José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Ben Arfa is already on wages that fits the structure.

But we can wave the structure good bye if me make an exception with Enrique. Then we'll risk unsettling HBA and Tiote..Do people want that?

Yeah, as I said, both positives and negatives.

I was mainly talking about this forum in my first comment. All we are basing this on is a few vague comments Enrique made in january, Phil f***ing Thompson in a Norwegian football studio, and Enriques apparent body language since he hasn't smiled quite as often as he used to, right? Or am I missing something?

Either way, it's going to be interesting to see how this place reacts to vague speculation when Colo's up, especially since he is the highest earner in the club.

I'd actually be more concerned about Colo. He's going to be in this exact same situation in a year's time and he's on ridiculous wages that we're clearly not going to offer to him again. You'd hope he'd be willing to budge a bit given his age, but doesn't he need to halve his wages to stay under our wage structure?

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that we might even try to get him off the wage bill if we get something like a 10m offer this summer. Could surprise everyone by selling Colo and keeping Enrique.

There's absolutely no evidence that we're looking to "sell all our best players and replace them on the cheap."

First of all, we've only sold Carroll. Second, we haven't replaced him :razz:

It's a bit difficult when we sold him on the 11th hour on transfer deadline day :)

Proof will be this summer.

There's so much to be proven this summer man. Hope for the best but keep those pitchforks and shotguns at the ready.

I was mainly talking about this forum in my first comment. All we are basing this on are a few vague comments Enrique made in january, Phil f***ing Thompson in a Norwegian football studio, and Enriques apparent body language since he hasn't smiled quite as often as he used to, right? Or am I missing something?

Either way, it's going to be interesting to see how this place reacts to vague speculation when Colo's up, especially since he is the highest earner in the club.

It's really based on even less than that. Basically it's just the fact that people expect Mike Ashley to do everything they don't want, in this case sell Enrique.

Yeah, I'm really torn on the subject.

On one hand, I want to keep the core group of players, but on the other hand I can see why we aren't in a position to give out ridiculous contracts.

The club doesn't want to sell him. They have to, since he's refusing to sign a new contract. Enrique is replaceable imo. He's a good lb, but not the best in the league.

As if we're in a position to attract the best in the league.  :lol:

But is that our aim?The english players have an inflated price.  As Carr said, we have a high status in other european leagues. That we have to use to our advantage..It's possible to find good players abroad if proper groundwork is done.  A contract with us will for them be relatively lucrative compared to their previous salaries. And the club has already proven through  Tiote that renegotiation will take place if players do well. I cannot see the harm by following such an strategy.

I'd actually be more concerned about Colo. He's going to be in this exact same situation in a year's time and he's on ridiculous wages that we're clearly not going to offer to him again. You'd hope he'd be willing to budge a bit given his age, but doesn't he need to halve his wages to stay under our wage structure?

No, don't think there's any reason to believe that personally.

Just when we have a core group of talented players to build a squad around and a good team spirit, we look to cash in and build a team with cheaper players.

I can see some logic in the Carroll deal but the selling of key players absolutely has to stop there, we got enough money off that deal without the need to sell more. We've got the core of a good squad and money to spend, we should be looking forward and not dismantling the team further. We are where we are in the table because we have four or five good players who aren't injury prone - take them out and look at the rest of the squad, it's kids, has-beens and never-has-beens. Relegation fodder in other words.

If we lose Enrique on the back of the Carroll deal, it'll cause other ambitious and talented players to look for the exit door. Players like Barton, Ben Arfa, Tiote, Coloccini.

Enrique is the best left back we've had in a long, long time. There may be better left backs going forward, but defensively there are almost none better in this league, and certainly none we can attract. I don't see how any fan would be up for losing a player of his quality. His contract situation is forcing our hand but the club have to do everything possible to keep players like him because they are the reason we are 9th and not 19th.

100% spot on.

Yeah but... all that money.

Mmm, money.

They might want to sell, but that's hardly a reason not to want to get him signed up to a new contract.

Shit, that's why Enrique won't sign a contract.

If he signs then we'll try and sell him even more actively, so by not signing he is showing his desire to stay! :lol:

/'bout as logical and evidence based as most of this thread.

If Tiote and HBA agreed to contracts that were within the mythical 'wage structure' then I'm sure Jose should as well.

He's a good player, but at the end of the day he's a LB and they aren't that important.

Having a decent set of full backs can make a lot of difference to a side.  Especially one that can defend and attack like Jose.

If Tiote and HBA agreed to contracts that were within the mythical 'wage structure' then I'm sure Jose should as well.

He's a good player, but at the end of the day he's a LB and they aren't that important.

Having a decent set of full backs can make a lot of difference to a side.  Especially one that can defend and attack like Jose.

Full backs are especially of value in a 4-5-1 formation because they're keeping the width. But that doesn't matter that much for Enrique since he's too inefficient in attack anyway.

Personally I think fullbacks are as important as any other position these days. Most teams don't play with out and out hug the touchline wingers these days so overlapping fullbacks are essential to a good team going forward. Jose excels at this as well as being very good defensively.

Guest icemanblue

:lol: Man, I really want to do my best not to pull you up on this shit. 'Too inefficient in attack', man.

Agreed, but would you rate him in a higher wage bracket than either Tiote or HBA?

It's hard to argue against accepting 15 million for a player that wont renew his contract. He was a very shrewd purchase who we only got from Villarreal because they had an undroppable left back at the club. It would be preferable if he went to another league, but these things can't be help. 15 million is a lot of money to find an adequate replacement.

I know it's good to have good fullbacks, but they need to be tidy rather than brilliant IMO.

What I meant was that there would be very little reason to pay Jose more than Tiote or HBA, for argument's sake.

Of course. I'd be shocked if he asked for more than them though.

I know it's good to have good fullbacks, but they need to be tidy rather than brilliant IMO.

What I meant was that there would be very little reason to pay Jose more than Tiote or HBA, for argument's sake.

Of course. I'd be shocked if he asked for more than them though.

Shouldn't be a problem then, he should be signing!

For the record, I wouldn't hate Jose if he left for something like 10~15 million.

It's been a good few years, he stayed with us in the Championship, and would be leaving us with a tidy profit.

I'd rather keep him, but I could live with it.

The part that's going to hurt is if he goes to Liverpool, they'll act like all of a sudden he's the best LB in the league. Then he'll get capped two days later and they'll take all the fucking credit.

:lol: Man, I really want to do my best not to pull you up on this s***. 'Too inefficient in attack', man.

He's too inefficient.  Often his runs ends up  in nothing: eg he has to backtrack or he hits a crosser that's no good. .  He's had a couple of good crossers that our attackers should have converted but overall he's never involved in our goals.. If you bother you can check his assist ratio, I think it's very low.

For the record, I wouldn't hate Jose if he left for something like 10~15 million.

It's been a good few years, he stayed with us in the Championship, and would be leaving us with a tidy profit.

I'd rather keep him, but I could live with it.

Made me feel a bit sick, that post.