Other clubs' transfer deadline day discussion

GeordieDazzler

Man City being linked with a £10m bid for Adriano and Villa looking at Zat Knight.

There can only be one or two explanations for this. West Brom don't want to sell Davies for cash alone as Luton get a third of it. They've asked for Cahill in part exchange.

So we get Davies, Laursen, Mellberg and Knight as our CBs, with Cahill going to Albion (although he could also just be going there on loan).

Looked at that way, it isn't too bad. The other interpretation is that we'll have Laursen, Mellberg, Cahill and Knight as our CBs, which isn't actually that bad a line up.

Either way, Knight is fourth choice CB, and is probably about as good a player as you could get to be fourth choice.

The fact he is Fulham's skipper and a regular starter and opting for the bench is odd, but then again he's from Solihull and a Villa supporter, which may explain it. Oh, and he actually scored for us on Saturday, bizarrely enough.

WBA want £15m, that's what is putting everyone off of the idea.  Spurs went up to £9m and I think that was too much tbh.

WBA want £15m, that's what is putting everyone off of the idea.  Spurs went up to £9m and I think that was too much tbh.

Not what local journos are telling people I know (ITKs if you like), their story is that they want a package worth 10m-ish, and the problem is they want a player in exchange.

I'd be happy to pay 8 or 9 (lets be honest, fees have gone mental), but no more.

Liverpool have tabled a bid of £13.5million for Real Madrid striker Julio Baptista, according to Spanish newspaper Marca.

Insanity.

Not sure why Liverpool need another player for midfield/strikers:

Strikers: Torres, Voronin, Kuyt, Crouch,Babel

Midfielders: Sissoko,Gerrard,Alonso,Pennant,Gonzalez,Riise,Mascherano,Leto,Leivia,Kewell, Benayoun

seems like ample of both to me.

Liverpool have tabled a bid of £13.5million for Real Madrid striker Julio Baptista, according to Spanish newspaper Marca.

Insanity.

Midfielders: Sissoko,Gerrard,Alonso,Pennant,Gonzalez,Riise,Mascherano,Leto,Leivia,Kewell, Benayoun

Benny Benitez is really overdoing it.

Guest Rushian

Insanity.

Nobody is taking it seriously on Liverpool sites. The Spanish press have a habit of inventing bids.

Insanity.

Gonzalez joines Betis this summer. LOLZ!

£22M on Reo-Coker, Young and Knight.

9.65 on Ashley Young is money superbly well spent, as you'd realise if you'd seen his form at the end of last season, at the U21 championships and the start of this season.

Also, I'd point out that NRC has had an excellent start to the season, too. 8m for the England U21 captain isn't a ridiculous price.

So, that's Harewood and Knight for 7.5 combined, a fourth choice striker and a fourth choice CB, only one of which we've actually signed.

Facts, eh. Tricky.

Thought he was a huge rip off at the time but Young has been quite impressive.

NRC has talents, its all about the motivation with him but at current prices he hasn't really been that expensive.

Good player Young, I like him a lot.

If he doesn't play for England in the next 12 months, then my name's Marlon Harewood.

He's a very good player imo, could maybe fill that left wing role for England?

If he doesn't play for England in the next 12 months, then my name's Marlon Harewood.

I fear the golden child Downing may present a frankly ridiculous obstacle.

Insanity.

Just did a search to see how reliable Marca is (based on rumours given on here from that site). Here's the list....

Luque to Newcastle - yes.

Aurelio to Liverpool - yes.

C.Ronaldo to Real Madrid - no...though the player himself said at the time he wanted to go.

Cannavaro to Real Madrid - yes.

Emerson to Real Madrid - yes.

Zambrotta to Real Madrid - no.

Reyes to Real Madrid - yes.

Baptista to Arsenal - yes.

Saviola to Real Madrid - yes.

Kanoute to Portsmouth - no.

Henry to Barcelona - yes

Dudek to Real Madrid - yes.

Cannavaro to Chelsea - no.

Drenthe to Real Madrid (when all of the British media was banging on about Chelsea) - yes.

Dragutinovic to Newcastle - no...though it looks like that was down to player not clubs

Robben to Real Madrid - yes.

Ballack to Real Madrid - no.

Enrique to Newcastle - yes.

Sneijder to Real Madrid - yes.

Heinze to Real Madrid - yes.

So I'd say it's a pretty reliable source!

I fear the golden child Downing may present a frankly ridiculous obstacle.

Forgot about that awesome player