Sam Interview

SUPERTOON

he also says that we need to be patient.

I agree

From what I am picking up on this board is that too many people expected an instant fix and the immediate signing of a whole new squad of 20 players and because its not happening, the doom and gloom is starting to decend again.

We have to stop thinking like this and remember where we were at the end of the season. No way was this going to be fixed quickly.

Which is fair enough when talking about the midfeild or attack, but when were talking about our defense, currently whats been going on is not good enough. A makeshift free rightback and a cheap defender who's never played in England before. This is simply not good enough since we've released Bramble, Moore, Gooch and never replaced Boumsong, have only one natural LB at the club who shows no interest in wanting to play football and again at RB a makeshift aging winger was our best performer there last season.

Were not talking massive leaps and bounds here, we talking about sensible spending and bringing in bodies at the back which we've yet to see and the start of the season creeps closer and closer, players already missing out on the training camps away, pre season friendlies, its just the same shite as last year, nothing has changed.

Guest Guinness

I agree

From what I am picking up on this board is that too many people expected an instant fix and the immediate signing of a whole new squad of 20 players and because its not happening, the doom and gloom is starting to decend again.

We have to stop thinking like this and remember where we were at the end of the season. No way was this going to be fixed quickly.

Which is fair enough when talking about the midfeild or attack, but when were talking about our defense, currently whats been going on is not good enough. A makeshift free rightback and a cheap defender who's never played in England before. This is simply not good enough since we've released Bramble, Moore, Gooch and never replaced Boumsong, have only one natural LB at the club who shows no interest in wanting to play football and again at RB a makeshift aging winger was our best performer there last season.

Were not talking massive leaps and bounds here, we talking about sensible spending and bringing in bodies at the back which we've yet to see and the start of the season creeps closer and closer, players already missing out on the training camps away, pre season friendlies, its just the same s**** as last year, nothing has changed.

Pretty much sums up my feelings, I can't help but feel anxious while our defense is in the state it is.

I agree

in the interview he mentions being patient about the long term stability etc....he also says day by day more players are slipping away,doesn't sound like he is being too patient to me.

If SA wants to be honest, what would really help us is to explain why they are slipping away.

If its because they are going to clubs that are simply offering them more money then it would help us fans.

I think most people on this board agreed with SA when he said that we only want players who want to play for the club. If money is there perogative then we have to support SA/Board in not begging them to come.

Eventually we will get the right players and will have taken the first steps towards becoming a stable club.

Watch what happens to West Ham or Fulham or Wigan if they are relegated next season. Totally fucked. I would rather didnt just chuck money at anyone just for the sake of it.

It bothers me that without knowing anything, all of a sudden its all Sams and Ashleys fault.

I agree

Were not talking massive leaps and bounds here, we talking about sensible spending and bringing in bodies at the back which we've yet to see and the start of the season creeps closer and closer, players already missing out on the training camps away, pre season friendlies, its just the same s**** as last year, nothing has changed.

100% agree.

We need defenders just to make up the numbers. We need quality defenders to make any progress. It won't matter how good our strikers are... if we don't shore up the defense we won't be moving up the table any time soon.

I agree

in the interview he mentions being patient about the long term stability etc....he also says day by day more players are slipping away,doesn't sound like he is being too patient to me.

If SA wants to be honest, what would really help us is to explain why they are slipping away.

If its because they are going to clubs that are simply offering them more money then it would help us fans.

I think most people on this board agreed with SA when he said that we only want players who want to play for the club. If money is there perogative then we have to support SA/Board in not begging them to come.

Eventually we will get the right players and will have taken the first steps towards becoming a stable club.

Watch what happens to West Ham or Fulham or Wigan if they are relegated next season. Totally f*****. I would rather didnt just chuck money at anyone just for the sake of it.

It bothers me that without knowing anything, all of a sudden its all Sams and Ashleys fault.

How would that help us?

Also, I don't understand the consensus that West Ham are relegation candidates because they are spending big.. To me it looks like they are another club that will stand in our way if we want to challenge for Europe, just like Porthsmouth has done last season by getting in better players..

I agree

Watch what happens to West Ham or Fulham or Wigan if they are relegated next season. Totally fucked. I would rather didnt just chuck money at anyone just for the sake of it.

Whether you like it or not SA has taken at least two swipes at the board in the last couple of weeks. Its not just the fans who are questioning and pointing fingers here.

I agree

Pretty much sums up my feelings, I can't help but feel anxious while our defense is in the state it is.

Maybe were all just so used to lampooning the board its in our blood, god knows.

What is a cert though the current squad isn't capable of challenging in the top half come the start of the season.

I agree

Watch what happens to West Ham or Fulham or Wigan if they are relegated next season. Totally f*****. I would rather didnt just chuck money at anyone just for the sake of it.

nobody has laid any blame,we are trying to work out if there is money why isnt it being used if the manager is thinking players are slipping away day by day.

the money/palyers who want to play here bit is very naive IMO

I agree

100% agree.

We need defenders just to make up the numbers. We need quality defenders to make any progress. It won't matter how good our strikers are... if we don't shore up the defense we won't be moving up the table any time soon.

