Newcastle United 0-0 Aston Villa - 18/08/07 - Post Match reaction from Page 12

James

Harper - 6 - didn't have too much to do really, one very good save.

Carr - 6 - Solid, although didn't offer much going forward

Rozehnal - 7 - Very calm and played well, although sometimes he just needs to get the ball away

Taylor - 5 - Wasn't great, looked quite uncomfortable at times

N'Zogbia - 6 - Did okay defensively, should have used the space on the left better

Milner - 7 - Tried hard to create, final ball wasn't great

Smith - 6 - Covered the pitch well but nothing special

Geremi - 6 - A little sloppy towards the end, poor set pieces

Butt -  6 - Fine defensively but gave the ball away a lot

Martins - 5 - No threat at all, I'm still worried by the way he runs with the ball...instead of just knocking the ball past a defender and running he seems to slow it down to walking pace and try and use clever footwork

Viduka - 6 - Good work rate but looked a little isolated up front on his own. Villa defenders handled him well mind.

Subs: Owen - No service

Ameobi - ditto

Cacapa - no time

Overall it was a bit of reality check this one, there's still a lot to do. People shouldn't be too dissapointed though, Villa are a good side who played well at Liverpool last week. Both sides were well drilled and had a high workrate, there wasn't much space on the pitch.

villa are boring as s*** though to be fair... the boys tried hard and the ref was being a c*** to duks all game.... not a bad try but i would have started 451 against villa just because of the way they played f****** pricks

Who looked the likelier to score? And playing 4-5-1 at home?

Did you watch the match?

in fact i did playing 451 at home against villa will actually allow our players to pass the ball to another midfield player........... instead of giving it away so many times we did

well if u want to play 2dms

We played 4-3-3 and then 4-4-2, never saw 4-5-1 at all

We were outniumbered in midfield in the first half but still held OK

Worried that we were nearly caught froim 2 of our own corners (again!!)

Shouldn't have taken Martins off. We looked a much better side with him on. Would've been better to take Viduka off and stopped the long balls, as we were being outmuscled in the air anyway.

Milner MOTM, only creativity in midfield. Zoggy looks great aswell, he just needs to stick to the wing after he's taken his man on more often though

I disagree totally about Martins. He'd completely disappeared from the game in the second half.

zog 5 worrying thing. in defence 7 but lost nearly every ball

Honestly what game were you watching? you have him down as our worst player and that is bullshit, fool!

Maybe you are related to Roeder though?

Shouldn't have taken Martins off. We looked a much better side with him on. Would've been better to take Viduka off and stopped the long balls, as we were being outmuscled in the air anyway.

Milner MOTM, only creativity in midfield. Zoggy looks great aswell, he just needs to stick to the wing after he's taken his man on more often though

I disagree totally about Martins. He'd completely disappeared from the game in the second half.

He looked knackered after 60mins. As did Milner, who struggled to run for the last 20 minutes.

It was a game that was needed. The hype needs to stop or at least calm down a whole lot. This is still a team far from being complete. We're only two competitive matches into the season and people are expecting nice attacking football? Has anyone noticed that this is a formation which NONE of our players are used to? I'm not making excuses for the inept attacking display but I fully empathize with BS and realize that we have to calm down. Has anyone noticed how the other teams in the league have started? Spurs lost 2 in a row before recovering today. Manyoo are only on 2 points after two matches. Chelsea were very good for only 10 minutes and then went back into the sloppiness which plagued them the whole game against Reading. No team has started on fire, and we should be analyzing the team's performance in relative to how the other teams, especially our direct competitors (Spurs, Everton and Villa etc.), have done.

Regarding today's performance, I thought Zoggy and Milner were our best players. Milner was trying his darn hardest to create something. Viduka was disappointing and should have come off a lot earlier because at least Ameobi competed for balls in the air. I thought Laursen and Mellberg were brilliant. When Enrique's fit, I expect Sam to give Zoggy a go in the middle in games like these, especially at home. We're lacking that drive in the middle of the park; Geremi's always looking to pass, Butt needs to stop with his playmaking bs and Smith's creative abilities is limited. We're lacking the drive that we lacked when Emre and Parker was in the middle. There needs to be a balance, something which will be hard to find if Smith and Butt are paired together in a game in which the onus to attack is on us. I'm not sure if Barton will be a better fit but we need a playmaker or at least give Zoggy/Emre a real go.

Overall though, we shouldn't be displeased; 4 points from the first couple of games was something most of us would have been happy with and we should be looking at that. Our next few games aren't the hardest as well so we should at least be picking up more points, especially if we continue to be solid at the back, something which most people have overlooked in criticizing the attack today.

Guest Guinness

It's only one match, sure the performance wasn't the best but it's not as if we lost. MON got his tactics right, a draw at home isn't the end of the world. Sam won't be happy with the result and I'm sure he'll be working on it this week.

