Smudger signs 5 year deal.

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest johnson293

does nobody have any confidence in Allardyce? I'm sure Bolton fans were as bemused as we are here when they signed people like Kevin Davies and El-Hadji "lack of saliva control" Diouf, but both turned into crucial players for them. Ffs lads, Sam has a talent for bringing the best out of mediocre players. Unlike Roeder, he isn't just going to sing a player based on the name and for the point of it (see Duff), he probably has a conrete plan for Smith.

That said I don't quite see how he's a replacement for Dyer...

Perhaps Smith isn't necessarily the replacement for Dyer - maybe Sam sees a current memeber of the squad being able to step up/forward and take on Dyers role (N'Zogbia? or Troisi? or Milner?) - hopefully with less injuries, and with more end product.

Smith adss other qualities to the squad, and as a body, yes he is a Dyer replacement, but maybe not so much in actaul role.

Just a thought!

does nobody have any confidence in Allardyce? I'm sure Bolton fans were as bemused as we are here when they signed people like Kevin Davies and El-Hadji "lack of saliva control" Diouf, but both turned into crucial players for them. Ffs lads, Sam has a talent for bringing the best out of mediocre players. Unlike Roeder, he isn't just going to sing a player based on the name and for the point of it (see Duff), he probably has a conrete plan for Smith.

Perhaps Smith isn't necessarily the replacement for Dyer - maybe Sam sees a current memeber of the squad being able to step up/forward and take on Dyers role (N'Zogbia? or Troisi? or Milner?) - hopefully with less injuries, and with more end product.

Smith adss other qualities to the squad, and as a body, yes he is a Dyer replacement, but maybe not so much in actaul role.

Just a thought!

Good point, sir. I like your optimistic outlook on matters.

Plus I'm happy to take it because I think Dyer is a snivelling turd.

He will play less games for us than Dyer did, total waste of money!!

How have you come to that conclusion exactly?

He is just as injury prone but we also have the games hhe will miss after his red cards!

In the last 8 seasons, since signing for Newcastle, Dyer has played 222 games.  Smith has played 291 in the same time.. Smith is a bit injury prone maybe, but not in the same league as Dyer.

Guest Darth Toon

Very happy if this goes through - Smith is a very good player.

Saw a lot of him at Leeds and I think he'll fit nicely in the wide right position in Sam's 4-3-3:

Martins - Viduka - Smith

Pace, power and plenty of running. Tasty!  8)

Guest johnson293

In the last 8 seasons, since signing for Newcastle, Dyer has played 222 games.  Smith has played 291 in the same time.. Smith is a bit injury prone maybe, but not in the same league as Dyer.

And then there is the goal difference.

While I realise Smith isnt a prolific scorer (apart from one year at Leeds when he got 18), I'd he's still capable and has the potential (injuries and selection permitting) to score more goals a season than Dyer, whose best ever return in a season was something like 7 goals??

totally agree mate.

He will play less games for us than Dyer did, total waste of money!!

How have you come to that conclusion exactly?

He is just as injury prone but we also have the games hhe will miss after his red cards!

Narr smith hasnt played that many games because he has been a squad player and the one injury he did have was that freak broken leg incident so hardly injury prone.

still i prefer dyers style of play but i have confidence in big sam

As far as i'm concerned if we are replacing Dyer with a player more heart and use whilst making a profit in the proccess you wil get no complaint from this direction.

Smiths a far better player than some would make out, he is also the right kind of personality i want at this football club. Aswell as being, rightly or wrongly, an England international.

Just a thought!

Good post imo-i hadnt thought of that.

Newcastle agree £6m fee for Smith  - beeb

Smith started his career with hometown club Leeds

Newcastle have confirmed they have agreed a fee with Manchester United for England striker Alan Smith.

The Magpies are in talks with the 26-year-old, who has been linked to a host of Premiership clubs, and it is believed the deal is worth £6m.

Smith could even make his Newcastle debut alongside former Leeds team-mate Mark Viduka in a pre-season friendly against Sampdoria on Sunday.

Out-of-contract Lyon captain Cacapa, 31, is also in talks with Newcastle.

The Brazilian central defender skippered the French champions in each of their last five title-winning seasons.

606: DEBATE

Does Alan Smith's future lie at Old Trafford? 

Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce has so far added Viduka, Joey Barton, David Rozehnal and Geremi to the squad since arriving at the club.

But with six players departing and Kieron Dyer also set to leave, Allardyce has been frustrated over the lack of new faces.

I have confidence in Sam. IMO Smith is not a mediocre player and I'm sure Sam can see where Smith will fit into his team.

As for a replacement for Dire, how about a large pile of steaming dog turd!

Guest stb654

Great.. soo, how many goals has smth actaully scored?

Oh and where can he play in our current squad... i doubt he'll get striker role all the time.

(Sorry if i havent read most of this thread)

While I realise Smith isnt a prolific scorer (apart from one year at Leeds when he got 18), I'd he's still capable and has the potential (injuries and selection permitting) to score more goals a season than Dyer

Definitely yeah, as you say Smith isn't exactly a goal scorer, but his record of a goal every 4 games over the course of his carear so far is still better then Dyer's record of a goal every 6 games..

While I realise Smith isnt a prolific scorer (apart from one year at Leeds when he got 18), I'd he's still capable and has the potential (injuries and selection permitting) to score more goals a season than Dyer

Definitely yeah, as you say Smith isn't exactly a goal scorer, but his record of a goal every 4 games over the course of his carear so far is still better then Dyer's record of a goal every 6 games..

Would Smith have had that goal ratio had he spent the most part of his career out wide or in the middle though?