Barton available for the Spurs game - Sam

Crumpy Gunt

We only appointed a new club doctor a couple of years ago, we got him from Celtic iirc, although I also think he may have left very recently.

Derek Wright has been here since Bobby's days though hasn't he. Don't know about the other medical staff.

I'd be interested to hear if Allardyce has made any changes in this area of the club yet? Have any of his old Bolton staff come over, we were linked with a few but there's been no confirmation?

Derek Wright has been here since Bobby's days though hasn't he. Don't know about the other medical staff.

I'd be interested to hear if Allardyce has made any changes in this area of the club yet? Have any of his old Bolton staff come over, we were linked with a few but there's been no confirmation?

Didn't Bolton say they has signed contracts for 12 months so they had to work until the contracts were up?

Barton slips into talisman role for Newcastle

Carlisle 1 Newcastle 1

Simon Rushworth at Brunton Park

ANOTHER Saturday afternoon and another Newcastle United team-sheet missing its most famous name. Supporters of the black and white cause have become used to the regular, and often sustained, absences of Michael Owen during the England forward’s two unproductive campaigns on Tyneside, but a familiar situation becomes no less painful with time.

After the serious injuries of the past, a thigh strain should cause little concern, but Newcastle’s fans have long since learned to err on the side of caution as far as their favourite-in-waiting is concerned.

With neither Owen nor the former England Under21 forward Shola Ameobi available to face League One promotion hopefuls Carlisle United, Newcastle’s manager, Sam Allardyce, asked the unsettled duo Kieron Dyer and Obafemi Martins to carry the weight of the Magpies’ attack alongside the Academy graduate Andy Carroll.

All three spurned first-half opportunities but it was the identity of the visiting captain which proved the most curious aspect of a keenly-contested friendly.

Joey Barton, on police bail as an investigation into his alleged assault on former teammate Ousmane Dabo continues, does not appear to be the best-equipped leader of a traditionally disparate dressing room.

Where Barton was tipped to succeed renowned trouble-makers Craig Bellamy and Lee Bowyer as the Gallowgate End’s new antihero, it is increasingly apparent that Allardyce sees the England international as a possible heir to Alan Shearer. Whether the armband inspires maturity remains to be seen but Newcastle’s £5.8m close-season capture barely put a foot wrong during 69 minutes of controlled aggression.

What else Allardyce learned from this necessary exercise in preseason match fitness remained unclear. The Czech Republic international centre-half, David Rozehnal, was rarely asked to break sweat against an earnest yet limited Carlisle strikeforce.

However, the £2.9m summer signing from French side Paris St Germain was one of several Newcastle defenders at fault when the Carlisle defender, Danny Livesey, opened the scoring for the home team in the 56th minute with a powerful header.

Cameroon international Geremi made his Newcastle debut 12 minutes later and the midfielder, signed from Chelsea this summer, immediately tested Carlisle’s goalkeeper, Keiren Westwood, with a trademark free kick.

But it was the Peruvian midfielder, Nolberto Solano, who salvaged some pride for the Magpies with a fine right-footed volley in second-half stoppage time.

Carlisle United: Westwood; Raven, Livesey, Murphy, Aranalde; Bridge-Wilkinson, Thirlwell, Smith; Gall, Hackney, Graham. Substitutes: Howarth, Lumsdon, Carlton, Joyce, Arnison, McDermott, Dalton, Kirkup

Newcastle United: Harper; Carr, Rozehnal, Ramage, N’Zogbia; Butt, Solano, Barton; Martins, Carroll, Dyer. Substitutes: Milner, Geremi, Huntington, Forster, Krul, Bertram, Francis, Lough, LuaLua, Troisi

Scorers: Carlisle United: Livesey 56

Newcastle United: Solano 90

Referee: M Pike

Not being reported. Could this be a mistake? Or am I just reaching at this point.

It would be brilliant news if SSN have messed it up. Allardyce makes no mention of it in his post match interviews, even when he's talking about why he rested Ameobi, Given etc as precautions.

It would be brilliant news if SSN have messed it up. Allardyce makes no mention of it in his post match interviews, even when he's talking about why he rested Ameobi, Given etc as precautions.

It's about time our luck changed for the better, I haven't seen anything being reported about the injury yet so it must be less than certain.

Well it was only on SSN at half past 11 last night so it's hardly going to be reported anywhere else in the middle of the night.

.com are reporting it to be fair, hope to fuck they're wrong though.

One of the last players that I#d have wanted us to lose for the start of the season, fucking sickening this if it's true.

We only appointed a new club doctor a couple of years ago, we got him from Celtic iirc, although I also think he may have left very recently.

Followed O'Neill and went to Villa a month or so ago.

:frantic:  :lol: @ the lot of you if it turns out Crumpy is a windy up twat.

Did everyone see it on SSN?

Crumpy is usually right on medical stuff if i remember.  Barton would have had to have an x-ray first, thats why it didn`t get instantly reported.

:frantic:  :lol: @ the lot of you if it turns out Crumpy is a windy up twat.

Did everyone see it on SSN?

Yes, I come on here on a regular basis and just post pure shite I just make up.

A bit like when I posted Taylor had 'broke' his shoulder on U21 duty in deepest darkest Souness days. Some humble pie of epic proportions ate on that thread.