Newcastle 3 - 2 Everton - 07/10/07 - Post match reaction from page 16

Guest Invicta_Toon

just got back, enrique was solid enough, looks hard to beat, although he had a few 'continental' moments where he wanted to much time but thats to be expected. faye was f****** class, i dont care what people say about free kicks, it was 50-50 all day and he won more of them, smith had a good game, put himself about and held the ball up well at times, most importantly, if owen is fit, owen plays, i'm a fan of martins but i'm sorry like, they are worlds apart in quality, owen created more in 15 minutes than oba did in 75, his build up play is superb and i just cant understand people who say anything else, i can only comment on what i see on the pitch and consistently that is owen finding good positions, keeping the ball and finding an opponent, f*** the haters

I thought Faye had a good game which he spoiled himself with his grappling, no way were they 50-50.  He was penalised once or twice for nothing but I think the ref was just expecting him to pull in the end, try watching him later on.

How many freekicks did Faye give away because I didn't think he gave away that many at all, the only one that springs to mind was in the first half which was 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. I thought he was excellent.

He seemed to give quite a few away, the TV will prove it one way or the other.

just got back, enrique was solid enough, looks hard to beat, although he had a few 'continental' moments where he wanted to much time but thats to be expected. faye was f****** class, i dont care what people say about free kicks, it was 50-50 all day and he won more of them, smith had a good game, put himself about and held the ball up well at times, most importantly, if owen is fit, owen plays, i'm a fan of martins but i'm sorry like, they are worlds apart in quality, owen created more in 15 minutes than oba did in 75, his build up play is superb and i just cant understand people who say anything else, i can only comment on what i see on the pitch and consistently that is owen finding good positions, keeping the ball and finding an opponent, f*** the haters

I thought Faye had a good game which he spoiled himself with his grappling, no way were they 50-50.  He was penalised once or twice for nothing but I think the ref was just expecting him to pull in the end, try watching him later on.

hmm, ok, at the end of the day though if we're up against a team like everton you've gotta expect your centre halves to put a physical shift in for you and i thought he was superb, tbh the ref was at fault more than faye was, i'm not one to often stereotypically slag the ref, but he had an absolute stinker

just got back, enrique was solid enough, looks hard to beat, although he had a few 'continental' moments where he wanted to much time but thats to be expected. faye was fucking class, i dont care what people say about free kicks, it was 50-50 all day and he won more of them, smith had a good game, put himself about and held the ball up well at times, most importantly, if owen is fit, owen plays, i'm a fan of martins but i'm sorry like, they are worlds apart in quality, owen created more in 15 minutes than oba did in 75, his build up play is superb and i just cant understand people who say anything else, i can only comment on what i see on the pitch and consistently that is owen finding good positions, keeping the ball and finding an opponent, fuck the haters

Owen is in a different class to Martins 70/80% of the time.

hmm, ok, at the end of the day though if we're up against a team like everton you've gotta expect your centre halves to put a physical shift in for you and i thought he was superb, tbh the ref was at fault more than faye was, i'm not one to often stereotypically slag the ref, but he had an absolute stinker

I think we had 4 defenders playing today who can become a very good defence and Faye is one of them, they just need games together.

The Everton fans were shit today, ours were too but you expect that from home fans, the Everton lot didn't make any noise until they scored and were even quiet when it was 0-0, as soon as Emre scored they all left. Worst fans we've had at SJP this season.

Its been the total opposite the last few games though, Owen had been s*** all game then oba came on and set up winners and scored goals, but i don't agree with the statement as oba was dangerous today.

As for Owen today he was ok but he made no effort to run had sokme dodgy touches etc, he is good but his intentions are questionnable, for me it was all emre when he came on. But oba was a danger all game, and they didn't really have much of an answer to his pace, (what was with the booing when he came off???)

Faye was man of the match by far but somehow cacapa got it

pretty solid first half performance but what the hell happened in the second half? we got ripped to pieces

got lucky to grab 3 points, but a win is a win no matter how the goals go in  :cheesy:

emre (a playmaker) changed the game, thats why we need him or barton to play every week from now on

Its been the total opposite the last times though, Owen had been s*** all game then oba came on and set up winners and scored goals, but i don't agree with the statement as oba was dangerous today.

As for Owen today he was abit poor really didn't look very good, he made no effort to run had sokme dodgy touches etc, he is good but his intentions are questionnable, for me it was all emre when he came on. But oba was a danger all game, and they didn't really have much of an answer to his pace, (what was with the booing when he came off???)

Owen looked class for the limited time he was on the pitch, my guess is that the booing was because of Martins coming off, I thought Smith should have come off.

Its been the total opposite the last few games though, Owen had been s*** all game then oba came on and set up winners and scored goals, but i don't agree with the statement as oba was dangerous today.

As for Owen today he was ok but he made no effort to run had sokme dodgy touches etc, he is good but his intentions are questionnable, for me it was all emre when he came on. But oba was a danger all game, and they didn't really have much of an answer to his pace, (what was with the booing when he came off???)

no effort to run? what on earth does that mean? are you suggesting that he never moved quicker than a walking pace? what about when he chased hard into the corner to prevent a goal kick, doesnt that count? his movement looked great to me, he'd only been on 2 minutes before he'd slotted a lovely ball in for milner on the left and linked up well with emre and put him through on goal. and martins, a danger, you reckon? in my book a bloke that misses three 1 on 1's in 3 games is anything but a danger, as i've already said i'm a fan of martins but as an all round player he's nowhere near owen.

