Newcastle Vs England

SUPERTOON
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Care more about Newcastle.

I do support England but sometimes its hard to have a passion for the national team. I love all Newcastle games and even get excited by friendlies etc but wouldn't go out of my way to watch an England international.

Would actually make more of an effort to watch the U21's.

I support newcastle before england, With newcastle we have a team that is doing the best it can and trying to improve....with england we have a team that when fully fit can be a top 5 team in the world but plays like a top 15 club! they demand money for playing!??! whats that all about :rant:

I am pretty sure the players chose a few months back to donate all their match fees to charity.

Whenever England lose it takes me, literally, a few seconds to get over it/forget about it.

I don't like seeing them lose and I'd love to see them win the World Cup but I don't really care when they do inevitably get knocked out.

When I saw this I thought it would be an actual comparison between the newcastle side and the england side as in the last game they played probably what Allardyce considers one of our midfielders up front and probably 6th choice for playing up top (Milner, Duke, Owen, Ameobi Martins all ahead of him) and that our strikeforce is better at the moment with the injuries for england........ which it is.

Guest optimistic nit

I would rather England win the World Cup than Newcastle win the league.

hmmmmmmm that actually sounds what the real alan shearer would say

i'm pretty sure alan shearer threatened to withdraw from world cup 98 due to the lennon incident.

during the domestic season newcastle, during the world cup/euro championships england. not so concerned about england during qualifying or friendlies as it is pretty boring, while during a tournament when newcastle aren't playing, england takes priority.

Basically, this. I have a good laugh and poke fun about the England set-up (Steve McClaren ffs), but i want them to win because i can't face World Cups and Euros without someone to follow.

The sort of thing Shearer would say was that Newcastle fans wanted to win the FA Cup more than the league. Which was equally as crazy.

Have to say I'm far more into England cricket now McClaren has taken over, so obviously much more up for Newcastle. That said, still feel gutted when we're shit. Feel no connection as no Newcastle players except Owen ever make the team, and it annoys me that they don't even seem to consider Milner when Gareth Barry and Ashley Young can make the squad. I think Taylor is there more as a symbolic incentive to show the Under 21s that their level is actually relevant.

However, never on at the same time so it's not like you have to choose.

Care more about Newcastle.

I do support England but sometimes its hard to have a passion for the national team. I love all Newcastle games and even get excited by friendlies etc

Would actually make more of an effort to watch the England U21's.

:thup:

the only people who care more about england than their clubs are fans of shite small town clubs. you know the sort. they go to every england game and like to have a fight following england abroad because there's fuck all to to in their backwater home town.

b) Now there is a slight chance i'm wrong, but i'm 99.9% certain that if England won the world cup you'd have flags up in your window and be out partying with the rest of the nation.

Fuck that! As much as I love Newcastle, if England even QUALIFY for a competition, I've got the flags up on the window :lol:

the only people who care more about england than their clubs are fans of shite small town clubs. you know the sort. they go to every england game and like to have a fight following england abroad because there's fuck all to to in their backwater home town.

Largely true. The most committed England fans seem to be people from one-horse towns with a shit club. You can see it at England games -- all those Union Jack banners with "Carlisle" and "Northhampton" written on them. Last time I was at an England game I met a load of people from Hartlepool.

For me there's no competition. They're different things. Newcastle is my club and England is my national team. I care whether either win or lose. Like someone upthread said, the current England is like Newcastle under Roeder. They're not very good, but that doesn't mean they stop being my team.

It's got fuck all to do with nationalism, either. I've spent half my adult life living abroad, and these days I'm not in England because I prefer being where I am. In a way, though, that makes me want England to win even more than I might do otherwise. Being abroad means my friends are from all over the place, so international football is one of the ways in which we bicker and compete.

Nor do I see England as a "southern thing". Some of England's best ever players (Gazza, Waddle, Beardsley, Shearer) came from our way, as did one of the best national managers (Bobby). We currently have the national striker. We're as close to the national team as any other club.

Sure, most qualifiers are boring, and friendlies are pretty much always boring. But what can compete with an England-Argentina game? Or England-Germany? I was at the 5-1 in Munich and it was one of the best games I ever went to in my life. On the other hand, England vs Hungary isn't a patch on Newcastle vs the mackems.

In the end, there's no reason to choose one over the other.

It all depends on which country you live in tbh.

If you live abroad then there is no 'geordie' or 'scouse' or whatever, we're all English or British.

In the light of this though, there is no discussion for me regarding us winning something over England.

I think England winning the world cup in my lifetime would make me very, very happy indeed.

I know Villa winning the League and European Cup made me as happy as I've ever been in my life.

Which would I choose? Option a for the first time in my life or either in option b to happen again? Option b every time.

TBH, seeing Watford win in the play-off final again would be better for me than England winning the world cup or european championships, let alone Watford winning the league or Champions League.  :laugh2:

It all depends on which country you live in tbh.

If you live abroad then there is no 'geordie' or 'scouse' or whatever, we're all English or British.

In the light of this though, there is no discussion for me regarding us winning something over England.

I dunno. Watching the England-Germany Euro 2000 game in Budapest, when Shearer scored I do remember a quick chorus of "Geordies here, Geordies there, Geordies every-fucking-where!"

The sort of thing Shearer would say was that Newcastle fans wanted to win the FA Cup more than the league. Which was equally as crazy.

I would rather win the FA Cup than the league

Both equally.

I'd rather see Newcastle win something big than see England win the World Cup though.

The main advantage about watching England is that you know that the vast majority of the players are 100% loyal to the shirt and will give everything they have in any (competitive) match.  There aren't any questionable loyalties.

I would rather win the FA Cup than the league

Yeah, but you apparently celebrate throw ins so nobody's going to take you seriously.