José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

We've got 6 months to convince him to sign a new contract, not impossible.

That's just for clubs abroad thankfully, clubs in England can't negotiate till 6 weeks before the contract ends

Indeed. However, I feel a lot of interest will come from abroad.

Guest Roger Kint

Or we have 6 months to a year playing a LB who is going through the motions while his teammates give 100%. He wouldnt be the first player to do that. Seriously cant see us changing his mind if he goes down this route imo

The thread title change has made all the difference, much more confident he's staying now!

We've got 6 months to convince him to sign a new contract, not impossible.

Indeed, especially if the club is confident that he's going to be starting the new campaign. But imo, he's definitely off come next summer if not this :undecided:

It would be nice to see him with this for the whole of next season though.

Or we have 6 months to a year playing a LB who is going through the motions while his teammates give 100%. He wouldnt be the first player to do that. Seriously cant see us changing his mind if he goes down this route imo

He wouldn't be the first player to raise his game near the end of his contract to impress his next club either.

Guest Roger Kint

He wouldn't be the first player to raise his game near the end of his contract to impress his next club either.

True, personally i dont see it as worth the risk losing him for nowt then being hit with a bill for his replacement all based on the hope he is going to be 100% professional. Performances towards the end of the season certainly dipped which is my biggest concern.

Guest Roger Kint

Perceived dip or not, I don't think we can get better at present. So I'd rather keep him. Simple as that.

Fair enough, i hope we are happy with whatever we get next year as it could be a large part of our budget due to getting no fee for Enrique. Well unless we sell off all our good players next summer....

Guest Roger Kint

Obviously if we know he wants out I can't blame the club for cashing in, but otherwise keep keep keep.

Wouldnt he be signing a contract if he wanted to stay? Or the very minimum actually giving the club the merest hint of encouragement rather than nothing?

A temporary dip in form is nothing IMO, he's still one of the best LBs I've seen in recent years.

Obviously if we know he wants out I can't blame the club for cashing in, but otherwise keep keep keep.

Perceived dip or not, I don't think we can get better at present. So I'd rather keep him. Simple as that.

Fair enough, i hope we are happy with whatever we get next year as it could be a large part of our budget due to getting no fee for Enrique. Well unless we sell off all our good players next summer....

Don't worry, I'm assured that what we bring in by selling our best players doesn't form the transfer kitty anyway.

Guest Roger Kint

Don't worry, I'm assured that what we bring in by selling our best players doesn't form the transfer kitty anyway.

Ok

Wouldnt he be signing a contract if he wanted to stay? Or the very minimum actually giving the club the merest hint of encouragement rather than nothing?

Yeah, probably, or maybe he's just keeping his options open. All I meant was that unless he's actually 100% set on leaving this summer we should be trying everything to retain him. I think it would be too easy just to say "he hasn't signed yet, let's sell him ASAP."

Obviously I don't know the situation or Jose's thinking.

Guest Roger Kint

Yeah, probably, or maybe he's just keeping his options open. All I meant was that unless he's actually 100% set on leaving this summer we should be trying everything to retain him. I think it would be too easy just to say "he hasn't signed yet, let's sell him ASAP."

I didnt say sell him asap but that decision will have to be made at some stage. As romantic as keeping him for a season sounds we all know Ashley wont agree, can see this develop very quickly after Monday when he is back to training.

As long as he was honest about the situation, i'd let him leave for a free next summer. It lets us plan for next summers replacement.

It's not as if we are going to see any money we get for him anyway.

I didnt say sell him asap but that decision will have to be made at some stage. As romantic as keeping him for a season sounds we all know Ashley wont agree, can see this develop very quickly after Monday when he is back to training.

Yeah, I didn't mean you were personally saying that.

Just hope it gets resolved soon TBH. Slightly encouraged by how quiet things have gone around him, there's obviously not massive clubs beating his door down yet.

Slightly encouraged by how quiet things have gone around him, there's obviously not massive clubs beating his door down yet.

I wonder If he's having second thoughts about leaving if there hasn't been any major developments (that we know of) regarding clubs bidding for him. It's been widely known for 6 months that he could leave so maybe interest isn't as high as he thought/hoped?

I still think he'll leave this summer or next but I also thought he'd have gone by this stage. As usual, your thoughts would be appreciated, Jose. Pretty please  :rolleyes:

I doubt it would get to that stage because I think any club who want him would have got him or an alternative before that point but I wouldn't be overly surprised if you were right.

Imho thats what Liverpool will do