Newcastle 1 - 0 Sampdoria (friendly) - post match reaction from page 24

NSG

If Allardyce has learned anything from today I hope it is that we are better with pace, during the first half I thought time had stood still.  4-4-2 is still the best formation for us, Viduka and Smith should not be allowed to play up front together and Shola is rightly called stroller by some people.

Thought Carr played well. No, honestly.

I thought the same, he did nothing wrong at all.

One mix up with Solano but I will let him off.

Who knows he could be a decent player for us next season  :kasper:

I knew i would get some smart arse haha.

Couldn't work out if was just using that in place of his headset. If not it would be reasonable to assume he was doing other deals.

Couldn't see him making a personal phone call while mort was next to him.

We reckon he was ordering a dominoes and it hadnt arrived so he was kicking off.

Given - 6 - had nothing to do, shame about his injury.

Carr - 5 - caught out of position way too much offered nothing.

Roz - 7 - 1 fantastic tackle stands out, his reading of the game is something else.

Taylor - 7 - solid, some good headers.

Zoggy - 7 - Was decent at LB but when he was moved further up he made some great runs and looks much better.

Milner - 7 - The usual good shift some nice skills.

Butt - 7 - Was a bit of a headless chicken at times, just aimlessly running around, but he gives his all and doesn't shank a tackle, spread the ball well.

Geremi - 7.5 - A couple of bad touches but his effort and tackles were really good, has brilliant vision and always spreads it wide, nice corner for the goal.

Solano - 6 - Was a bit quiet at times but his class is still evident.

Smith - 8 - MOTM, was average up front but was class in midfield, nice touches, good tackles, and a classy header after a surging run.

Viduka - 6.5 - His control is absolutely brilliant, slow but he shields the ball well and is a very intelligent player, has to start upfront as much as possible this season with either Owen or Martins.

Ameobi - 6 - Quite lazy at times but did some good flick ons and looked lively enough.

Martins - 7 - Played well on the wing but its obvious it doesn't suit him, had good control, got back to defend, and tried hard, but he is a striker that is obvious. His chance was not as easy as it looked as the ball was cannoned at him but he caught it a little late so it hit the outside of his foot and went up and hit the bar, still should have scored.

Ramage - 6 - Solid enough but he is still s***.

Harper - 7 - had to make a few decent saves but again didn't have alot to do.

We're asking for trouble if we don't sign a right back.

I can see him starting the season well and turn shocking after the window closes.

can invision the same thing, in fact, i'd put money on it

Sampdoria look a decent side, wasn't a bad game overall.

Some of our defending wasn't the best, Taylor looks half-a-yard off the pace at the moment, second best to balls you'd normally see him winning. Another decent, tidy game from Rozehnal. I don't think he's anything special but he looks a decent, consistent defender, comfortable with a ball at his feet, dominant in the air and maintains his concentration for 90 minutes. Could be a very astute signing for the money we paid, but time will tell how he deals with better strikers.

Carr has had a good pre-season, but you just never know when his next injury is around the corner. I've always maintained he isn't as bad as people make out, he's just an average Premiership full back, held back by injuries and laziness, who holds a team challenging for top 6 back. He's definitely lost weight, looks fitter and sharper and looks up for the challenge ahead, but he has a lot to do to convince the fans. Another good performance from him today, Sampdoria got little change out of him. We should give credit where it's due, we've looked a lot more balanced with him in decent form, Solano may be a much more gifted footballer but he isn't a natural right and you can see the added balance we have when people are playing in their favoured positions.

Geremi was a class act once again, could turn out to be the signing of the summer.

Milner's crossing was very good, swung in a couple of brilliant balls.

Smith had a good game, hardly put a foot wrong and should have had two goals because he was onside.

In terms of the team, I think the biggest change has been our off the ball play, we look a lot more hungry to win it back than we ever did under previous managers and you know the training is paying off when you see Carr charging up and down the wing.

Bad news about Given, hope he's alright for Bolton. It was his groin again apparently, doesn't sound good :S

Guest Toonie

I think we should sell Ameobi. He's not good enough to play for us and now that we have Owen, Martins, Viduka, Smith, Luque and Carroll we really don't need any cover.

Im not surprised Luque was pissed. he scores 3 times in 2 games and doesn't even play a minute in the next match. What's he to do?

Did we switch to a 4-3-3? I didn't see the match. Who were the midfield three?

Guest Knightrider

Sure Ameobi felt a niggle not long after he came on, was even limping a bit, although seemed to run it off later on. Thought he did canny myself, especially in the air, lacks sharpness and genuine fitness though which is understandable.

Sure Ameobi felt a niggle not long after he came on, was even limping a bit, although seemed to run it off later on. Thought he did canny myself, especially in the air, lacks sharpness and genuine fitness though which is understandable.

Shola struggled with any sort of control and his pace is slightly faster than stopped, for parts he seemed as if he was just out for a walk in the park, it could be fitness but I've seen it all before.

At one point in the second half, i noticed Milner and Zog swapping attacking and defensive duties when Zog had pushed on, in some sort of 'newcastle players using their heads and thinking about what they were doing ' shocker. Odd as hell and i presume it happened by accident.