Bolton 1 - 3 Newcastle United - 11/08/07 - Post match thoughts from page 23

BlufPurdi

Guest elbee909

When's the last time we won away from home on the opening day of the season?  Last I recall was Sheffield Wednesday, Asprilla scored, 2-1 I think it was.

Anyone who watch it give us a summary of who stood out and why?

Midfield was very good in general, Smith-Butt and Geremi are a very physical trio in there and will give anyone a tough time. Geremi's set pieces were a bit disappointing and you could blame him for their goal if you're being uber-critical but all in all a solid first game as captain.

Rozenhal was great, reads the game fantastically and will be a great partner for Taylor if he maintains form like today.

I've said Martins should do well out wide in a 4-3-3 and today shows it very well. Still has a few blonde moments with the ball but took his first goal brilliantly and did well for the second too.

Sam on sky now!

what did he say?

A lot of shite said about the club in the papers lately which hasn't been true.

Wanted to let our football do the talking.

Excellent finishing on our part.

Special mention to Taylor for chesting it off the line.

Glad we've got a week off.

Good performance, really just glad with the win, know that Sam will build on the weak points.  I'm also really pleased that we didn't fold after that first Bolton goal, it really could have gotten hairy down the stretch but we stayed strong.

Guest frazer

Absolutely brilliant - firts half dominance followed by second half consolidation.

All achieved without arguably our best players: Strikers - Owen missing; Midfield - Barton missing; Defence - Enrique missing and Goalkeeper - Shay missing.

I am going to have a good night tonight  :clap:

Guest toonlass

Sam on sky now!

what did he say?

He believes that Roy Keane sexually molests his dog, and talks that we want to re-sign Titus Bramble are wide of the mark.

Anyone who watch it give us a summary of who stood out and why?

Viduka was absolute class, fantastic link up play.

Martins looked very determined, fast, class first goal and his confidence gifted him the second.

Zoggy really looks revitalised, put in a good shift at full back.

Rozenahl looked a decent player, was defensively good but still needs to adapt to the premiership, you could tell he was a class defender but also that he hasn't adapted yet. He seemed confident on the ball, and made some clearances but took too long on the ball once, and also made a defensive error against Kevin Davies which could've resulted in us conceding.

Carr has improved a lot more but still not defensively great, was caught ball-watching once in the first half, then gave Anelka too much room for his goal.

Geremi put in a good performance, the geremi-butt-smith midfield really won the centre of the park in the first half, we only suffered when Bolton stretched us out and added pace in the opening 15 mins of the second half.

Taylor put in a good brave performance, once Rozehnal starts getting used to the league we might have a good central defensive partnership.

EDIT: forgot Milner, I was pleased with Milner, looks as though he as a good footballing brain, linked up well with Smith and he kept linking up and delivering crosses in a very industrious way, leading to his assist for Martins' overhead kick.

Smith would have to be man of the match for me. Went into attack and linked up well with zoggy and milner on the left, always dropped back and defended well, really controlled the central midfield.

We played very, very good first half. Second half, first 10 minutes were shakey but Taylor and Rozehnal are going to be a very good partnership for us, and Shola is still SLOW AS FUCK. Seriously, there is no point in having him here.

Good performance, really just glad with the win, know that Sam will build on the weak points.  I'm also really pleased that we didn't fold after that first Bolton goal, it really could have gotten hairy down the stretch but we stayed strong.

I was watching Soccer Saturday and when I saw the Bolton goal update my heart literally sank.. After all the times last season that we were doing well until the opposition scored a goal, causing our heads to drop, I was pretty worried like.

But it's a thing of the past! Big Sams revolution has started rolling!

Interesting thing in the interview how Sam brought up about changing formation several times to accomodate the change in pace of the game.

Guest toonlass

Why do we have no midweek match?

We were meant to play Arsenal, but they have a championsleague qualifier.

Cheers...

Why do we have no midweek match?

We were meant to play Arsenal, but they have a championsleague qualifier.

Cheers...

Think it's a good thing though, gives us more time for Sam to go over the weak-points of our game as we were very shakey in the first 10-15 mins of the second half. It'll allow our team to blend more into Sam's system as well, so having that extra preparation time could be crucial to our season, the sooner the players become adapted to what Big Sam asks of them, the better.

like everyone else over the moon with an away win on the first dat of the season, as we average about 3 away wins all season this is a fantastic start.

Couple of further signings and every one fit giving Big Sam a selection headache.... most positive i've felt on the opening day for many years. :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb:

Guest VegasToon

Sam on sky now!

what did he say?

He believes that Roy Keane sexually molests his dog, and talks that we want to re-sign Titus Bramble are wide of the mark.

;D

Great start for us.  We played like a team.  Not one player on the pitch not giving their all.

Harper - 7 - Solid. Not much to do though perhaps could've done better on the goal. Maybe.

N'Zogbia - 7 - Impressive display against decent opposition. Interesting prospect at LB.

Taylor - 7- Courageous and solid.

Rozhenhal - 6.5 - May get slated for this, but he looked a little uncomfortable and shaky at times during the second half. That said, it's not unnatural for a Premiership newbie to lose a little composure when faced with an aggressive/wounded Bolton. Promising though.

Carr - 6 - A team is only as strong as its weakest link.

Milner - 7.5 - Industrious and effervescent performance. A real danger. Getting some end product. :thup:

Geremi - 8 - Immense. Excellent bridge from defence to attack.

Smith - 7 - Archetypal Alan Smith, and he'll get better as he goes.

Butt - 7.5 - Efficiently kept things ticking over. His redemption from his horror first season is completely complete.

Viduka - 6.5 - A little anonymous for me, didn't seem too matchfit. Hm.

Martins - 8 - A difficult second half, but gets the 8 for having the quality that he does. Magical overhead kick.

Subs:

Ameobi: Thankless tast getting battered chasing balls no one could win against two overly-physical defenders.

Ramage: No time.

Solano: Did okay. Good calming influence.