Ashley to "stun the football world" with big signings

NSG

I'll probably get slated for this by the 'patient, sensible' crowd, but I believe we need a big signing. Not a trophy signing, but a player who we know will walk into the side and improve us, like when we signed Woodgate but preferably someone not so injury prone. Those sorts of players make a difference in tight games, whether it's a centre back who dominates a dangerous forward, a creative player pulling all the strings or a forward who takes a half-chance and wins the game. Those sorts of players can be worth quite a few points over the course of a season.

For all Viduka has just had a good season, he's still lazy and injury-prone. He could go either way for us. Barton brings a lot of baggage and like Parker he might not turn out to be as good a player as we think he is. He could also go either way. Rozehnal is totally unproven and might not cut it. He could go either way. Geremi is the only one I'm very happy about, but even he hasn't had regular football for a few years. All four of our signings could be successes or they could flop, they're all cheap because there are doubts about them all.

In central defence Taylor is our only player proven to cut it at this level who doesn't get injured every other week. At left back there isn't anyone, though perhaps Baba can provide cover. In my view we need two new centre backs, because I don't want Ramage anywhere near the first team.

However, we could get away with signing just one centre back (Beye?) and then going for Heinze. A little ambitious perhaps, but his future at Man Utd isn't certain and the big foreign clubs seem to have turned their attention towards other targets (Barca - Abidal, Real - Chivu). Man Utd would also much prefer selling him to us than to Liverpool. Attracting the player would be difficult, but if his options in Spain run out and a place in the Man Utd team isn't guaranteed then it's not impossible. He has the sort of versatility Big Sam is looking for.

I'll probably get slated for this by the 'patient, sensible' crowd, but I believe we need a big signing. Not a trophy signing, but a player who we know will walk into the side and improve us.

For all Viduka has just had a good season, he's still lazy and injury-prone. Barton brings a lot of baggage and like Parker he might not turn out to be as good a player as we think he is. Rozehnal is totally unproven and might not cut it. Geremi is the only one I'm very happy about, but even he hasn't had regular football for a few years.

In central defence Taylor is our only player proven to cut it at this level who doesn't get injured every other week. At left back there isn't anyone, though perhaps Baba can provide cover. In my view we need two new centre backs, because I don't want Ramage anywhere near the first team.

However, we could get away with signing just one centre back (Beye?) and then going for Heinze. A little ambitious perhaps, but his future at Man Utd isn't certain and the big foreign clubs seem to have turned their attention towards other targets (Barca - Malouda, Real - Chivu). Man Utd would also much prefer selling him to us than to Liverpool. Attracting the player would be difficult, but if his options in Spain run out and a place in the Man Utd team isn't guaranteed then it's not impossible. He has the sort of versatility Big Sam is looking for.

I'm in agreement, we need some very good talent to bring us up to scratch.

I'd like to see us bring in a Tevez for £25m, but that looks unlikely (him or that kind of player or money spent) so instead i'd like to see us go crazy in defense. Wayne Bridge or Heinze, plus a support LB, Sol Campbell & either Luisao or Naldo to finish off out CB options with Beye as a minimum for RB, i'd like to see us aim higher and have Geremi as backup for that slot.

None of that is in the realms of crazyness, it could be done, and it would be nice to go a season with a reliable defense pull us out of the shit when needed, and shake the tag we've carried for ten years since the KK era.

Build from the back, works so well, history proves it.

Don't think heinze is such a bad shout fergie is reluctant to let him go to liverpool as they provide direct competition for united we may be able to nip in ala' duff, I also reckon hes a very decent versatile player CB/LB we all know Sam is fond of his versatility, hes  a bloody phsyco  and all he'll certinaly add a bit of grit to the team.

Heinze would be a typical Big Sam signing, just the type he needed a bigger club to go for. A versatile experienced world class player who becomes available because his career has gone slightly off the rails.

We'd have a real job on our hands getting him here, but one by one the big clubs in Europe are going for other targets.

For me he could be our big summer signing, someone who walks straight into our team and potentially takes the whole defence to another level as well as improving the whole left hand side too, because at his best he's a hell of a player.

I see that Sven is getting £50m and has stated that he needs 10 new players. He will be in the market for strikers.

I agree with ohmelads, the current signings whilst good, are not going to set the squad on fire. We need further strength at the back and in the middle from world class players.

