Martins has a clause as well!!!

KaKa

Nasty shock of Martins' buyout clause puts Allardyce revolution on back foot

The Newcastle manager is unhappy that both the Nigerian and Michael Owen can leave for a set fee, reports Jason Burt

Published: 21 June 2007

Sam Allardyce faces the prospect of losing both of Newcastle United's first-choice strikers before the start of next season after it emerged that Obafemi Martins, like Michael Owen, has a buyout clause in his contract at St James' Park.

The existence of the agreement in Martins' contract - the Nigerian is available to any club willing to pay £13m for his services - has infuriated Allardyce, who was unaware of the clause when he moved to the North-east. That anger has been heightened by the fact that it has become public knowledge that Owen can leave if a bid of £9m is lodged for the England forward, following Newcastle's failure to qualify for Europe next season.

Newcastle do not know whether or not Owen wants to stay but are acutely aware that Manchester United and Arsenal - should they sell Thierry Henry to Barcelona - may well come calling before the transfer window closes. Newcastle also fear that the indications they have so far received from Owen would suggest that he wants to leave.

Allardyce wants to keep both Owen and Martins. However, the former is causing particular concern. Allardyce has signed Mark Viduka on a free transfer from Middlesbrough, but wants Owen and Martins to work alongside the Australian striker rather than be replaced by him.

Martins is also a worry for Allardyce. After joining Newcastle from Internazionale a year ago, he apparently wants to return to Italy and believes that a club, thought to be Juventus, is willing to trigger his buyout clause. Allardyce is also concerned at the chaotic nature of Martins' private life, which is in disarray with reports claiming yesterday that a car carrying the 22-year-old striker was riddled with bullets in the Nigerian city of Lagos.

That incident happened on Monday night, 48 hours after Martins had helped Nigeria to edge closer to January's African Nations Cup finals by playing in the 3-1 win over Niger in Niamey. After the match Martins also spoke about his decision to be unavailable for Newcastle's final match of the season at Watford.

He said: "I signed a contract with Newcastle and I am happy at the club, and the way the fans supported me even when I wasn't scoring was great. If I am fully fit there is no way I will back out from playing any game for Newcastle. But it would not be right for me to wear the shirt and play when I know that I will not be giving my best."

However, it is understood that Martins is agitating for a move, especially as he did not receive a substantial signing-on fee for joining Newcastle and because he has fallen out with the agents who previously represented him.

Newcastle are aware of the upheaval in the striker's circumstances and have also said they will renegotiate Martins' contract and offer him a pay rise if he is willing to commit himself to the club and put his life in order.

Allardyce wants to keep Martins and is as exasperated that he has a release clause in his contract as he is that Owen has a similar addendum in his deal. Newcastle are undergoing a major overhaul of their squad with Allardyce having released a number of defenders while selling Scott Parker, the club captain, to West Ham United for £7m.

Allardyce has also made it plain that he regards a new defence as his priority. He intends to retain only Steven Taylor - although he may keep the full-back Stephen Carr if he can prove his fitness and appetite for the new campaign - having already dispensed with many experienced defenders, including Titus Bramble, Craig Moore and Oguchi Onyewu.

Newcastle have been offered West Ham's Anton Ferdinand and the West Bromwich Albion captain Curtis Davies, who were both targets for Allardyce's predecessor, Glenn Roeder. But, having missed out on Talal Ben Haim, the Bolton Wanderers defender who was out of contract and who has joined Chelsea, they are looking for more experienced players such as the Czech Republic international David Rozehnal, who plays for Paris St- Germain and is available for around £3m.

Allardyce has already signed Joey Barton for £5.8m from Manchester City - including covering the midfielder's £300,000 loyalty bonus - having sold Parker. He is also toying with the idea of offloading Kieron Dyer, whom he regards as unreliable and who has attracted interest from Tottenham Hotspur, and Emre Belozoglu.

Newcastle are also interested in buying the Ghanaian midfielder Derek Boateng from the Israeli club Beitar Jerusalem.

A complication for Allardyce is the takeover of the club by the billionaire businessman Mike Ashley. Although the manager's position would appear safe, it is unclear what budget he will receive should the club's ownership change hands.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/premiership/article2686730.ece

Guest graemeh72

I suspect that the change of power is going to unearth a few more surprises yet ....

its tin pot stuff it really is

If it was a clause for the same price we paid for him or less i would be angry. I tell you what though, if we got £22m in for him and Owen i wouldn't lose to much sleep over it.

