José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Someone put up a Youtube vid a while back with comments such as "who wouldn't want Smith in there side?" "Absolute warrior" and such s*** like that. I was nearly sick.

Aye, I commented on that video (may have been a different one with similar comments) slating the fuck out of him and people were stunned.

Did anyone really expect that we'd buy nobody this summer though? Some signings were a given, especially with the club selling Nolan and making it clear Barton wasn't really wanted anymore.

I'm hopeful the new players will do well, but the odds of any of them being top class difference makers that transform us into a Top 6 team are slim to be honest.

If it is a case that Jose is waiting to see our ambition then he's right to wait a while more IMO, though I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's already decided he's leaving.

How many people expected us to get three very good players in by mid June though?

You and Jose are well out of order, the club has shown massive ambition in bringing the 3 new players in and we've now got the same size squad that we finished last season with if you discount Ireland.  Oh, and we've spent something like £1 million but that isn't a measure of our ambition.

No I don't agree, I think the better move would have been to keep Kuqi, Campbell and Nolan and not even bring in those three players.  We'd still have the same size squad, therefore we'd be no worse off obviously as squad size is all that matters. and we'd have saved £1m.  We could then leave our transfer moves to the right time, which is surely the last day of the transfer window.  That would put us in the enviable position of spending £30m on three desperation signings and we could all celebrate the sense of ambition that comes from spending lots of cash on overpriced flops :celb:

So what, teams should only sign bosman transfers then?

I do think we've gotten better so far this summer, but if you're honestly happy with this as the bulk of our summer activity then I don't know what to tell you. It's a good start, but in terms of showing ambition to challenge for Europe then it's not enough yet, especially given what happened in January.

Shak man, think you're conflating the issues. Nobody is content with the signings so far. But the fact that we've got some good signings and by mid June (when most other clubs are doing nothing) does show that we are heading in the right direction and that we are ambitious. Whether that will be enough to get into Europe, nobody knows, in fact given how unpredictable the Premiership is, we won't know till end of the season next year.

Now for Jose, as a player who is not just a mercenary (hopefully), he has a moral obligation to the fans and club. If he is waiting for a Drogba/Torres sort of signing, that's just not going to happen and if he waits till last day of the transfer window before declaring that our deals have not been up to his expectations and he is buggering off, then that is unacceptable. At some point he has to either show some faith that we are heading in the right direction and sign on or just declare that he has his heart somewhere else and request for a transfer. This dilly dallying is not doing him, the club or the fans any favor, well maybe it works well for him coz he can wait it out to get a big club to bid whilst holding us to ransom coz he knows we want him to stay, but that is really unfair on the club and the fans.

Sure we all like Jose, but I can't understand why anyone would take his side against the club. I want him to tell us straight on his plans by early July (hopefully we'll get 1 or two more deals done by then). Then we either have him on board or get the replacement in.

Guest magpie99

He has had long enough now to make his mind up so transfer list him now and start a bidding war with a decision to be made on who gets him by 1st July.

In the meantime, get M'Bengue in from Toulouse in readiness for the USA tour. Might as well finalise young Taylor.

Enough faffing around

Guest neesy111

There are some Newcastle fans that think Smith should be in the England side.  They want their heads decapitated.

Did anyone really expect that we'd buy nobody this summer though? Some signings were a given, especially with the club selling Nolan and making it clear Barton wasn't really wanted anymore.

I'm hopeful the new players will do well, but the odds of any of them being top class difference makers that transform us into a Top 6 team are slim to be honest.

If it is a case that Jose is waiting to see our ambition then he's right to wait a while more IMO, though I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's already decided he's leaving.

How many people expected us to get three very good players in by mid June though?

You and Jose are well out of order, the club has shown massive ambition in bringing the 3 new players in and we've now got the same size squad that we finished last season with if you discount Ireland.  Oh, and we've spent something like £1 million but that isn't a measure of our ambition.

No I don't agree, I think the better move would have been to keep Kuqi, Campbell and Nolan and not even bring in those three players.  We'd still have the same size squad, therefore we'd be no worse off obviously as squad size is all that matters. and we'd have saved £1m.  We could then leave our transfer moves to the right time, which is surely the last day of the transfer window.  That would put us in the enviable position of spending £30m on three desperation signings and we could all celebrate the sense of ambition that comes from spending lots of cash on overpriced flops :celb:

I do think we've gotten better so far this summer, but if you're honestly happy with this as the bulk of our summer activity then I don't know what to tell you. It's a good start, but in terms of showing ambition to challenge for Europe then it's not enough yet, especially given what happened in January.