Heinze is a good shout but considering his potential other suitors, we might have to go above the £5m mark (plus huge wages) to bring him in, which just isn't worth it for someone at his age and with his recent injury trouble.

We could get Bridge for less, and i'd consider that a top, top signing. If we were to sign Bridge - that'd be the signing of the summer for us, regardless of who else we might bring in.

Still reckon we should punt for Campbell, test the water with a £3m bid or something. If Pompey ask for anything higher than £4m, then forget it. I know, it's still a lot of money for a 32-year-old, but he's got unadulterated quality, he's mean, and would bring on the Taylors and Rozehnals already at the club. Plus, considering he already is still playing so well, there's a chance he can enjoy some of his best years of his career here, given Sam's track record.

And if we'd get Beye aswell, that'd be another option for centre-back, yet offering a more suitable right sided defender than Nobby or Geremi. Beye, Campbell and Bridge for around the £10m mark would be excellent business. Reserve these 'huger funds for massive signings' for January, when we can review the squad and see where we need to make this top signing...

Those three signings would leave our defense offering these options:

RB - Beye, Geremi, Solano, (Carr)

CB - Campbell, Taylor, Rozehnal, Beye, Ramage

LB - Bridge, Babayaro

(Basically just repeating what i said in the 'who would you sign now' thread)

Bridge would be my first choice but I also think he's very unrealistic. He knows that another good season could see him oust Ashley Cole for both Chelsea and England, he knows he's becoming a lot more popular with the Chelsea fans than Cole. Thinking about it, we haven't got a chance.

Heinze's injuries would be a worry, but so would Bridge or Campbell. Heinze is 29 and because of the type of full back he is, I think he could play until 34 or beyond, espescially under Allardyce. I think he's a similar style of left back to the great Maldini. And even if he does start to lose his pace/stamina, we can move him into central defence where he has played many times for Argentina.

I'd be prepared to take a gamble on Heinze at £5M and big wages because I think he vcould easily have 5 years left in the game. There's no shame in being dropped from the Man Utd team and it's true he's made a few high profile mistakes and lacked a bit of sharpness coming back from injury, but just 12 months ago he was one of the most popular players at Old Trafford.

How much will Beye and Bridge cost us? 2m + 8m?

I'd expect less for Bridge. Chelsea were prepared for £5m bids last season, so i#d expect £6m would get us talking if Chelsea wanted to sell. If Chelsea don't then it doesn't matter how much we bid really.

Guest ryunufc

wayne bridge is one player i really really want us to sign since the first time he was linked four years ago. but ohmelads has a very good point, he only needs a bit more time at chelsea to be first choice for england and IMO they should not sell him (unless arnesen/ roman wants to bring in royston drenthe and jose is told to accomodate him).

For all Viduka has just had a good season, he's still lazy and injury-prone. He could go either way for us. Barton brings a lot of baggage and like Parker he might not turn out to be as good a player as we think he is. He could also go either way. Rozehnal is totally unproven and might not cut it. He could go either way. Geremi is the only one I'm very happy about, but even he hasn't had regular football for a few years. All four of our signings could be successes or they could flop, they're all cheap because there are doubts about them all.

Couldnt say it better myself.

We still need at least 2 quality, team improving signings!

People are getting carried away IMO.

Do you not remember our position last season?

Yup, and I also remember the 2001/02 season where we finished top four after finishing 11th the season before.

Outside the current top 4 the rest of the league is poorer now than it was then, so we should be looking at signings to get us towards the top 4. There are plenty of players who would be open to the challenge of one year without European football for decent wages and playing for the Toon.

Bridge and Gudjonnson are 2 of these, Deco is a possibility if Barca want to sell him (none of the big 4 will be in for him I reckon)

Ashley's net worth is comparable to Randy Lerner's, in that he's a low-ball billionare compared to Roman. I'm a expecting a similar outlay, and Sam is going to have to wheel & deal.

I´d hardly call $4 billion low-ball, nor is it really comparable to Lerners personal fortune of $1.6 billion tbh.

I really do not see what our league position last season, has got to do with anything!!

Things have changed SO much since then.

It is fairly irrelevant, don't you think?

I really do not see what our league position last season, has got to do with anything!!

Things have changed SO much since then.

It is fairly irrelevant, don't you think?

No not really no.

Sam is doing the things that we have needed for so long, building a squad. Yet everyone is having a go at him and his signings already.

Best fans in the world my fucking arse.