The Present State Of Play

Tsunami
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We had the excitement of the takeover, we have been told that Mike would like to make a signing that would shock world football & that he wants NUFC to be a world force. Through his right hand man, Mort, we have been told "money" is available but we also know an internal review is taking place.

Sam has stated that his priority is to get the defence sorted & he will convince the money men if that is what it takes. So far we have been linked with superstars, given a trial to a free agent, spent a net amount of less than 2M & have made 4 decent acquisitions.

Today the fraud squad paid a visit.

So what do you think? We all want the best for the club & I think most agree that Sam is doing what he can but may currently have restraints. What should Mike Ashley do now, if anything?

Guest 22bnw

He should carry on what he's been doing, letting Sam sign players. We've got four and its not even August yet, its not all bad.

Guest optimistic nit

:banghead:

I can't wait until the season starts.

Or are there always this many shit, pointless threads, regardless of the time of year?

pretty much.

Or are there always this many s***, pointless threads, regardless of the time of year?

Be careful, you will be shot down for making snide remarks. It doesnt matter that it could go in any number of other related threads when you can start a new one.

I chose the second option mind.

Well considering he said he wont be going public,so it will be mort doing that side!It would be nice if they did,although sam gave a gd honest interview.Jus wish they would even say roughly how much money is available!!

Or are there always this many s***, pointless threads, regardless of the time of year?

Not really surprised about all the curiosity surrounding current events leading to new posts about the matters, surely you could have found a more apt thread to launch your attack on. I can see quite a few. :)

Well considering he said he wont be going public,so it will be mort doing that side!It would be nice if they did,although sam gave a gd honest interview.Jus wish they would even say roughly how much money is available!!

it would be nice if they could tell just us and we could keep it secret,realistically letting everyone know how much you have is naive and silly.

Guest zerocipher

But in the grand scheme of things, all this would do is make the people we are going after more expensive. Would be stupid eh?

I'm not asking how much money we have to spend or posting a poll on where we will be at the season start.

I was simply trying to gauge how people felt at this point in time. Sam is now saying he has missed out on all his top targets because of the takeover & yet the concensus seems to be let MA get on with his review. I find this a little strange. I would love to have more information & the little soundbites coming from Sam & the recent lack of transfer activity suggests that there is a blockage of some kind in the way.

We have a billionaire in charge of the club now, look at WHU and CFC if they go to sign a player the fee goes up but 2-3 mill id be willing to bet.  Yes other clubs know we have money but lets not keep shouting about it a reminding people, lets go about our business quietly and more importantly carefully.

I have some questions for the 50+% who voted to wait for the internal review:

• This internal review has been ongoing for 3 weeks now. How much longer do you think it's going to take?

• Is 3 weeks not easily long enough to review the major parts of the business which would affect transfers and allow a transfer budget to be assigned? Obviously Allardyce has some money to work with, but it's equally obvious from his comments yesterday that this is currently a limited amount. Ashley has his own people in now who can negotiate the deals, so he'll know what's going on during a new transfer. If a more substantial amount of money is forthcoming, then what's stopping it?
  • Reading between the lines of his interview yesterday, Allardyce seems to be almost as much in the dark as we are. Is this review so time intensive that Mort can't even spare an hour to discuss things with the manager of the club at a critical point in the season for transfers?
  • Do you believe that this review is anything more than just a cost cutting exercise and review of the managerial structure? The major monetary ins and outs are all in the club's accounts and will have been reviewed before he bought his first share. Do you think that lots of secret undercover work is being done to find hidden debts or something?
  • I've repeatedly heard many posters on here claim that the only way Ashley is going to make money from the club is by investing lots in the playing staff to ultimately get us into the CL. If this is the case, then what difference is an internal review going to make to the amount of money spent on the squad? What could it possibly turn up (after 3 weeks) which would significantly change this policy?

Guest Invicta_Toon

Bort: the internal review will take as long as it takes

Fat Sam: right, but could you finish before the season starts?

Bort: shut up, you're fired

Bort: the internal review will take as long as it takes

Fat Sam: right, but could you finish before the season starts?

Bort: shut up, you're fired

Strangely Vic, I agree with what you say here. I think Allardyce has to be careful. He has now publicly criticised the new owners for being too slow - twice.

He will be told to shut up (at the very least).

Pity though, it was interesting to hear what he (Sam) said about this.

(PS - UV, I have attempted to reply to your above questions, as you requested, on the 'delisting' thread).

Guest TyneToPlay

They have just appointed Sam, so he's in probably the strongest position he is ever going to be. Would be huge egg on face if they canned him at this stage.

They have just appointed Sam, so he's in probably the strongest position he is ever going to be. Would be huge egg on face if they canned him at this stage.

This is true, but I still think he needs to be careful. Powerful people tend to be ruthless people.

Sam's arrival preceded the takeover though, so he may not have been Ashley's preferred choice for the manager position..

Guest shaun11177

Who are these players we have missed? Certainly not Ben-Haim or Sidwell and if the wages for Edmilson were considered too high by the new board then thats fine by me. Who else-who else has been transferred recently that might have signed for us and is a defender.

You dont need an internal review to know last seasons transfer money was borrowed,the borrowings are too high and the club probably didnt generate a transfer fund for this season. i dont understand why the new owners cannot just give Sam 20m and tell him to get on with it.

I don't understand why around 50% of votes ar being protective of a new owner who we know very little about & where we have an equally new manager who is seemingly also in the dark & getting a little frustrated.

MA said part of the reason for choosing Newcastle was the passion of the fans; he is hardly helping to fuel it.

We were delisted today, it would be too much too expect any statement though & it seems we agree; why should he?