Shak man, think you're conflating the issues. Nobody is content with the signings so far. But the fact that we've got some good signings and by mid June (when most other clubs are doing nothing) does show that we are heading in the right direction and that we are ambitious. Whether that will be enough to get into Europe, nobody knows, in fact given how unpredictable the Premiership is, we won't know till end of the season next year.

Now for Jose, as a player who is not just a mercenary (hopefully), he has a moral obligation to the fans and club. If he is waiting for a Drogba/Torres sort of signing, that's just not going to happen and if he waits till last day of the transfer window before declaring that our deals have not been up to his expectations and he is buggering off, then that is unacceptable. At some point he has to either show some faith that we are heading in the right direction and sign on or just declare that he has his heart somewhere else and request for a transfer. This dilly dallying is not doing him, the club or the fans any favor, well maybe it works well for him coz he can wait it out to get a big club to bid whilst holding us to ransom coz he knows we want him to stay, but that is really unfair on the club and the fans.

Sure we all like Jose, but I can't understand why anyone would take his side against the club. I want him to tell us straight on his plans by early July (hopefully we'll get 1 or two more deals done by then). Then we either have him on board or get the replacement in.

I'm not taking his side at all, think he should grow some balls and either sign a new deal or else tell us why he isn't.

My point is simply that making three solid, but far from spectacular, signings hardly shows massive ambition and a commitment to using the Carroll sale to improve the team as a whole.

Again, not having a go at the signings we've made because I think they all look like decent deals, I just don't see us having proven our intent this summer yet.

Guest neesy111

There are some Newcastle fans that think Smith should be in the England side.  They want their heads decapitated.

How else would you decapitate someone like? :lol:

:lol:

Guest Slippery Sam

The delay is probably down to Ashley wanting Enrique to put a transfer request (a la Carroll) thus not having to pay him 10% of the transfer fee. Enrique is in no hurry to do it.

He will be in a hurry to do it if any big club is really interested.  The "interest" can cool down very fast especially when there are substitutes in the market.

The longer Enrique holds off, the more Arsenal, Liverpool, Barcelona, etc. sign other left-backs who are available, and the more chance we have of keeping him.

I'd say Enrique is pretty much already available to be fair..

I don't get how they are saying they arent getting any response out of him. Surely they are capable of actually talking to him and he's hasnt been hiding away for the past 4 weeks, they should at least be capable of getting a "yes", "no", or "im keeping my options open" out of him, but Pardew has made out as if he's not getting a word from him.

I know people won't agree with me but i wouldn't mind if Enrique left if we brought in M'bengue. M'bengue has extreme physical qualities and from the few games i've seen he has the potential to become even better than Jose. I'm not saying he will, but he has the potential.

The longer Enrique holds off, the more Arsenal, Liverpool, Barcelona, etc. sign other left-backs who are available, and the more chance we have of keeping him.

Surely he's only holding off until we get an enquiry from one of those clubs you mention?

I don't get how they are saying they arent getting any response out of him. Surely they are capable of actually talking to him and he's hasnt been hiding away for the past 4 weeks, they should at least be capable of getting a "yes", "no", or "im keeping my options open" out of him, but Pardew has made out as if he's not getting a word from him.

I hear that it's just that much harder to break a Spaniard now that waterboarding seems to be frowned upon. :undecided:

No my point is this is an excellent start and much more than anyone would have expected by this stage of the window.  There's no reason to think this is the bulk of our summer activity either.  IMO what we've done so far bodes very well for the rest of the window.

“I’m still hopeful that Enrique – who was a big, big, big, big player for us last year – stays at the football club and we can entice him to stay.

“And obviously we’re still working on that,” he said.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/06/20/alan-pardew-still-hopes-jose-enrique-will-stay-72703-28907589/#ixzz1PpATo2yk

At least he recognizes the sheer quality of Enrique who stands head and shoulders above others who have left, much to the outrage of fat West Ham supporting journalists.

There's no reason to think this is the bulk of our summer activity either. 

well, historically not many clubs in our position bring in 6 new players in the summer so i'd say we're probably at about 50% currently

i think 3 more 'additions' max then 1/1 on sales like enrique if it happens