Next signing an experienced centre-half for 'free' (Chronicle)

Rich

Guest exilim

Sami hyypia?

On 10 August 2005, it was reported that Hyypiä had agreed to a new three-year contract after weeks of talks with the Reds which would keep him at Anfield until 2008.

Does that means he's only free in January or something?

As usual things at Newcastle are the wrong way round. It should be experienced freebies in centre midfield and money spent on the back line. But instead its spend 5.8 million on Barton for CM and peanuts on the defence. We never ever learn.

This inference that we NEED to spend (and big) every time is bollocks. People seem disappointed we're not spending money on this player. If we get this guy and he can do the job then who cares?

Of course i'd like to see us spending if it meant BETTER players btw.

Here here.

It really annoys me when people go over the top because we're not spending money. If we still get quality players, but don't spend money, why do people care?

Guest Knightrider

Sol Campbell???

Sol Campbell certainly won't be free

I thought he signed for Pompey on the provision that if he didn't like it, they wouldn't stand in his way of leaving? Could be wrong like.

Ah the luxuries of having a billionaire owner eh?

We haven't operated among so many free transfer players since the late 1980's and early 1990's. If we don't back Allardyce, he will bugger off.

Still, anyone but the Halls and Shepherd who let us all down all these years.

Guest Knightrider

We haven't operated among so many free transfer players since the late 1980's and early 1990's. If we don't back Allardyce, he will bugger off.

Give them a chance man, I'll judge them after a few transfer windows. I seem to remember Dalglish having to sign a few freebies when FS become Chairman, Rush, Barnes and Pearce.

If only we could have brought in Distin & Ben Haim.

I'm particularly gutted about Distin, especially considering Sam's recent comments on him.

Ben Haim was one we were never going to win. Add Distin to the current equation and things look an awful lot better.

If only we could have brought in Distin & Ben Haim.

I'm particularly gutted about Distin, especially considering Sam's recent comments on him.

Ben Haim was one we were never going to win. Add Distin to the current equation and things look an awful lot better.

He might have also been able to play left-back again for us, since he seems to fit into Allardyce's strategy of being able to defend and tall.

I think Distin knocked us back because of Roeder, did he not?

It's another one of those "conflicting reports" things, but I wouldn't be surprise if he'd opted for Pompey over us because of Shepherd still being here (after the contract wrangle) and seeing Roeder as our gaffer, rather than us never being interested.

Did Beardo not say he was "nailed-on" to sign over the summer? Did we miss out because of Roeder's unstable position?

Distin would have been the ideal player to get, Nut, from all accounts. Tall, experienced, quick, left-footed... bloody shame.

Give them a chance man, I'll judge them after a few transfer windows. I seem to remember Dalglish having to sign a few freebies when FS become Chairman, Rush, Barnes and Pearce.

I think you would find that was due to the initial constraints of becoming a PLC, maybe not though, maybe Dalglish wanted these signings because he knew and trusted them, who knows.  We don't have any choice but to give them time, however the noises from Allardyce are worrying, and you won't be saying this if he buggers off.

So you can use becoming a PLC as an excuse, but taking the club private again and trying to sort out the debts first isn't?

I'm not making any excuse for anybody.

Are you worried about the situation or not ?

Have the board so far backed the manager the way you thought they would, and as much as the old board, or not ?

Howay man, you cannot judge either the new board or the manager yet. Have a look at things two years dow the line and see how the club is doing.

Guest DazzaNufc1892

killer kilkline, keegans first move as director of football, also possibly john beresford?

Guest Knightrider

I think you would find that was due to the initial constraints of becoming a PLC, maybe not though, maybe Dalglish wanted these signings because he knew and trusted them, who knows.  We don't have any choice but to give them time, however the noises from Allardyce are worrying, and you won't be saying this if he buggers off.

And could our lack of spending now not be down to this takeover and the review process? Of course it is. Just like Dalglish having to sell and bring in freebies had something to do with the floatation and not FS withholding money.

The noises from SA are not worrying at all, not to me anyway, what I will say though is that the media are doing a great job in whipping up hysteria and some people seem to be falling for it.

Of course Big Sam wants money and we all want him to get it, and he's going to complain about it if he doesn't get it, but he's said enough times he also understands the position the new owner and Chairman are in and everyone is obviously working together and hard to find a middleground workable for all.

In the meantime efforts aren't being helped with sheer gossip about rifts, directors of football being brought in behind the manager's back, talk of £50m to spend becoming only £10m.