Steven Taylor

SUPERTOON

Not sure what you're trying to achieve by pointing out other players who had poor games in a thread about Taylor tbh.

Just trying to point out that he certainly wasn't the only one who was poor today, and he certainly wasn't the worst.

But I guess you knew that really.

You mean you were trying to shift some of the criticism on to other players.

Still, I'm sure John Terry was spinning around like a dull cunt when he was 22.

Spot on, thats exactly what I was doing and is my point entirely.  Others were worse than Taylor.

Nah Terry wasn't spinning round like a dull cunt, he was an England regular by then wasn't he O0

Well he'd started 5 games in a row for them including 3 in Euro 2004 qualifiers so yes, that to me is someone who's become a regular in the National team.

Not that I want to upset the fan boys with facts or anything.

When they weren't picking Ferdinand for missing a drugs test you mean?  5 caps by the time he turned 23 = England regular.  Still don't see what Taylor's performance today has to do with him though.  All I've said in the past is Terry certainly wasn't the finished article then. 

I've told you why I was mentioning other players quite legitamately, because others were worse.  Taylor was poor today I've said that already.

Nice one with the fan boy comment as well, I'll resist the temptation to get personal.

If anyone started 5 games in a row for England including 3 Euro qualifiers then I'd class them as becoming a regular wouldn't you?

He partnered Ferdinand in the first of the 5 so there's no saying he would have lost his place, and all before he was 23 too. :smug:

You said Terry was average which is bollocks, keep digging though.

At 22 Terry was average.

Terry got in when Ferdinand was suspended by the FA.  No debating that.  Thats how he got his chance, no debating that either.  He had only 5 caps as a result when he turned 23, also no debating that.

Let me know when the hole I'm digging is big enough for you

That said, Lawrenson has just said Taylor is our best defender, so perhaps I am wrong after all :lol:

Not sure what you're trying to achieve by pointing out other players who had poor games in a thread about Taylor tbh.

Just trying to point out that he certainly wasn't the only one who was poor today, and he certainly wasn't the worst.

Still, I'm sure John Terry was spinning around like a dull cunt when he was 22.

Spot on, thats exactly what I was doing and is my point entirely.  Others were worse than Taylor.

Nah Terry wasn't spinning round like a dull cunt, he was an England regular by then wasn't he O0

Well he'd started 5 games in a row for them including 3 in Euro 2004 qualifiers so yes, that to me is someone who's become a regular in the National team.

Not that I want to upset the fan boys with facts or anything.

When they weren't picking Ferdinand for missing a drugs test you mean?  5 caps by the time he turned 23 = England regular.  Still don't see what Taylor's performance today has to do with him though.  All I've said in the past is Terry certainly wasn't the finished article then. 

I've told you why I was mentioning other players quite legitamately, because others were worse.  Taylor was poor today I've said that already.

Nice one with the fan boy comment as well, I'll resist the temptation to get personal.

If anyone started 5 games in a row for England including 3 Euro qualifiers then I'd class them as becoming a regular wouldn't you?

He partnered Ferdinand in the first of the 5 so there's no saying he would have lost his place, and all before he was 23 too. :smug:

You said Terry was average which is bollocks, keep digging though.

At 22 Terry was average.

Terry got in when Ferdinand was suspended by the FA.  No debating that.  Thats how he got his chance, no debating that either.  He had only 5 caps as a result when he turned 23, also no debating that.

Let me know when the hole I'm digging is big enough for you

That said, Lawrenson has just said Taylor is our best defender, so perhaps I am wrong after all :lol:

6 caps and his first full cap was partnering Ferdinand at the back before he got banned, he may or may not have been a regular starter if Ferdinand wasn't banned but the fact is he would have been there or there abouts.

He was a far better player then than Taylor is now too.

Still, I'm sure John Terry was spinning around like a dull c*** when he was 22.

No, they weren't..

