Been offered Deco and enquired about Eto'o...according to The Journal.

Guest DavB93

Guest Verlaine

Or the optimists Team

------------------------Given

Geremi-----Edmilson--------Taylor----Heinze

-------------------------Diarra

---------------Barton------------Emre

------------------------Deco

---------------Etoo------------Owen

If only lol.

Although the team looks immense, I think they are achievable targets.  Except Etoo.

It looks a bit narrow to me.  Barton and Emre aren't going to play the flanks and Heinze isn't attacking enough to do it on his own.

Why play with wingers when you have Etoo and Owen up front?  There is enough creativity in midfield to enable us to go through the middle.  I am sure Etoo and Owen would be happy to have balls threaded through the centre rather than crosses!

Alright then, Cryuff. How do you suggest making the space to thread balls through the middle if there's absolutely no width to stretch the defence?

Well you need 2 mobile strikers which we would have and  at least a couple of players with good vision.  If Emre, Barton and Deco bomb forward you will drag at least 1 of their midfielders backwards to track Deco and the fullbacks will tuck in to track Barton and Emre.   One of your strikers drags a centreback out to the wing  leaving a one on one for one of your strikers.  Deco, Barton or Emre slides the ball in behind and one of your strikers uses his pace to beat the man as their will be no covering CB.  Alternatively both of your strikers drag the cb's onto the wings leaving no CB's and at least one of Deco, Barton or Emre would break from their marker.  There are many permutations but It will take too long.  But you would probably be better with a leftback like Bridge enabling him and Geremi to bomb into the open space left by the fulbacks tracking barton and Emre.

It would require alot of movement but defenders woiuld hate playing against it as they would get extremely tired extremely quickly.

So basically it's a choice between no width or no midfield?

I wouldn't say that when you have 4 central midfielders in your side.  Explain why you suggest we will have no midfield because the midfield is dynamic.  Do you want them to stand still and wait for the ball (remember only one player can have the ball at any one time) or make runs and create some space?

You're asking them all to bomb forward. One long ball and we'd be fucked.

Jesus, I just woke at 2pm today haha and this is quite a story to read about.

First off I'm going to just ignore the Et'oo talk and concentrate on the Deco news.

I think Deco is a player we REALLY need. He is very creative, has tons of flair, tricks and can score goals aswell as provide them on a plate to our strikeforce. I'd go ballistic if we signed him!

If we were to sign Deco, then we'd need to just concentrate fully on defensive signings for the rest of the window. As our Austrain reporters mentioned, one of our medical staff said we may be getting 4-5 more players, so once Deco joined, we'd be signing 3-4 more defenders.

If this did happen I'd piss myself with warm satisfaction  :celb:

Guest firetotheworks

I just rolled out of bed to this rumour! I'm floored. I don't want to get my hopes up too high without this being confirmed, but..... :celb:

Anyways, I think that Barton could fit in nicely as a holding midfielder, if we bring Deco in. So, realistically, I think our squad could end up looking like this:

-----------------Given---------------

--Geremi---Roz---Taylor---Heinze?

----------------Barton---------------

---Milner------Deco-------Duff----

--------Viduka--------Owen-------

But Milner can play on both sides, correct? We might end up in a situation where he goes in on the left, and Dyer comes in on the right, with the current squad as it is. Of course, if we're signing guys like Deco, Milner quickly becomes the weakest link, and we'll probably have to find someone better.

Why does our best player last season become the weakest link? Yet Dyer, the serial sick note can walk into the team when he only does the business when he feels like hes got something to prove?

Jesus, I just woke at 2pm today haha and this is quite a story to read about.

First off I'm going to just ignore the Et'oo talk and concentrate on the Deco news.

I think Deco is a player we REALLY need. He is very creative, has tons of flair, tricks and can score goals aswell as provide them on a plate to our strikeforce. I'd go ballistic if we signed him!

If we were to sign Deco, then we'd need to just concentrate fully on defensive signings for the rest of the window. As our Austrain reporters mentioned, one of our medical staff said we may be getting 4-5 more players, so once Deco joined, we'd be signing 3-4 more defenders.

If this did happen I'd piss myself with warm satisfaction  :celb:

Of course, now that we're linked with Deco, Manchester United will go in for him.

Guest DavB93

I'd be f*cking amazed if we signed Deco, like. Amazed in a good way.

Be prepared to be f*ucking amazed then.

Guest Dr. Pongle

Pleasantly surprised.

I assume people have posted this:

Deco deal done?

A story which broke on Sunday in the News of the World concerning our interest in Deco (pictured) of Barcelona appears to have moved on quickly, Monday bringing claims from credible sources that the player is expected on Tyneside for a medical this week.

Spanish newspapers reported last month that the 29 year-old Brazilian-born Portuguese international midfielder was on a list of players who had been declared surplus to requirements at the Nou Camp.

Not that they are unfalliable, like.

Pleasantly surprised.

Pleasantly surprised.

It was Freddy's plan all along, do a shite job, wait for the Gerodieish Abramovic to come in, spend money on players that will pleasantly surprised.

If we pulled this one off I would be more than pleasantly surprised.

Guest Dr. Pongle

It was Freddy's plan all along, do a shite job, wait for the Gerodieish Abramovic to come in, spend money on players that will pleasantly surprised.

If we pulled this one off I would be more than pleasantly surprised.

I prefer my plan of hacking an ice-pick down his eye.

Guest Verlaine

Deco deal done?

A story which broke on Sunday in the News of the World concerning our interest in Deco (pictured) of Barcelona appears to have moved on quickly, Monday bringing claims from credible sources that the player is expected on Tyneside for a medical this week.

Spanish newspapers reported last month that the 29 year-old Brazilian-born Portuguese international midfielder was on a list of players who had been declared surplus to requirements at the Nou Camp.

Only twice. ;)

Guest alex

Deco deal done?

Infallible you mean? ;)

Deco deal done?

Infallible you mean? ;)

Inflammable.

Guest Baxter

One thing that I haven't seen discussed is that Deco is the most cynical cheating player on the planet. Does anybody remember Celtic Porto UEFA cup final a few years back? Still as long as he's playing for us!  O0

One thing that I haven't seen discussed is that Deco is the most cynical cheating player on the planet. Does anybody remember Celtic Porto UEFA cup final a few years back? Still as long as he's playing for us!  O0

As long as he's cheating for us, you mean?

If (and I do mean IF) this turns out to be true, then it's quite obvious that when Sam was over in Barcelona the main topic of conversation wasn't Edmilson & Gudjohnson.

Classic smokescreen.

Certainly in the case of Gudjohnsen, if we're going for Deco then there's no way we need Guddy. As for Edmilson, I can only hope that's a load of bollocks.

I'm hoping the Deco rumour is true, but I'm also hoping we're not about to splash out an obscene amount on what would effectively be a luxury signing. We could do with his creativity to take us up a gear, but given our major needs in defence and his age, it would have to be considered a bit of a luxury. I hope that whatever happens, the defence finally gets some attention.