That article also mentions offloading Dyer and Emre. I have said many times over the last few months i would definitely sell them for the right price. This article could be "way off the mark", but if its bang on i wouldn't be too unhappy. I like Martins but i think we could get someone more reliable for that money.

Freddy Shepherd with these fucking clauses though

I guess we should just be grateful that we have a new owner who is in a position to fire the chairman. I wonder if this is all beign revealed by the person who was recently hired to look through all of the clubs dealings.

As for Martins ... well let's just say the random shooting is beginning to make more sense. If he has indeed fallen out with his previous agents then I will not be surprised if they are the ones after him!

So we buy a dead expensive player with a clause letting him leave for nearly half the price and a young player with a clause letting him leave for just £3m more if he does well.

Excellent work.

If it's true then it's disgraceful.

Have to say though that article contains a lot of unsubstantiated claims and blatant conjecture. Allardyce has already "dispensed with many experienced defenders including Bramble, Gooch and Moore"? Actually that's the lot, three. Very lazy journalist.

I suspect his comments about Dyer and Emre are just calculated guesses.

I think i'm gonna have a brain overload with all of this stuff going on at the club at the minute. We've always been in the news, but the amounts of potential changes/things going on at the minute are madness even for our standards.

The Newcastle manager is unhappy that both the Nigerian and Michael Owen can leave for a set fee, reports Jason Burt

Sam Allardyce faces the prospect of losing both of Newcastle United's first-choice strikers before the start of next season after it emerged that Obafemi Martins, like Michael Owen, has a buyout clause in his contract at St James' Park.

The existence of the agreement in Martins' contract - the Nigerian is available to any club willing to pay £13m for his services - has infuriated Allardyce, who was unaware of the clause when he moved to the North-east. That anger has been heightened by the fact that it has become public knowledge that Owen can leave if a bid of £9m is lodged for the England forward, following Newcastle's failure to qualify for Europe next season.

Newcastle do not know whether or not Owen wants to stay but are acutely aware that Manchester United and Arsenal - should they sell Thierry Henry to Barcelona - may well come calling before the transfer window closes. Newcastle also fear that the indications they have so far received from Owen would suggest that he wants to leave.

If he is so pissed off that the Owen clause went public, Who the hell told the media about Martins' clause. They will be in the shit whoever it is.

Guest fraser

If he is so pissed off that the Owen clause went public, Who the hell told the media about Martins' clause. They will be in the s*** whoever it is.

The club might have leaked this if they want rid. As somebody has said £13m isn't bad for Martins (who Allardyce may not want anyway).

If he is so pissed off that the Owen clause went public, Who the hell told the media about Martins' clause. They will be in the s*** whoever it is.

The club might have leaked this if they want rid. As somebody has said £13m isn't bad for Martins (who Allardyce may not want anyway).

Good thinking 99.

All I know is this had better get sorted out soon. If I were in Ashley or Allardyce's shoes, I would sit both Owen and Martins down and offer them contract extensions with no release clauses and I would do it now. If they aren't willing to commit, then I would start looking for replacements.

The last thing we need is for both our top strikers to be grabbed near the end of the transfer window without us having any say in it. Their is a chance that our season could be in ruins if these two aren't sorted out in a timely manner.

I wouldn't want to lose either player (let alone both) but if that's going to happen, I would rather it happens now, so we can get new strikers in and look to the future. With all this uncertainty, my optimism is waning.

better to get rid asap.

Before some mafia hitman takes him out midseason.

13m is not a bad deal for nufc.

Not really the point though is it?

The fact is it shouldn't have been in there in the first fucking place.

Is it too much trouble to sign a player without shafting ourselves these days?

Well its what happens when a struggling club with a lifeless, characterless manager, and his fat idiotic Chairman go try and bring in the big stars.

One of Crumpy's famous 'papering over the cracks' comments coming back to haunt us, again.

Not on though imo, we should be kicking up a huge fuss about this forcing Ashley's hand early doors.

£13m is far more than Martins is worth.

Lets hope this particular clause is activated. He'll not be worth a limp wank in 2 years time.

I can't understand why ANY Club would negotiate a get out clause especially one that is for much less than he was pUrchased for. (In Owens case the clause is appalling)

I think buy-out clauses are fairly common, aren't they?

The only problem with the Owen one was that the player was unwilling to join us, and the clause was for less than we paid for him - making it likely that it would be invoked, without providing us with the funds for a replacement.

We really can't be that stupid really..... can we? I am going to choose not to believe these rumours and put it down to people making things up. I woulden't be shocked at all if both Owen and Martins are still here at the start of next season and this proves to be nothing more than made up (by mackems) hype.