Other clubs' transfer deadline day discussion

GeordieDazzler

Well if he does ill change my opinion, but if we put together a list of the top 20 managers in WORLD football, would he be in it?

He'd be in mine.  That was a bloody awful team he inherited at Villa.  To turn it around for a top half finish is quality work. 

It's a shame they finished in the bottom half then. O'neill's massively overrated, compare his record  with someone like Sven and it shows him up abit.

Looky here...this makes it 4 goalkeepers we're buying this week. Scott Carson, Carlo Cudicini, Marco Amelia and...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/6932931.stm

Manchester City have joined Aston Villa and Sunderland in expressing an interest in £9m-rated Hearts goalkeeper, BBC Sport understands.

No thanks. :hmm:

edit: Just had a wee look at the SMB to see their reaction...apparently the BBC radio team covering a Hearts Match say we've had a bid accepted. ???

Worth every penny. Best British keeper and will only get better.

Is he really that good? surely a team like Arsenal would badly want him? Also if the lad has sense he wont join Sunderland, although it looks like he will.

From what I've seen i'd say yes. So would most of jockland.

You could say the SPL is piss poor but he's performed against France, Italy and Barca.

Aye but one of the best in the game? what exactly has he achieved? a good spell at Leicester, then he went to a shit league to manage the best team in it and won alot of silverware. Then he went to Villa and were did they finish last season? To say he is one of the best in world football is wrong on so many levels.

he didnt go to a shit league to manage the best team in it, he went to a team that had seen its moneyed neighbour win everything year on year, and with practically no money to spend, turned it around.

And who said anything about world football or top 20 in the world?

And as for trophy-in-the-cabinet achievements, a lot more than most other managers managing in the PL

Well if he does ill change my opinion, but if we put together a list of the top 20 managers in WORLD football, would he be in it?

He'd be in mine.  That was a bloody awful team he inherited at Villa.  To turn it around for a top half finish is quality work. 

It's a shame they finished in the bottom half then. O'neill's massively overrated, compare his record  with someone like Sven and it shows him up abit.

He performed a miracle to keep us up - dropped into the job a few weeks before the season, with a shit squad, with the takeover not gone through (and which didn't go through until after the window closed) so not much chance to get players in, forced to use out of contract players to boost numbers, forced to borrow Crystal Palace's third choice keeper because we didn't have a fit one at the club, and to finish 11th in a season where the club went through total change off the pitch.

Incidentally, he did the above starting the season with an 11 match unbeaten run (the last team in any division to lose a game) and finishing it with a nine match unbeaten run, going through a bad patch in the middle of the season when lack of squad depth started to bite.

If we'd have had a decent striker at the start of the season and a bit more squad depth, and won just a few of the many matches we drew which we should have won (West Ham away, Newcastle away, for example), he might well have got us into Europe.

But no, apparently a bottom half of the table finish was a bad result, and shows he is a shit manager doesnt it?

Some people, I don't know ....

Oh and incidentally, bottom half finishes ... hmmm, glass houses and whatnot!

Is he any good on crosses?

His only weaknesses are he doesnt come off his line for crosses enough but when he does he deals with them, and his kicking isnt world class but it's not bad.

I think he stays on his line because he believes he will make the save and 9 times out of 10 he does, look at his saves from the 05-06 season on youtube, he makes saves other keepers can't get to.

Aye but one of the best in the game? what exactly has he achieved? a good spell at Leicester, then he went to a s*** league to manage the best team in it and won alot of silverware. Then he went to Villa and were did they finish last season? To say he is one of the best in world football is wrong on so many levels.

he didnt go to a s*** league to manage the best team in it, he went to a team that had seen its moneyed neighbour win everything year on year, and with practically no money to spend, turned it around.

And who said anything about world football or top 20 in the world?

And as for trophy-in-the-cabinet achievements, a lot more than most other managers managing in the PL

On O'Neill in Celtic.

He didn't have nowt to spend. He consistently outspent the Rangers manager, massively. It is Alex McLeish who had nothing to spend yet keep Rangers on a par with Celtic in terms of silverware.

Yes, what could possibly attract Jaaskelainen to a club like Villa ..... the chance to work with one of the best managers in the game, talented footballers alongside him. Perhaps we'll take him to the trophy room and show him the history of the club, where maybe he'll notice the European Cup, seven league titles and seven FA Cups.

:lol: In a list of how many?

MON isn't one of the best managers in the game at the moment? Hmmm.

:lol: No, he really isn't.

Guest unrealterrorist

Is he any good on crosses?

He'll be nailed to one if they're bottom 3 at Xmas.  :lol:

mackems.gif and Arsenal will buy him for 4 million

He performed a miracle to keep us up - dropped into the job a few weeks before the season, with a s*** squad, with the takeover not gone through (and which didn't go through until after the window closed) so not much chance to get players in, forced to use out of contract players to boost numbers, forced to borrow Crystal Palace's third choice keeper because we didn't have a fit one at the club, and to finish 11th in a season where the club went through total change off the pitch.

Incidentally, he did the above starting the season with an 11 match unbeaten run (the last team in any division to lose a game) and finishing it with a nine match unbeaten run, going through a bad patch in the middle of the season when lack of squad depth started to bite.

If we'd have had a decent striker at the start of the season and a bit more squad depth, and won just a few of the many matches we drew which we should have won (West Ham away, Newcastle away, for example), he might well have got us into Europe.

But no, apparently a bottom half of the table finish was a bad result, and shows he is a s*** manager doesnt it?

Some people, I don't know ....

Oh and incidentally, bottom half finishes ... hmmm, glass houses and whatnot!

Honestly, some people around here forget how shit we were.  11th, 10th, whatever 4G, he did a job getting them there

considering they were that close to relegation the season before.  MON is quality and many wanted him for our club.  I was

gutted when he went to Villa and we ended up with Rodent. 

Gordon's fairly young as well, I don't know about £9m, but there don't seem to be a lot of other options.  I'd be surprised if he went to the mackems, considering how bad City's keeper situation is, and with Villa in as well.

Fancy a bargain?  :shifty:

5Live report City have put 9 players on the transfer list - 3 of them can go for nowt.

SSN report Danny Mills, Ousmane Dabo, and Paul Dickov go. I'd assume these are the 3 freebies.

And...Georgios Samaras, Ishmael Miller, and Darius Vassell also named. Didn't hear the report personally but I would guess that the other 3 are Matt Mills, Dietmar Hamann, and Kasper Schmiechel.

EDIT: Manchester Evening News report this now too. 9th player is not Hamann (!!?!??!? He's fucking wank.) but reserve teamer Mark Laird

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1012/1012985_city_clearout.html