Andy Carroll a wanted man

Skirge

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=478420&CPID=8&clid=4&lid=&title=Big+Sam:+Carroll+a+wanted+man

Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce has revealed that he has been inundated with offers for 18-year-old striker Andy Carroll.

The youngster made his debut in the Uefa Cup match against Palermo last year and he signed a long-term deal in April 2007.

With new striker Mark Viduka away on international duty Carroll has started both of Newcastle's pre-season fixtures.

However, Carroll could well find Premier League starts hard to come by next season as The Magpies now have a healthy front-line in Viduka, Michael Owen, Obafemi Martins, Albert Luque and Shola Ameobi.

Allardyce explained that the starlet could be sent out on loan but the decision would be in the player's best interest.

"I have heard so much about Andy from other managers because they keep ringing up and asking for him on loan, which rather excited me about the potential of the young man," Allardyce said.

"There is very good potential there. Whether it's going to be in key areas in the Premier League this year, I'll decide that further down the line as the season comes closer.

"He can play a part now because Mark Viduka is away, but when Mark comes back, I will have a full assessment and there might be the possibility that one of those managers gets lucky.

"I may loan him out if I feel that's the right thing for Andy and the right thing for us.

"Or if he carries on improving and showing the sort of potential he's got, I might decide to keep him here and use him when I feel necessary to give him some Premier League experience."

I haven't seen an awful lot of him but what I have seen has been impressive.

At the minute he'd be fifth in line though, behind Owen, Martins, Viduka and Ameobi.

Now, with our injury history there could actually be a fair chance that he may play, but I think we should loan him out and give him a recall clause in the contract.

Would benefit him greatly to be playing regular first team football, and thats something that we can't offer at the moment.

Would make a change from just loaning out has-beens and never-weres to get them off the wage bill if we were to loan him out. As long as we can recall him quickly when all our strikers get crocked again

He needs regular first team football at a decent level. He's got 4 strikers in front of him in the pecking order and would only get a handful of games if he stayed here so a season long loan to a Championship side would be an ideal solution for all parties imo.

Haven't the rules for loaning players changed this season?  Not sure if I am right with this but I think the new rules mean the players are loaned out for a whole season and there would be no recall option.  If so, this makes it a really difficult decision as you might need them in a few months time.

We are OK with the strikers providing they all stay and are fit so you could probably afford to let Carroll go.  However, unless we sign some defenders there is no way that we could allow any of them to go on loan.

Highly impressive at the tailend of last season, and I'm not sure whether loaning him out would be best, because you know the second we loan him out on a non-voidable deal, three of our strikers are going ot get injured.

Haven't the rules for loaning players changed this season?  Not sure if I am right with this but I think the new rules mean the players are loaned out for a whole season and there would be no recall option.  If so, this makes it a really difficult decision as you might need them in a few months time.

We are OK with the strikers providing they all stay and are fit so you could probably afford to let Carroll go.  However, unless we sign some defenders there is no way that we could allow any of them to go on loan.

A good compromise would be to loan him until January. That's still allowed, isn't it?

A good compromise would be to loan him until January. That's still allowed, isn't it?

I think that would be more of a sensible offer.Then,if we still have our 5 strikers fully fit,we can loan him out until the end of the season.

I'm sure I read that loans now have to be a minimum of 1 year though, am I right?

I'm not sure about that but you can't bring a player back until the loan is finished.

Allardce said a few weeks ago that loans have changed and now they all have to be a whole season.

Aye thats right.

Makes it more of a gamble now, it's either  - he's away for the season or maybe playing reserve team football all season.

Personally i'd take the risk and loan him out to the highest quality team that will have him. That would be the best for him in the long run.

Allardce said a few weeks ago that loans have changed and now they all have to be a whole season.

Aye thats right.

Makes it more of a gamble now, it's either  - he's away for the season or maybe playing reserve team football all season.

Personally i'd take the risk and loan him out to the highest quality team that will have him. That would be the best for him in the long run.

I would as well, I'm not sure on the details though, like whether you can loan someone out in the January window anymore, and whether if you do they would have to stay until the end of the season, or a year from the date of the loan.

Safest bet if possible would probably be to keep him until January, assess the injury situation, and if all 4 strikers are still fit then loan him out. At least that way he'll get half a seasons first team football for someone.

Like mentioned, if we loan Carroll it has to be for the entire season.

Given our history of injuries, I think its fair for Big Sam to just hold off interest until near the end of the window.

Much depends on what happens with Luque, if we get another player in that is capable of playing upfront, ie Baptista/Gudjohnsen etc.. and if our current quartet can stay injury free.

Id expect him to be shipped out mid to late August, when things are a bit clearer and the squad is a bit more stable.

Will be interesting to see if the likes of Hunty, Edgar, Fatty Patty and Troisi are sent away for a bit of experience aswell. Hopefully we will be in a position to do that.