Toon Ultras Portfolio

Heron

Outsang by the Barnsley lot who were fantastic.

Maybe it is where you sit (?) but i never heard the Barnsley lot once! Sitting about 100 yards from the Ultras was great. Never paused for breath.

Well done :clap:

It put some smiles on some faces and created a great atmosphere.

Shame about the stewards reaction at one point but nice to see everyone took note around and supported you til they disapeared.

Would of been awful without the Ultras tonight atmospher-wise.

Would these people not sing like if they weren't under the banner "The Ultras"?

Guest BooBoo

Thought the ultras were great tonight. Well done those in the Strawberry Corner who kept a low key game going with a decent atmos. Those who are having a pop, get to more games and start some songs of your own off.  :nope:

Guest Knightrider

Maybe it is where you sit (?) but i never heard the Barnsley lot once! Sitting about 100 yards from the Ultras was great. Never paused for breath.

Shame about the stewards reaction at one point but nice to see everyone took note around and supported you til they disapeared.

I was joking about the Ultras btw, they did indeed do well, although the Barnsley fans were fantastic and a credit to their team. Good number turned up by the looks of it.

It was Defcon 6 in the SE corner. They even had the 'Response Team' out in force (I've never seen them before so assume this is the first time there's ever been anything worth responding to).

The stewards all nicking off with a minute to go was quite humourous, I must admit!

This.

I thought it was great. Dont want to fill this thread with pictures from tonight, but if anyone wants to see them and the videos check out this thread.

I only heard the away fans a few times, but there was constant noise around me so its to be expected. Good turnout by them though, credit to them.

And btw, if anyone saw a flag being held up through the match saying "We are the mags" then that was me  :thup:

Got to say - i thought the Ultras were absolutely brilliant tonight. Like i've said elsewhere, i've got little to compare it to, but i thought they were great. I was in that South East corner (directly above the corner flag, i'm hoping i got on TV :coolsmiley: ), and they generated a great atmosphere.

I must admit i was proud of our effort tonight, but what actually made the atmosphere so good was the stewards being wankers. If they hadn't have done that i think people might have got increasingly frustrated and it would have only been our block singing. But becaus ethey were awkwards parts of the East Stand, Gallowgate and the remainder of 'The Corner' got on our side which pumped the volume up more.

Regarding the meeting with the club, i think they are considering us, but seem to be doing it in an unproffessional manner. But lets face it, Toon Ultras is a nothing organisation compared to Newcastle United, and although Bringing The Noise Back may be our top priority it is highly unlikely to be top of theres.

With a bit of patience, and singing in the stands like tonight, i am sure everything will fall into place. Thanks for the compliments lads (and lasses).

I must admit i was proud of our effort tonight, but what actually made the atmosphere so good was the stewards being wankers. If they hadn't have done that i think people might have got increasingly frustrated and it would have only been our block singing. But becaus ethey were awkwards parts of the East Stand, Gallowgate and the remainder of 'The Corner' got on our side which pumped the volume up more.

Regarding the meeting with the club, i think they are considering us, but seem to be doing it in an unproffessional manner. But lets face it, Toon Ultras is a nothing organisation compared to Newcastle United, and although Bringing The Noise Back may be our top priority it is highly unlikely to be top of theres.

With a bit of patience, and singing in the stands like tonight, i am sure everything will fall into place. Thanks for the compliments lads (and lasses).

Wow.

Care to expand on that?

Don't take this as just another insult, call it constructive criticism if you like.

Who were your representatives who met with the club? If they were all just 16 or whatever then how professional do you expect the club to be dealing with you? And I can guarantee that until the name is changed there is no way you will get any official recognition or support. Your 'portfolio' or 'manifesto' or whatever you are now calling it has some good ideas but stands out as exactly what it is, a schoolboys report. You need to get some adult help, setting it out and rewording parts. Ideally all this should have been done before you met with them because first impressions will stick, but if you manage to get another meeting then get some more mature representatives and try to go about the whole thing in the same 'professional manner' that you want to be treated.

Don't take this as just another insult, call it constructive criticism if you like.

Who were your representatives who met with the club? If they were all just 16 or whatever then how professional do you expect the club to be dealing with you? And I can guarantee that until the name is changed there is no way you will get any official recognition or support. Your 'portfolio' or 'manifesto' or whatever you are now calling it has some good ideas but stands out as exactly what it is, a schoolboys report. You need to get some adult help, setting it out and rewording parts. Ideally all this should have been done before you met with them because first impressions will stick, but if you manage to get another meeting then get some more mature representatives and try to go about the whole thing in the same 'professional manner' that you want to be treated.