Given 5 - poor

Beye 5 - out of position quite a lot, struggled once johnson came on, seems quite soft for such a tall player, poor game overall

Enrique 6 - promising. showed a bit of strength, went forward well, not the fastest and struggles to get back into position after forays upfield

Cacapa 6 - decent, willl have to see the game again to make a proper analysis

Faye 7 - won everything in the air, ref was needlessly harsh on him imo

Milner 3 - did nothing, on the one occasion he actually beat a player he shouldve put an early cross into the box instead, messed up attacking positions every time he got the ball

Geremi - 6 fought well, won most in the air, got to second balls very well, especially from the forward, covered the back line, doubled up on everton wingers, restricted arteta's influence

Butt - 7 as good as Geremi in general play but well taken goal and pushed up better than usual, not much in the way of creativity tho

N'Zogbia - 5 did fairly little tho out of position, cut inside to good effect on a few occasions

Martins - 6.5 our most dangerous and creative player for most the match, unusually full of intelligent runs and good control, most our good opportunities fashioned between him and Smith bringing others into play, bad miss within 5 mins, worried lescott in the first half, disappeared in the 2nd

Smith - 6 probably his best match for us in his "natural" position, some excellent link play with martins, but never looked like scoring in a million years, didn't get into dangerous positions at all, looks like a player without a proper role, perhaps shouldve been subbed rather than martins

owen - 8 good goal, intelligent play, kept the ball well, good little understanding with emre

emre - 9 his impact speaks for itself, has to put an end to the geremi-butt mediocrity.

Its been the total opposite the last times though, Owen had been s*** all game then oba came on and set up winners and scored goals, but i don't agree with the statement as oba was dangerous today.

As for Owen today he was abit poor really didn't look very good, he made no effort to run had sokme dodgy touches etc, he is good but his intentions are questionnable, for me it was all emre when he came on. But oba was a danger all game, and they didn't really have much of an answer to his pace, (what was with the booing when he came off???)

Owen looked class for the limited time he was on the pitch, my guess is that the booing was because of Martins coming off, I thought Smith should have come off.

Was it not the Everton fans booing Owen?

Given 5 - poor

Beye 5 - out of position quite a lot, struggled once johnson came on, seems quite soft for such a tall player, poor game overall

Enrique 6 - promising. showed a bit of strength, went forward well, not the fastest and struggles to get back into position after forays upfield

Milner 3 - did nothing, on the one occasion he actually beat a player he shouldve put an early cross into the box instead, messed up attacking positions every time he got the ball

Geremi - 6 fought well, won most in the air, got to second balls very well, especially from the forward, covered the back line, doubled up on everton wingers, restricted arteta's influence

Butt - 7 as good as Geremi in general play but well taken goal and pushed up better than usual, not much in the way of creativity tho

N'Zogbia - 5 did fairly little tho out of position, cut inside to good effect on a few occasions

Martins - 6.5 our most dangerous and creative player for most the match, unusually full of intelligent runs and good control, most our good opportunities fashioned between him and Smith bringing others into play, bad miss within 5 mins, worried lescott in the first half, disappeared in the 2nd

Smith - 6 probably his best match for us in his "natural" position, some excellent link play with martins, but never looked like scoring in a million years, didn't get into dangerous positions at all, looks like a player without a proper role, perhaps shouldve been subbed rather than martins

owen - 8 good goal, intelligent play, kept the ball well, good little understanding with emre

emre - 9 his impact speaks for itself, has to put an end to the geremi-butt mediocrity.

Let's hope so. blueyes.gif

no, there was definite booing directed at martins leaving the pitch from our fans

Martins priovides something totally different to owen, although there both small, ther quite different players and we need to keep them both, and keep them both happy.

Although i thought smith played better today his tackles are still mental. Even when he was booked he was still flying in,  very suprised he hasnt picked up a red card this season. Needs to learn to stay on his feet

no, there was definite booing directed at martins leaving the pitch from our fans

i thought it was booing directed at sam for taking martins off

I don't know if they started it but if they did they were followed by a few of our idiots, it sounded as if it was coming from all around the ground to me.

i thought it was booing directed at sam for taking martins off

thats what i meant, badly worded

Given 5 - poor

couldnt agreee less..... i like martins, but he becomes lazy especially in the second half

i like him, but whats with the whole show of smooching around after a miss and trot pass the fans arms on hips

hes not intelligent at all, passing is poor (although has improved this year) his greatest threat is pace and hes got good control once the balls down and some skill......

his own pace creates his own chances...shame hes awfull at finishing...he should of had two today.. and against arsenal

dont get me wrong i like him, but he needs to finish more often.... if he did he'd score 20+ easily

intelligence comes the more he plays and hes slowly getting better

^Martins won most aerial balls today, and did well when we played to his feet as well. everton generally stood off martins as they knew Smith didn't have the pace to benefit from Martins' knock-ons or through passes. i thought the pair of them were the main creative force in the 1st half, most of our attacking play coming from those two having a good understanding, holding it up well and bringing others into the game. 2nd half both of them faded out of the game and we needed owen and emre to bring a fresh impetus to the side. he should've scored today but that's the part of his game i'd criticise today, the lack of finesse in his game, rather than his general play which was good.