Fraser Forster

Guest Alan Shearer 9

who was the last academy product to be called up to the England squad? Taylor?

well done to Fraser but well done also to Paul Barron for developing two excellent international level goalkeepers.

It was a shame that he left like but if you think about it, there was no way he was going to sit on the bench here so a transfer was probably the right move for him. Good luck with the England gloves Fraser.

Anyone else think it might have been a good idea to tell this lad he had to see his contract out and put him on the bench/play him in the EL and as back up for Krul?

Probably not a good example to the rest of the youth players if he really wanted to leave.

Guest bimpy474

Anyone else think it might have been a good idea to tell this lad he had to see his contract out and put him on the bench/play him in the EL and as back up for Krul?

Nah, he has some terrible mistakes in his locker.

Wouldn't be an issue if Elliot and Krul hadn't got injured at the same time, Harper is ok as a 3rd choice and tbf not many teams have had to go to their 3rd choice very often. Just our usual bad luck with injuries which up until not hadn't affected the GK's too much.

Guest bimpy474

Fair points, how bad is Ellliot's injury btw?

Think it was a muscle pull, hopefully the 2 week break will mean Tim's back as well as Elliot.

• 6 months later...

Published on 09/04/2013 14:04

FORMER Newcastle United goalkeeper Fraser Forster has admitted he wants to return to the Magpies – as he has ‘unfinished business’ at the club.

Forster signed for Celtic in the summer after a loan spell at the Scottish giants, having been frustrated in his bid to usurp Tim Krul to the No1 jersey at St James’s Park.

The 25-year-old spent his formative years with Newcastle, coming through the ranks before leaving in a £2.5m deal.

But he admits it was a huge wrench to leave his boyhood club, and would love to return one day.

“I’d like to go back to Newcastle at some point, if the opportunity arises,” said Forster, who was speaking to BBC’s Late Kick-Off. “I’m a Newcastle fan and I’ve got unfinished business there.

“It was a wrench to leave, it’s my hometown club. But it wasn’t meant to be.

“I enjoyed my time out on loan and after enjoying playing week in week out it was important I carried on playing. I wanted to be No1 and it was clear that wasn’t going to happen at Newcastle.

“Everyone wants to be playing in the Premier League. It’s the place to be.

“At the minute I’m very happy at Celtic and playing Champions League Football, but long-term it would be nice to play in the Premier League.”

Guest firetotheworks

Hmm. Interesting. I'd certainly have him and Krul fighting for the number 1 spot if that was how it worked.

I love Krul but I really miss having a keeper who dives for the ball like a cat and requires strikers to wear a hard hat.

Who did we have before who did that?  Not having a go, just interested as your description doesn't seem to fit any keeper we have had.

Apologies - misread your post.  I thought you meant we had had a keeper who did that recently - didn't realise you were referring to FF as I didn't he'd really played enough to be missed!