Other clubs' transfer deadline day discussion

GeordieDazzler

Gordon is a better player at the minute than Foster, Fosters had one good season in the Premiership and wouldn't get in the England team - Gordons the best British keeper going with years of experience and he's the same age as Foster.

Bale's had one half decent season in the Chamionship - no contest.

Gordon is a better player at the minute than Foster, Fosters had one good season in the Premiership and wouldn't get in the England team - Gordons the best British keeper going with years of experience and he's the same age as Foster.

Gordon has looked very good in Scotland.

Barry Ferguson looked world class in Scotland.

Even Boumsong looked like a competent defender in Scotland.

They've certainly got themselves a good keeper either way, but still paid a daft fortune for a player in the last year of his contract.

They've certainly got themselves a good keeper either way, but still paid a daft fortune for a player in the last year of his contract.

It's a bit different for goalkeepers and outfield players making the step up from a lower quality league. There's a much bigger risk with an outfield player imo. I'm confident that Gordon will be an excellent keeper even if they have paid a bit too much.

It's a bit different for goalkeepers and outfield players making the step up from a lower quality league. There's a much bigger risk with an outfield player imo. I'm confident that Gordon will be an excellent keeper even if they have paid a bit too much.

Maybe so, but when you've got 3rd rate strikers at you most games and only have to step up when on NT duty or for 6 games a season its a lot different to facing world class or even just very good EPL players every game.

He's a good keeper, i just think the price tag is mental, and he's nowhere near the quality some people are making out. I'd say there are a good 5-6 keepers in the league better than him, but he's young, and he'll get better and probably move on to a bigger club by this time next year if these people hyping him so much are right.

I think Arsenal should of went for him, but the price again no one would pay unless you are seriously desperate.

TBF Boumsong looked decent his first half season here.

Not he didn't.

He got skinned by a part timer in his debut and never got any better.

Not he didn't.

You've got a rather selective memory. We had a number on these boards nominating him for captain. While he wasn't worth anything close to 8m. He was decent.

Not he didn't.

You've got a rather selective memory. We had a number on these boards nominating him for captain. While he wasn't worth anything close to 8m. He was decent.

Its spot on cheers mate.  :thup:

He was shit from the off and made lots of errors which people (including myself as i wanted to believe) brushed off as teething problems. When it then dawned on us we've been mugged and the stands stopped shouting 'boom' every time the cunt went near the ball he became even worse as he knew he'd be found out by just about everyone. He even started making Titus Bramble look good.

Well, from what I've seen of him (not much, tbh) he is better than what we have, but I can't agree that he's one of the top five in the world.  He's been playing against SPL strikers his whole career (Other than Internationals for Scotland), and while that doesn't mean he isn't world class, he's still got to face better strikers nearly every week now.

£7M upfront (BBC) is unbelieveable for 1 person ( but I can't believe many fees for people just because they can kick a ball (can you tell I've become disillusioned with the game?)) , just because they can throw their body in the way of a moving ball (  :tongue: ) let alone it rising to £9M. 

None of us really know if he's 'a good keeper' and nothing will be certain till he plays a season in the PL.

£9m is a fuck load of money for a keeper.

Basically I agree with this.  He will be away at the end of the season anyway once we've gone down.

Well, from what I've seen of him (not much, tbh) he is better than what we have, but I can't agree that he's one of the top five in the world.  He's been playing against SPL strikers his whole career (Other than Internationals for Scotland), and while that doesn't mean he isn't world class, he's still got to face better strikers nearly every week now.

£7M upfront (BBC) is unbelieveable for 1 person ( but I can't believe many fees for people just because they can kick a ball (can you tell I've become disillusioned with the game?)) , just because they can throw their body in the way of a moving ball (  :tongue: ) let alone it rising to £9M. 

None of us really know if he's 'a good keeper' and nothing will be certain till he plays a season in the PL.

£9m is a f*** load of money for a keeper.

Basically I agree with this.  He will be away at the end of the season anyway once we've gone down.

Isn't he like one of the most expensive goalkeeper transfers ever? Prem record isn't it?

Isn't he like one of the most expensive goalkeeper transfers ever? Prem record isn't it?

When fully paid up it will be the Premiership record.  I believe Barthez currently is at around £8.5M

When fully paid up it will be the Premiership record.  I believe Barthez currently is at around £8.5M

I don't think you are going down.

I don't think you are going down.

Agree.

Derby, Wigan are much worse. I think several teams could be dragged into the other spot. Reckon you will stay up SAFC.

£9m is a fuck load of money for a keeper.

Who goes down will depend on who invests in the best way in January imo. For those struggling, which incidentally I think Sunderland will, the key to their survival will be investment in Jan.

That might keep you up.