Newcastle 1 - 0 Sampdoria (friendly) - post match reaction from page 24

NSG

www.physioroom.com  saying 'no return date' for Shay. Lets hope Harper doesn't get injured, or we're screwed!

He's not getting a scan until tomorrow today, he could be back for Bolton.

Guest 22bnw

www.physioroom.com  saying 'no return date' for Shay. Lets hope Harper doesn't get injured, or we're screwed!

Steady on mate, he's not even had his scan yet! :lol:

:celb:

6 or 7 years ago Harper was my favourite player and it pains me to say this but i don't like our chances with him in goal. A cock-up never seems to be far round the corner with him these days

Only real issue I have is with his kicking. I think he's a Premiership standard keeper other than that.

6 or 7 years ago Harper was my favourite player and it pains me to say this but i don't like our chances with him in goal. A cock-up never seems to be far round the corner with him these days

Only real issue I have is with his kicking. I think he's a Premiership standard keeper other than that.

He wouldn't be too bad if his overall distribution was better, every time he gets the ball he just hoofs it long instead of passing out to the defence to build up play.

I remember when he made his debut against Wimbledon in 1998 ( Ferguson's debut) and everyone was saying how imense his kicking was compared to Given's

what a waste, what a waste

Given still can't kick, too often it's picked up by the oppostion on or near the half way line.

I remember when he made his debut against Wimbledon in 1998 ( Ferguson's debut) and everyone was saying how imense his kicking was compared to Given's

what a waste, what a waste

Given still can't kick, too often it's picked up by the oppostion on or near the half way line.

trust me i'm aware of that

just Harper's kicking seems almost symbolic of his career. It rusted

Guest unrealterrorist

Yeah dont panic physioroom all so says "Where no return date is indicated, because of the nature of the injury, it is not possible to give an accurate return date" Which Technically means wait for the scan. :lol:

I don't understand the mentality of players like Harper if I'm honest.

Knows he's got fuck all chance of getting a game here yet he stays. Could easily be playing regularly for another Premiership team, or at least have the chance to prove he's up to it. But he stays here.

Easy way out IMO.

Knows he's got f*** all chance of getting a game here yet he stays. Could easily be playing regularly for another Premiership team, or at least have the chance to prove he's up to it. But he stays here.

Easy way out IMO.

Some people prefer not to move away from where they were born.

Knows he's got f*** all chance of getting a game here yet he stays. Could easily be playing regularly for another Premiership team, or at least have the chance to prove he's up to it. But he stays here.

Easy way out IMO.

Some people prefer not to move away from where they were born.

Not like he's moving to Bahrain for the rest of his life though, just a few years a bit further south to try and fully use the gifts and abilities he has.

Guest Texasmag

Sorry, suppose it's because I prefer Shay in goals rather than Harper.

Easy way out IMO.

I don't see anything wrong with it.

He probably does enjoy being at the club and would rather have his 9 or 10 games a year than 30 or 40 at a smaller club.  He might lack ambition, but Harper is never going to be first choice at Barcelona.  The best he could hope for would be the No. 1 at Derby or Sunderland.  Or in the Championship.  And let's face it, receiving a very large yearly salary for training a few hours each week and then sitting on a bench for 90 min on Saturday afternoon isn't bad.  I could very easily see myself being content with that. 

Easy way out IMO.

He probably does enjoy being at the club and would rather have his 9 or 10 games a year than 30 or 40 at a smaller club.  He might lack ambition, but Harper is never going to be first choice at Barcelona.  The best he could hope for would be the No. 1 at Derby or Sunderland.  Or in the Championship.  And let's face it, receiving a very large yearly salary for training a few hours each week and then sitting on a bench for 90 min on Saturday afternoon isn't bad.  I could very easily see myself being content with that. 

He'll have retired in about 4 years time and he'll look back on his career. It'll take him 30 seconds.

Easy way out IMO.

He'll have retired in about 4 years time and he'll look back on his career. It'll take him 30 seconds.

The house(s) and car(s) it provided for him will last a lot longer.  He did his bit, and he can be proud that he played for a Premiership team and in Europe.  Not many players manage that. 

You could say the same about Given though.  Yes, he plays more.  So what?  A goalkeeper of his quality could be at a club that wins trophies.  And definitely at a club in the Champions League.  I just wouldn't knock loyalty, because it is a very rare quality these days.

Easy way out IMO.

The house(s) and car(s) it provided for him will last a lot longer.  He did his bit, and he can be proud that he played for a Premiership team and in Europe.  Not many players manage that. 

You could say the same about Given though.  Yes, he plays more.  So what?  A goalkeeper of his quality could be at a club that wins trophies.  And definitely at a club in the Champions League.  I just wouldn't knock loyalty, because it is a very rare quality these days.

That's fair enough. I don't see it like that at all but....there you go!  :lol:

I just think he's wasted his short time as a footballer by not having the ambition to go out and perform every week. He's not a bad keeper and could have played hundreds of games at another club. You interpret this as loyalty, I interpret it as a lack of ambition. I don't hate him, I've just got no respect at all for him because he's taken the option to sacrifice his career rather than be the best he possibly could be.

yeah too right. Harper played it safe when he could have stuck his neck out, joined another club and try to make his mark as a goalkeeper

not like he didn't have the ability. At 24 when he first broke into the first team picture I considered him a better all-round keeper than Given. But that all went to hell. He deserves no respect and if he has anything at all about him he'll go through a massive stage of regret when he finally decides he's had enough of bench warming.

Shak & Ronaldo -

You are both out of line on this one. He actually has regretted his decision and if you look at the Chopra to Cardiff thread (I can't be bothered) - Chops actually asked Harper what he thought and his words were "Don't make the same mistake I did." - it was one of teh reasons CHosp left.  He loves this club and he waited it out too long - in short he screwed up. But honestly the only person who has suffered here is Harper himself while all of us have reaped the benefit of him staying. We have no right to criticize.

The whole "I could never respect people who wouldn't push themselves to playing higher than the Newcatle Reserves" is uncannily similar to the posts in General Chat that start with "Jessica Alba is a bit of a minger if I am honest and I could/have done better."

Shak & Ronaldo -

You are both out of line on this one. He actually has regretted his decision and if you look at the Chopra to Cardiff thread (I can't be bothered) - Chops actually asked Harper what he thought and his words were "Don't make the same mistake I did." - it was one of teh reasons CHosp left.  He loves this club and he waited it out too long - in short he screwed up. But honestly the only person who has suffered here is Harper himself while all of us have reaped the benefit of him staying. We have no right to criticize.

The whole "I could never respect people who wouldn't push themselves to playing higher than the Newcatle Reserves" is uncannily similar to the posts in General Chat that start with "Jessica Alba is a bit of a minger if I am honest and I could/have done better."

shut-up

Harper had to potential great things as a footballer but chose not to take the risk of leaving nufc, he's deserves zero repsect for that