If you take a look at our subs we really had zero midfield options:

Subs: Forster, Ramage, Cacapa, Shola, Owen

Therefore I think thats the reason nothing much happened today and our midfield was the main problem. We could only shift around our already playing midfield so there was no surprise midfielder coming off the bench to create a magic chance or 2.

We could bring on Shola and Owen again and again but if theres no creative midfielder to accompany/help them out once they're on then I doubt much will come of it. Villa defended stoutley and sometimes you need a bit of magic to light the fire (wtf).............if you get what I mean :razz:

zoggy was both good and bad, did a lot of running and fairly sound defensively (apart from agbonlahor selling him down the tyne once) and was our best dribbler and bright spark. but his final ball and decisions in the final third were poor.

Guest LucasUnger

zog wasn't our worst player, true have to change that 5 to a 6. but if he loses so many balls to someone like c. ronaldo we will get beaten 4 -0 or somethin.

the defence was the best of this game. but they all were shit in going forward. don't you think?

It was a game that was needed. The hype needs to stop or at least calm down a whole lot. This is still a team far from being complete. We're only two competitive matches into the season and people are expecting nice attacking football? Has anyone noticed that this is a formation which NONE of our players are used to? I'm not making excuses for the inept attacking display but I fully empathize with BS and realize that we have to calm down. Has anyone noticed how the other teams in the league have started? Spurs lost 2 in a row before recovering today. Manyoo are only on 2 points after two matches. Chelsea were very good for only 10 minutes and then went back into the sloppiness which plagued them the whole game against Reading. No team has started on fire, and we should be analyzing the team's performance in relative to how the other teams, especially our direct competitors (Spurs, Everton and Villa etc.), have done.

Regarding today's performance, I thought Zoggy and Milner were our best players. Milner was trying his darn hardest to create something. Viduka was disappointing and should have come off a lot earlier because at least Ameobi competed for balls in the air. I thought Laursen and Mellberg were brilliant. When Enrique's fit, I expect Sam to give Zoggy a go in the middle in games like these, especially at home. We're lacking that drive in the middle of the park; Geremi's always looking to pass, Butt needs to stop with his playmaking bs and Smith's creative abilities is limited. We're lacking the drive that we lacked when Emre and Parker was in the middle. There needs to be a balance, something which will be hard to find if Smith and Butt are paired together in a game in which the onus to attack is on us. I'm not sure if Barton will be a better fit but we need a playmaker or at least give Zoggy/Emre a real go.

Overall though, we shouldn't be displeased; 4 points from the first couple of games was something most of us would have been happy with and we should be looking at that. Our next few games aren't the hardest as well so we should at least be picking up more points, especially if we continue to be solid at the back, something which most people have overlooked in criticizing the attack today.

Good post  and Agree what i was saying before the game

The booing at the end was just disgraceful. Villa was always going to be our toughest game until at least the Hammers or Man City (I didn't rate Bolton without Allardyce at all...) Yeah, we lacked any real creativity going forward but so did Villa. Sam's still trying to find the best squad for us, and our fans really need to learn some patience unless they WANT our players to start dreading home games. Look at the massive upheaval of the club over the past few months. Half our players have still only played a handful of games together and even in a boring, goalless draw they still looked more comfortable and cohesive in defense than half our performances under Roeder. So fuck's sake, have some patience and don't expect a top-6 team to magically form overnight.

(Not directed at anyone on here, just a general reaction)

i would also settle for that

Milner should have gone off instead of Oba. Milner isn't the sort of player we need late on when we're trying to get a goal, we need raw pace.

BS said oba and gerami had niggling injuries

Guest Dr Jeckl

They need to start earning there fucking money,i got out of jail a few months ago and now i'm earning £250 a week and have never been so blessed in my life and working my socks off,these cunts are being paid that type of silly money for doing fuck all,i'd been looking forward to this match all week,what a dissapointment,really fucking sick of newcastle me like.

The booing at the end was just disgraceful. Villa was always going to be our toughest game until at least the Hammers or Man City (I didn't rate Bolton without Allardyce at all...) Yeah, we lacked any real creativity going forward but so did Villa. Sam's still trying to find the best squad for us, and our fans really need to learn some patience unless they WANT our players to start dreading home games. Look at the massive upheaval of the club over the past few months. Half our players have still only played a handful of games together and even in a boring, goalless draw they still looked more comfortable and cohesive in defense than half our performances under Roeder. So f***'s sake, have some patience and don't expect a top-6 team to magically form overnight.

(Not directed at anyone on here, just a general reaction)

You're spot on there, some of the reactions to our performance are incredible.

They need to start earning there f****** money,i got out of jail a few months ago and now i'm earning £250 a week and have never been so blessed in my life and working my socks off,these c***s are being paid that type of silly money for doing f*** all,i'd been looking forward to this match all week,what a dissapointment,really f****** sick of newcastle me like.

wot crime did you commit to be put inside?