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

what about moving cacapa next to taylor at CB and moving faye into midfield?  having a stronger, more physically imposing midfielder in front of him would  probably diffuse a lot of the type of pressure that taylor had to deal with today.  i get the impression that faye should be the one to take over for nicky butt provided we have cacapa healthy... 

what about moving cacapa next to taylor at CB and moving faye into midfield?  having a stronger, more physically imposing midfielder in front of him would  probably diffuse a lot of the type of pressure that taylor had to deal with today.  i get the impression that faye should be the one to take over for nicky butt provided we have cacapa healthy... 

Aye because the most important thing for NUFC is that Taylor is not allowed to look bad and must be accomodated. :jesuswept:

I said something similar while ago but if his name was something along the lines of 'Jean De Talaise', as opposed to being a local product which he is, he would've been lynched from the Tyne Bridge by now............. a fate destined for the likes of Buomsong etc etc.

How true, but because he's 'ours' no doubt others will be made the scapegoat. The goal where Ronaldo just ran past him to score his second was a fucking joke. Absolute shambles.

Guest Knightrider

Taylor is no different to any of our players when the going gets tough - they are all liabilities. Faye had as much as a mare as he did yet he doesn't get any criticism where as the rout actually stemmed from golden boy Charlie and his positional walk about. In short they are all second rate when it comes to the crunch. Obviously some will recover and prove good players for us, most won't. I'd have Taylor in my squad ahead of a good few of them though, although ideally, I'd get rid of most of them.

Guest neesy111

i can't believe some fans will not say he's crap because he's a geordie

WAKE UP our defence looked better with bramble and boumsong ffs

the guy is a complete joke of a defender, can't tackle, can't pass, marking is from rugby

i can't believe some fans will not say he's crap because he's a geordie

WAKE UP our defence looked better with bramble and boumsong ffs

the guy is a complete joke of a defender, can't tackle, can't pass, marking is from rugby

Loads of people slam him on here, if fact it is one coolest topics on here.

He was incredibly poor yesterday like. Moreso than Faye, before anyone starts - who I do realise was also fairly gash.

Beye looked the only competent defender out of them all, and even he was found out a few times.

If someone can list me a Taylor strength other than his commitment, then I'd be interested to see how many others would agree with it.

He's poor in the air for a centre-half, he lacks any sort of strength, he's not particularly fast, he doesn't read the game well, he makes mistakes. I want him to do well as much as anyone, but I can't see it happening unless he was put into an already-established defensive unit.

Chuck him in with Carragher, Finnan and Arbeloa at Liverpool and he'd probably be alright, but at Newcastle and with nowhere to hide he's getting found out time and time again. You can't just blame one or the other, but the circumstances AND the player are contributing to his performances and he is, as others have said, as much a liability as Rozehnal was/Cacapa is.

He was incredibly poor yesterday like. Moreso than Faye, before anyone starts - who I do realise was also fairly gash.

Beye looked the only competent defender out of them all, and even he was found out a few times.

If someone can list me a Taylor strength other than his commitment, then I'd be interested to see how many others would agree with it.

He's poor in the air for a centre-half, he lacks any sort of strength, he's not particularly fast, he doesn't read the game well, he makes mistakes. I want him to do well as much as anyone, but I can't see it happening unless he was put into an already-established defensive unit.

Chuck him in with Carragher, Finnan and Arbeloa at Liverpool and he'd probably be alright, but at Newcastle and with nowhere to hide he's getting found out time and time again. You can't just blame one or the other, but the circumstances AND the player are contributing to his performances and he is, as others have said, as much a liability as Rozehnal was/Cacapa is.

Cacapa is twice the player Taylor is or ever will be

This is what we should be doing.

Barton, Smith, Butt have all failed at dominating the midfield.  Faye has the physical side to be more dominate than the rest.

Cacapa is twice the player Taylor is or ever will be

He struggles as much as Taylor in the Premiership though, which is what matters.

Faye hasn't been as brilliant as some on here think, but he at least seems to have all of the "tools" required to be a good Premiership defender.

We could do with finding him a proper partner for next season though.