Allardyce - Dyer replacement revealed Thursday

Dave

Forgetting the fact that I don't think we need him even as a squad filler. Smith doesn't really have any real stand out qualities. In attack he isn't all that creative or a goal scorer. As a defensive midfielder he isn't a great tackler or does he read the game very well. He is a good pro and does run around a lot putting effort in although as the "cockney wanker" showed that isn't often appreciated by the majority.

£5m for Heskey and £2m for Faye would be better than £6m on Smith if work ethic, graft, etc. is what we're after.

Smith wouldn't be my first choice but he will give us something different, sometimes you can play brilliant football and for some reason it just doesn't happen for you, at least Smith will give us a bit of a battering ram to unsettle the opposition defence, I quite liked him when he was at Leeds but don't think he's really developed that much at Man U.  If we get him then I'll reserve judgement on him and see how we play him and how he does.

Forgetting the fact that I don't think we need him even as a squad filler. Smith doesn't really have any real stand out qualities. In attack he isn't all that creative or a goal scorer. As a defensive midfielder he isn't a great tackler or does he read the game very well. He is a good pro and does run around a lot putting effort in although as the "cockney w******" showed that isn't often appreciated by the majority.

he's a good all rounder, can do everything moderately well which means we wont ever need to play wasters Pattison again

I have to say I won't be too impressed if Dyer's replacement is Smith.  On the plus side Smith is a more hungry player, more tenacious, better finisher (?), two years younger and will likely cost less in wages.  But on the minus side he's nowhere near as quick as Dyer and has less flair.  They're the main differences I can see.  As for similarities, both seem to be injury prone, though perhaps Smith less so then Dyer, and both have excellent stamina.

Seems like a bit of a sideways step to me personally.  But if Sam wants Smith and he gets him I suppose I'll be happy that he's gotten one of his transfer targets.  After all its no good us wishing our manager doesn't sign the players he wants because we don't rate them, trust in Sam!

How's Smith injury prone, he had a horrific injury that wasn't down to his body unlike Dyer who pulls every muscle going, i won't go into detail.

Well I don't know, what is his injury history.  My first thought on him was "a bit injury prone", but I could be wrong.  Of course either way he's not as injury prone as Dyer as I said.  I just had him down as the type of player who will play around 30 games a season rather then 50.

I wont be over the moon with smith, but ill be happy enough.  Midfielder or attacker, which is important for the squad, and i think £6mil would be a fair price.

I think he should be given the benefit of the doubt.

And he's hardly the inept player people are making out

I'd say we now have a better squad than last season.

Last season/This season

Given/Given

Harper/Harper

Srnicek/Krul

Krul/Forster

Carr/fitter Carr

Babayaro/Babayaro

Bramble/Rozehnal

Taylor/Taylor

Moore/Ramage

Ramage/Huntington

Huntington/Edgar

Edgar/No-one

Onyewu/No-one

Solano/Solano

Milner/Milner

Duff/Duff

Shit N'Zogbia/Good N'Zogbia

Dyer/Smith

Parker/Barton

Butt/Butt

Patisson/Geremi

Ameobi/Ameobi

Sibierski/Viduka

injured Owen/fit Owen

Martins/Martins

Luque/Luque

no-one/Carroll

Looking at it like that, we have improved significantly up front and in midfield. Lets face it, we were weak in all areas last season. Assume that our young defenders are one step further up the ladder due to experience. Now add two defenders whom are better than Gooch and Moore (not difficult). Suddenly, all areas are much much much better than they were last season. Not to mention that the versatility of Smith, Geremi, and Solano being able to fill up positions in a crisis.

that would look good if we had more than 1 capable defender in the entire c****** squad

Still, two more defenders equals better than last season. We cant achieve perfection overnight, we have to improve the team slowly over time.

Surprised at how much negative press Smith is getting. The lads a good versatile player who can play in midfield and up top. How many points have we pissed away over the years, especially away from home, as our supposed flair players- Dyer, Solano, Robert, Jenas, Pievert, Emre etc have gone missing and bottled it. Smith gives every game 100%.

Whats more, he's a top pro, never drinks and hardly likely to drag the clubs name through the mud with his off the field antics.

Spot on. 

agreed.

that would look good if we had more than 1 capable defender in the entire c****** squad

Still, two more defenders equals better than last season. We cant achieve perfection overnight, we have to improve the team slowly over time.

yes but there's slowly and there's going into the new season with 1 established defender

Rozehnal and Taylor are both capable defenders.

Even though I loath him, you have to count Carr as established as well.

Its amazing how quick we can sign a  player when he's NOT a defender :lol:

Like I said earlier in the thread, defenders dont want to join a joke defence. We have to show that we are improving defensively before they will want to join.

Carr looked good against Juve, but he's got some way to go to convince me he's actually a capable defender.

Carr looked good against Juve, but he's got some way to go to convince me he's actually a capable defender.

Difference between capable and established.

Taylor is not yet at a level i'd call dependable

Carr (exception of decent games against nothing wingers) is an awful excuse for a defender

call me crazy.

but does anyone else think smith could get the armband?

im sure sam said the other day he hadnt yet made his choice, and it could go to a new signing?

That is a very good, but very scary shout.

The defence picks itself, but I certainly can predict any of the team selections versus Bolton.