One of the people who went to the meeting is in his 20s, and I'm fairly sure the others aren't far behind that, so it wasn't exactly 'kids' who attended the meeting.

We had me-aged 17, Kane-aged 18 and Jordan-aged 21 (i think) so i think it is fair to say we had decent representatives.

Fair point about the 'portfolio', it may ahve sounded a little immature, but the Toon Ultras is made up predominantly by youths. They cannot expect us to be Einsteins with loads of experience. I personally believe it was set out well enough to get our point across in a nice manner. But in the future we could maybe ask some of your writers or something to help us out?

Regarding my previous post, i think they are dealing with us slightly unprofessionally because they said they would be back in touch within a week and two weeks have passed. It doesn't take much to ring up and have a brief 5minute chat to say what the crack is. Like i have said, they will have bigger fish to fry, but i think they could keep us happy by updating us.

We had me-aged 17, Kane-aged 18 and Jordan-aged 21 (i think) so i think it is fair to say we had decent representatives.

Fair point about the 'portfolio', it may ahve sounded a little immature, but the Toon Ultras is made up predominantly by youths. They cannot expect us to be Einsteins with loads of experience. I personally believe it was set out well enough to get our point across in a nice manner. But in the future we could maybe ask some of your writers or something to help us out?

Regarding my previous post, i think they are dealing with us slightly unprofessionally because they said they would be back in touch within a week and two weeks have passed. It doesn't take much to ring up and have a brief 5minute chat to say what the crack is. Like i have said, they will have bigger fish to fry, but i think they could keep us happy by updating us.

Would these be the writers/members that were ''all cunts'' last night by any chance?

From nufc.com (sorry if already posted)

Carling Cup: Sing in the corner

http://www.nufc.com/2007-08images/bring-back-the-noise.jpg

Credit where credit is due - the Bring Back the Noise boys (formerly known as Toon Ultras) made their stand - quite literally - on Wednesday evening.

Gathering in the South East corner (pictured) their efforts prevented the tie from being an almost totally soundless affair, save from the away fans up in Level Seven.

And their displays of scarves, flags and banners brought some much-needed colour to the proceedings.

The only down side seems to have been some over-zealous stewarding, which if anything looks to have galvanised the singers into greater efforts and succeeded in their declared objective - of inspiring other spectators into actively supporting their side.

From nufc.com (sorry if already posted)

Carling Cup: Sing in the corner

http://www.nufc.com/2007-08images/bring-back-the-noise.jpg

Credit where credit is due - the Bring Back the Noise boys (formerly known as Toon Ultras) made their stand - quite literally - on Wednesday evening.

Gathering in the South East corner (pictured) their efforts prevented the tie from being an almost totally soundless affair, save from the away fans up in Level Seven.

And their displays of scarves, flags and banners brought some much-needed colour to the proceedings.

The only down side seems to have been some over-zealous stewarding, which if anything looks to have galvanised the singers into greater efforts and succeeded in their declared objective - of inspiring other spectators into actively supporting their side.

Bring Back the Noise boys

Much better name :thup:

(Although it will be branded as sexist by some people :lol: )

Guest BooBoo

Would these be the writers/members that were ''all c***s'' last night by any chance?

Howay man, cut the lads a bit of slack. Its admirable what they're tring to achieve and the atmos last night would have been otherwise crap.

Would these be the writers/members that were ''all c***s'' last night by any chance?

Howay man, cut the lads a bit of slack. Its admirable what they're tring to achieve and the atmos last night would have been otherwise crap.

Hang on. I've got no problem with what they're trying to achieve. Bringing a bit of an atmosphere to home games is an admirable cause.

It's the way they are treating people that's getting on my tits. They insult every member on here and suddenly, 12 hours later, they're fishing for help from the very same people. They just come across as being so far up their own arseholes it's untrue.

They've just got an attitude problem and have an over-inflated opinion of themselves in general. 'You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar' as my mam always says...

Guest Bramble OG

i can see they put alot of effort in but i just dont like the idea of organised singing sections, to me its as tacky as bolton style bands sat in the corner playing drums to try get the stadium singing..

IIRC it was posted in another thread that the club said they would not help you while you are called the "Ultra's".

just a thought, but maybe the club are waiting until the name is changed before replying.

By changing the name you show the club that you are a serious about wanting to help change the atmosphere in the ground.

p.s. you were missed in lvl 7, had to put up with pissed up kids all night, who were more interested in having a go at the Barnsley fans than supporting the team. consequently one of them got thrown out before kick off.

Bring Back the Noise (aka Toon Ultras) is a worthy cause, in my opinion.