Thing that pisses me off is this is the greatest opportunity to start again. Weve literally have no one we've spent big money on or who we owe a place too, we can do what we like, and bring in a totally new back four, but its slipping away each day that passes, and we'll end up rushing into deals just to get bodies in, again, nothing has really changed.

I agree

How would that help us?

Also, I don't understand the consensus that West Ham are relegation candidates because they are spending big.. To me it looks like they are another club that will stand in our way if we want to challenge for Europe, just like Porthsmouth has done last season by getting in better players..

Badly worded.

I meant it would just help us know whats going on and why we havent signed anyone else.

And we only have one DM Nicky Butt, Well Geremi can play in that role as far as i have read, But is he good in that position? And i do not believe that SA plans to play Rozehnal there if needed. Of course our priority lies in defense, but we surely need some more depthin midfield also. But as you im more concerned about our defense where we are thin and lack quality..

The club are giving the impression that there is little money to be spent - whether that is the case or not, who knows.

If it is true then they should sell Dyer ASAP for £5m because along with his wages, we could bring in a couple of competent defenders.  The midfield needs a bit more variety but we do have enough bodies there for the time being whilst that is simply not true with the defence.

I wonder if allardyce is regretting letting those few players go at the end of the season now? Our squad is tiny, and the defensive options a complete and utter joke. People are saying here about not wanting to get in players who we dont really want and not wanting to be lumbered with these players a year down the line. Fact is that in 2 weeks time we will HAVE to be doing this, because the alternative of facing the season with this group of defenders is unbearable.

Allardyce comes off well but it's looking a bit bleak in terms of getting in the players we need this summer.

We need defenders or we're looking at a mid-table struggle this season, at best.

I'm officially running out of patience in about a week, if we've not gotten at least one quality defender in the door I'll be getting angry.

I wonder if allardyce is regretting letting those few players go at the end of the season now? Our squad is tiny, and the defensive options a complete and utter joke. People are saying here about not wanting to get in players who we dont really want and not wanting to be lumbered with these players a year down the line. Fact is that in 2 weeks time we will HAVE to be doing this, because the alternative of facing the season with this group of defenders is unbearable.

Well i dont think he regretted it, And if he had offereda new contract to Bramble and kept another of those that he let go of he would of got slated for that, that's for sure...and i wouldn't either have wanted them now..

Q WHERE ARE NEWCASTLE IN THAT EQUATION?

A: You look at Fulham and they have spent £20m, Wigan have spent £10m, Portsmouth have spent £20m, West Ham £20m and Spurs £30m. Newcastle would normally deal at this level but not at the moment but hopefully we will have the ability to do it again.

that can be looked at in oh so many ways!

Have any of those clubs bar Spurs, bought anyone who would really have wanted though? Portsmouth got Distin but he was past the post by the time Allardyce got here. The reason he isn't here has more to do with past failings than present.

My heads spinning at the minute

In 2 months we have gone from depression with no future.... to delirium with the brightest future we have had to look forward to for years.... and now we are back to depression again.

How would that help us?

I'm sure what you say about West Ham was probably said 12 months ago.

Q WHERE ARE NEWCASTLE IN THAT EQUATION?

A: You look at Fulham and they have spent £20m, Wigan have spent £10m, Portsmouth have spent £20m, West Ham £20m and Spurs £30m. Newcastle would normally deal at this level but not at the moment but hopefully we will have the ability to do it again.

that can be looked at in oh so many ways!

Have any of those clubs bar Spurs, bought anyone who would really have wanted though? Portsmouth got Distin but he was past the post by the time Allardyce got here. The reason he isn't here has more to do with past failings than present.

That's not really the point though is it?

I don't think anyone is expecting Sunderland and Fulham to bring in the sort of players we have in the past.

Well, something of a reality check from Big Sam there, I think. Just what the fans needs, imo. People gannin crackers just cos' some rich fella has taken over the club. When Sam says he'll need 2 years, I think that's spot on. Took SBR about that long.

Guest pont-toon

Didn't we bring in Luque and Owen after we had started the season a couple of years ago? Which players had we signed before then? Parker? Emre? and?

Didn't we bring in Luque and Owen after we had started the season a couple of years ago? Which players had we signed before then? Parker? Emre? and?

Craig Moore and Lee Clark,

signed Nobby on deadline day as well

Well, something of a reality check from Big Sam there, I think. Just what the fans needs, imo. People gannin crackers just cos' some rich fella has taken over the club. When Sam says he'll need 2 years, I think that's spot on. Took SBR about that long.

I agree with this... for now.

N.O. in suicide cult pact.

"Dozens of N.O. posters not normally known for their optimism were last night driven over the edge after neurotically sifting through a pretty sensible and neutral interview by Big Sam.."

"We await further reports as Toons Taylor is said to be barracaded in Ne5's house demanding the return of FS".

"More as we get it".

mackems.gif :idiot2:

How would that help us?

I'm sure what you say about West Ham was probably said 12 months ago.

That settles it then.. They're going down..