"I haven't seen anything to indicate THAT". Like i said.

Well that explains things fully thankfully.

Guest posadageordie

if stuck stick milner on the left

Where he has never produced anything in 4 years, including a loan spell at Swindon.

Milner is utter s****. Nice lad, works hard, but wingers have to have pace, a trick, beat the full back and put a cross in. Milner can do none of these things consistently and should be flogged to Wigan or Stoke immediately.

Figo hasn't had pace for the last 5 years, still best winger in the world in that period

Guest posadageordie

Milner is utter s****. Nice lad, works hard, but wingers have to have pace, a trick, beat the full back and put a cross in. Milner can do none of these things consistently and should be flogged to Wigan or Stoke immediately.

A fine point.

Just my opinion:

Milner is far better than SWP out wide.

SWP would be far more devastating in a Beardsley position off the main striker.

Personally think it's the opposite, reckon Milner would be better off playing through the middle due to his lack of pace.

Guest posadageordie

Figo hasn't had pace for the last 5 years, still best winger in the world in that period

Are you seriously comparing Figo to Milner?

And when did Figo last play as an out and out wide man?

Laughable.

Milner's a Championship player, it makes me goggle at the praise he get for....er....running up and down the line and trying. Admirable, but from a club who had Waddle on the wing while shite 25 years ago in div 2 it astounds me that people seriously watch Milner and say he's 'top class' or ' a quality winger'. He's like Lee Hendrie, game, hard working but poor. People like him because he's young and they somehow think that in 5 years he's going to turn into Garrincha. He's not...he's just an average/below par Prem footballer. Nowt more, nowt less.

Are you seriously comparing Figo to Milner?

And when did Figo last play as an out and out wide man?

Laughable.

Milner's a Championship player, it makes me goggle at the praise he get for....er....running up and down the line and trying. Admirable, but from a club who had Waddle on the wing while shite 25 years ago in div 2 it astounds me that people seriously watch Milner and say he's 'top class' or ' a quality winger'. He's like Lee Hendrie, game, hard working but poor. People like him because he's young and they somehow think that in 5 years he's going to turn into Garrincha. He's not...he's just an average/below par Prem footballer. Nowt more, nowt less.

And SWP? Rarely able to get past his man, crosses like Dyer. He's fucking great.

Just my opinion:

Milner is far better than SWP out wide.

SWP would be far more devastating in a Beardsley position off the main striker.

Personally think it's the opposite, reckon Milner would be better off playing through the middle due to his lack of pace.

Milner can't finish. Rules him out of the secondary striker role IMO.

If both Milner and Shaun Wright-Phillips were playing at their best, then SWP would probably be the better player. However, i get the feeling that we'll see more of Milner playing well consitently, whereas Wright-Phillips will come in fits and spurts, what with his career being damaged so significantly. He was arguably England's best attacking prospect at City, certainly the brightest new midfield hope, but the move to Chelsea has lessened any chance of a blinding career, which he could so easily have had.

He's still young, but it's a £6-10m gamble that just isn't worth it for me, and plus it's not exactly a problem area.

Look deeper into Chelsea's squad and get Geremi, who can play in one of our problem areas, and two of our other areas that need strengthening. He's great at right-back, while good on the wing and can also play a defensive midfield role. And he'd cost a lot less than Wright-Phillips.