The 'famous' atmosphere has been lacking for a while now, exemplified by long periods of Highbury-esque silence under Souness and Roeder. Granted, there hasn't been much to sing about (poor results, heading in the wrong direction, half-arsed players, etc) but I'm of the firm believer that all of the fans should be behind the shirt for the 90-minutes or so on a Saturday afternoon.

Echoing many of the thoughts put forward by others, both on this forum and in the pub/ground, there's a certain 'yobbishness' implied when one person starts singing on their own, this is worsened when nobody else joins in and you end up feeling like a bit of a nutter(!). Having a designated area(s) of the ground where you can knowingly buy a seat surrounded by like-minded fans - i.e. those who wish to support the team vocally & visually - would be a vast improvement on the current situation, where I have often ended up next to 'John' & 'Bill' who take the phrase "spectator sport" a little too literally..!

The enthusiam and effort shown to date by the 'Toon Ultras' should be roundly applauded by anyone who claims to have the best interests of NUFC at heart. It was proven on Sunday that the crowd can play a part in affecting a player's confidence and mood, a powerful weapon for any football team, especially a premiership club where the margins for error are so small already.

However, the manner in which the 'Toon Ultras' are going about highlighting their campaign does require smartening up if they really want to be a long-lasting success and not another flash-in-the-pan supporters group (i.e. the original Bring Back the Noise movement). The enthusiasm and effort is commendable, but it will only take you so far, careful management and expertise is needed to ensure the campaign moves forward in the right direction and continues to grow. Naturally, the more successful the campaign is, the more members you will have which will require stronger leadership.

It comes across as though certain members of the TU/BBTN 'leadership' are unable or unwilling to release any power or influence over the group, even if it would further the cause in the short and long term. For example, BBTN/TU managed to get a meeting with the club to discuss their ideas face-to-face. Congratulations.

Really, that is a fantastic achievement, something which may never have happened under the old regime and is a just reward for your hard work so far. However, the opportunity was there to invite wiser/older/more experienced heads into the campaign BEFORE you sat down with the club and handed over your 'portfolio'. With the lure of a meeting with the club, you could have certainly brought in the experienced head to brush up the appearance of the campaign. Afterall, it seems obvious that the key ingredient missing from group is credibility.

Credibility in the eyes of the club, credibility in the eyes of the local press, credibility to your fellow fans. Without a level of credibility, you're going to continue to stumble through as a 200-or-so collection of young lads, who'll eventually disband as life gets in the way of football.

This is a bit of a ramble now, but what I'm trying to say is well done, you've got so far, but the people who currently 'run' TU/BBTN need to understand that they can't achieve their aims (or even get close) without accepting help AND working with a broader scope of fan.

Think about it. Try to pin-point where you might be going wrong: with the club, the press and the rest of the fans. Invite people to work with you but don't throw their comments back in their face - it's all about credibility.

Guest samjack

i was in the south stand (gallowgate) about 3 or 4 seats away from the 'Ultras' with my 6 year old lad, it was his first ever game at st james's & i was over the moon that we were so close to the continous waves of noise & flag waving just so he could sample a bit of 'atmosphere' like it used to be when i was about 12 or 13 (& i'm nearly 40 now :-[) & i used to get in that same area for every  game.

I managed a bit of speradic chanting to the amusement of me youngun but i'm not suprised these lot are so young cos i reckon they're are the only ones that could manage 90 mins worth of singing & jumping about (no beer bellies yet!!)

Keep it going lads  :clap2: :clap:

Guest johnson293

Not sure if its been posted, but this is on NUFC.com about last nights match, as a follow up to thei rpiece praising the 'singing section'...

Carling Cup - a view:

Strawberry fools

Our observations above were from the opposite end of the ground and on that basis, the visible and audible element informed our comments.

A number of readers however who were in the vicinity of the Strawberry corner have emailed in to express their unhappiness with the events of Wednesday night, eg:

Dave H:

Cant disagree more, yesterday I was very much in favour of the efforts of the Bring back the noise, and while I still support for the need to create a section solely for that, I must condemn the moronic behaviour of some those involved.

I was sitting in the Gallowgate right next to the corner, and witnessed myself some drunken behaviour, with "Ultra's" being escorted out by Stewards with full plastic glasses of lager.

One idiot even walked along the concourse waving his glass in the air, until he was apprehended & taken away by the constabulary. 

The stewards who operate in this area and do a good job in assisting supporters every match day did not deserve the abuse or being spat at, they were only doing their job. 

Supporters who were not part of the Ultras in the corner were also subjected to abuse when they complained about obstructed views.

I agree that the majority of the ultras were good-humoured and made a lot of noise.

However in my mind they have done their cause no great favours if they cannot respect other people around them or stadium rules.