Fraser Forster

Guest Alan Shearer 9

For the simple fact that Krul's had the shirt already and Forster's been out and about the last 2 years it's nailed on Forster will be the one to go.

These are both talented keepers who will have any amount of suitors if we decide to sell. Just look at the number of premier clubs who have far worse keepers and that much should be obvious. Krul despite his odd blunder still looks better than Robert Green from West Ham and he was England's first choice in the World Cup.

If we are going to lose a keeper from the three then it should be old man Harper. The other two are only going to get better.

Guest Roger Kint

Time to build for the future. Harper has to be dropped.

Yep. The benefits of playing Harper are non-existant.

Time to build for the future. Harper has to be dropped.

Yep. The benefits of playing Harper are non-existant.

If you don't consider conceding less goals of benefit to the team, then this opinion is spot on.

Harper is a better keeper than Krul for now because we concede less goals when he's playing. FACT. Krul's inexperience isn't going to magically disappear overnight or even in the course of a season. He's not 18, he's 23, he's played a lot of games (for a keeper IMO it's not so important at what level you're playing at to be able to learn the basics of your game) and done all of the quick learning and improvement he's going to do, any progress from where he is now will be slow and it will take years before he cuts out a lot of his mistakes if he ever does (some don't - "he can only get better" is a fallacy).

I have no problem dropping Harper if he declines, or Krul improves noticeably, or if Forster is actually considered a better keeper now (I have no idea about Forster), but playing a younger keeper just for the sake of tying to keep him happy or in the hope the experience of making mistakes in high profile games will improve him faster than making mistakes in the reserves or in a lower league is stupid IYAM.

People forget about Jak Alnwick, who I think will probably be better than both Krul and Forster. If you watch him he far surpasses the expectations of a 17 year old Goalkeeper IMO.

Pulled off some cracking saves in the FA Youth Cup, if I recall.

People forget about Jak Alnwick, who I think will probably be better than both Krul and Forster. If you watch him he far surpasses the expectations of a 17 year old Goalkeeper IMO.

Pulled off some cracking saves in the FA Youth Cup, if I recall.

And what about Soderberg?  Any good?

Guest Shaun

6 foot 7 goalkeeper, a local lad who has had a very good season for Celtic judging by their forums. Pretty much sounds like someone we should be looking to build our future defense around.

Broke a club record for clean sheets this season.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/05/22/pards-warns-forster-he-ll-face-tougher-opponents-79310-28739292/

Pards warns Forster he’ll face tougher opponents

May 22 2011 by Mark Douglas, Sunday Sun

ALAN PARDEW has taken a swipe at the standard of the Scottish Premier League after warning Fraser Forster he is returning to a “completely different” level of football next season.

Celtic are desperate to broker a permanent deal for Newcastle’s 6ft 7in goalkeeper, but Pardew says there is no chance of him leaving St James’ Park before the start of next season.

The 22-year-old returns to Tyneside with a season of Old Firm football under his belt, but Pardew feels that he will have to step up his game to make himself No 1 next season.

United will wipe the slate clean over the summer, offering Steve Harper, Tim Krul and Forster the chance to battle it out to secure the status of No 1 stopper.

On Forster, Pardew said: “I think he’s coming back to a completely different level of football, I’ll tell you that now.

“We have watched that division and watched him all year.

“We’ve been very disappointed with the quality of the games, other than the occasional Rangers versus Celtic game.

“And even some of those have been poor, if I’m honest.

“He is coming to a completely different level of football.”

It will be an intriguing fight to secure No 1 status and Pardew said he will be monitoring all three men closely when they return for the new campaign.

“Fraser is not a shoo-in, none of them are,” he said.

“It’s going to be a case of ‘Come on then, who’s the hungriest, who has had a summer, who’s actually really taken care of what they’re doing over the summer?’

“Who is putting in front of me ‘I’m ready, I can be the man’.

“Hopefully, that challenge will go right up to the day we kick off.”

Pardew has already spoken to Forster to reassure him that no decision has been taken on the No 1 goal- keeper.

He said: “I’ve tried to calm that anxiety with him a couple of times with him.

“He’s been up to see me and I’ve told him ‘Let’s see how it goes’.”

Some strange comments there from Pardew - you'd have thought he'd have least praised Forster for breaking that record.

:dontknow: would seem a logical point but then again, if your previous comment is "I don't rate that league" it's almost a backhanded compliment...

It actually implies that Pardew is ready to let Forster to fight for the No.1.  Good news to me.  On the other hand, it is meaningless if Pardew praise him but mention that he would have no future at Newcastle.

• 4 weeks later...

NEWCASTLE EYE UP SCOTT BROWN

Alan Pardew is weighing up a £6million move for Celtic captain Scott Brown

Sunday June 12,2011

By Ewing Grahame

NEWCASTLE UNITED manager Alan Pardew is weighing up a £6million move for Celtic captain Scott Brown – and he could use goalkeeper Fraser Forster in a player-plus-cash arrangement to sweeten the deal.

Pardew has publicly slated the standard of the Scottish game but he has received rave reports about Brown, above, from first-team coach and former England midfielder Steve Stone.

Brown, capped 25 times by Scotland, will be 26 next month and is about to enter the final year of his contract at Parkhead.

Celtic may decide to cash in on the skipper unless a new deal can be agreed and the prospect of landing Forster, who kept 24 clean sheets in 44 appearances on loan last season, is likely to appeal.

With Coventry’s Keiren Westwood seemingly bound for Sunderland and Manchester City wanting to sell Shay Given rather than send him out on loan, boss Neil Lennon will hope to tie down a first-choice keeper before the big kick-off on July 23.

ì

We have watched that division and watched him all year

î

Forster is currently third choice at St James’ Park behind Steve Harper and Tim Krul and has never played for Newcastle.

He spent the last two seasons on loan with Paul Lambert’s Norwich City and then with Celtic.

However, it was his spell at Parkhead which provoked Pardew’s withering dismissal of the SPL.

“We have watched that division and watched him all year,” he said.

“We’ve been very disappointed with the quality of the games other than the occasional Rangers versus Celtic game – and even some of those have been pretty poor, if I’m honest.”

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/252403/Newcastle-eye-up-Scott-BrownNewcastle-eye-up-Scott-Brown#ixzz1PG2Zi1MA

Sounds like a load of rubbish to me

Same, they're also massively overstating the thing about Forster being third choice. Harper is on his last legs and Forster was loaned out for a great season of experience.

Surely can't be anything to that story.